Mosin Nagant (With Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1941 Izhmash. Mismatched bayonet if that matters. Pretty rough, but I did end up buying a stock off a 1935 Tula from a previous co worker. It's absolutely beautiful.

I'd like to find a Remington MG.

My father purchased me a Mosin Nagant as my first rifle my freshman year of high school (2013).I killed a buck the 2nd day of the deer season and on the 4th a doe. I have taken about 3-4 deer with it since. When I go hunting with people they can't believe I use it. I'm a really good shot with it! Defiantly the best $150 ever spent on a gun. Last year I purchased a Vepr since I like the 7.62X54R cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Driz
What I’d like to know is how they managed to make the explosive bullets for this and the Mauser.

If I remember correctly, they were made for aircraft machineguns, then adopted by Eastern Front snipers on both sides.

The Forgotten Weapons guy has a video about them. I think it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXaaybiRiYY

Originally Posted By: emg
What I’d like to know is how they managed to make the explosive bullets for this and the Mauser.

If I remember correctly, they were made for aircraft machineguns, then adopted by Eastern Front snipers on both sides.

UM, where can I get some of this ammo?
banana2.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
They're fun guns and minute of man accuracy, but it's hard for me to say they are worth the prices they command nowadays.

Yeah, many sellers were asking $500+ (Canadian) at the last gun show I went to. You can buy into the low end of modern hunting rifles for less.

They used to be popular because they were cheap, now, as you say, they're popular because of their history. I got to shoot a WWII Mosin sniper rifle a while ago, and while I was looking through the scope at the target I was wondering who'd carried it in the war, and whether they'd actually had to shoot any Nazis with it.

I have to say, I was surprised by how little recoil there was, because I'd heard a number of people complain about how hard Mosins kicked. The .308 Tikka I've fired kicks a lot more, but probably weighs a pound or two less.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Nice rifles! That PRVI PARTIZAN ammo is good stuff. Made in Yugoslavia if I remember correctly.

Now Serbia https://www.prvipartizan.com

Excellent ammo. I’ve gone through quite a bit of PPU. Particularly their M1 Garand load.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
They're fun guns and minute of man accuracy, but it's hard for me to say they are worth the prices they command nowadays.

Yeah, many sellers were asking $500+ (Canadian) at the last gun show I went to. You can buy into the low end of modern hunting rifles for less.

They used to be popular because they were cheap, now, as you say, they're popular because of their history. I got to shoot a WWII Mosin sniper rifle a while ago, and while I was looking through the scope at the target I was wondering who'd carried it in the war, and whether they'd actually had to shoot any Nazis with it.

I have to say, I was surprised by how little recoil there was, because I'd heard a number of people complain about how hard Mosins kicked. The .308 Tikka I've fired kicks a lot more, but probably weighs a pound or two less.

emg, I wish I had known then what I know now, about the MN. As I stated before, at one given time I had (14) MN's in my safe. My ex wife told me if I kept buying them that I would need another safe, and she would have something to say about that!
eek.gif

I can't tell you how many I actually bought/sold/traded when they were cheap, because I really don't know. I lost interest in them after I was divorced (1993), until about 3-4 years ago, when I bought the one I currently own. I only paid $100 for the rifle, all the accessories, and the nice wooden box the previous owner (a sheriffs Captain) made for it. I was looking on GUNBROKER.COM and the cheapest one I saw, not being bid on, was $200. Man, if I had all the ones I owned and let go back then, right now, I could make some serious $$$$'s!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

banana2.gif
20.gif

It's available in collector circles. Usually between $200-$400 per 15 round box.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
banana2.gif
20.gif

This type of stuff is much like obtaining .50 BMG Raufoss rounds. They are out there, but you have to be careful because they are expensive. Which means there is a lot of look alike, bogus counterfeiting going on. Especially at gun shows and the like. Where you don't have the traceability of the seller like you do at gun shops and established Internet ammo sales sites.

.50 BMG Raufoss rounds are legal, but they are not sold to the general public like Mil-Surp .50 BMG Ball ammo and Tracer is. The result is the few that do leak out can cost $75.00 a round and up. (I've seen them for as much as $150.00 each). Yet until you shoot it, you have no way of knowing if it's the real deal. Or some handloaders forged, counterfeit concoction. So the bottom line is unless you're dealing with someone you know and personally trust, you are taking a chance purchasing these rare "explosive" loads.

Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX
I had a Westinghouse at one point. Also came across a Westinghouse with Finn capture proof on it, but wasn't quick enough in snatching it up. I'd really like to find an all numbers matching Sniper one day.

The PU Snipers are fantastic and are very accurate with the right ammo. I have several PU Snipers and the two that I shoot can produce 1.5MOA groups.

These are a 1943 and 1944 Izhevsk produced snipers:
J7Ih4AU.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, but they were like that when I got them. They are post WWII arsenal refurbs like 99% of the PU snipers in the USA. The '43 (bottom) has an especially nice trigger and is a fantastic shooter.

I've tried a bunch of different surplus ammo and found that this one likes the 1952 vintage, factory 188 (Novosibirsk) heavy ball and the 1986 vintage Czech light ball from bxn coded factory (Sellier & Bellot). It's an impressive rifle when I do my part!

Looks like "Mothra" flew by at 14:25. Guess if you hit a deer in the guts it would pretty much be cleaned on the spot.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back