MoS2 for gears

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Going to use one each front bevel box and rear differential at my 100K service this year.

20230207_125454.jpg

We have hundreds of gear reducer boxes running in an industrial setting. I've been itching to buy one of these and set up a motor and box with an amp meter and do some rough testing. Curious if it has any effect on amp draw.
It was a why-not, seems like it's a good use-case for MoS2.

We have hundreds of gear reducer boxes running in an industrial setting. I've been itching to buy one of these and set up a motor and box with an amp meter and do some rough testing. Curious if it has any effect on amp draw.

with a 10% reduction in friction on the teeth surface, how much less amp draw would you expect? I mean, it does nothing for the power lost in the churning of the oil- and doesn't reduce the power needed at the end of the gearbox, so... with 98% efficiency overall, can it really deliver more than 0.1% reduction in power consumption and would you notice it?

Reactions: a5m
with a 10% reduction in friction on the teeth surface, how much less amp draw would you expect? I mean, it does nothing for the power lost in the churning of the oil- and doesn't reduce the power needed at the end of the gearbox, so... with 98% efficiency overall, can it really deliver more than 0.1% reduction in power consumption and would you notice it?
No idea. Probably wouldn't notice it at all. Do I need to justify further why I want to try it? Is pure curiosity not a good enough answer for you?

I had a chat with Mike Crosby about gear oils for differentials and gearboxes. HPL has done testing that showed a 2HP (1500 W) improvement on a NASCAR differential vs. a very large competitor’s gear oil. It also has a similar effect on gearboxes driven by electric motors, and it is significantly more than 0.1%. I’ll see if I can get some data, if they’re not guarding it.

Well as we know even in general cars, it seems that improving the transmission fluid seems to offer a big fuel economy difference versus a oil. I think lots more energy is usually lost in transmissions so being able to recover some of that by putting a more advanced fluid in there can help with power and economy.

Been using this in the rear diff and manual transmission of my 18 Forester for the past 90k miles, a few other vehicles as well. One thing I noticed ~2,000 mi. after adding this to the transmission oil was that the normal hot fluid gear meshing sounds under load had gotten quieter. Years later, I have not heard that sound in years although it was a normal sound.

I had a chat with Mike Crosby about gear oils for differentials and gearboxes. HPL has done testing that showed a 2HP (1500 W) improvement on a NASCAR differential vs. a very large competitor’s gear oil. It also has a similar effect on gearboxes driven by electric motors, and it is significantly more than 0.1%. I’ll see if I can get some data, if they’re not guarding it.
I spoke with Dave and he told me all about it.

2% out of 600 hp is not much over 0.3% it all depends if the oil also has a lower viscoity (MoS2 won't help on whatever is lost there). And it also depends on the actual efficiency of the whole unit of course.

2% out of 600 hp is not much over 0.3% it all depends if the oil also has a lower viscoity (MoS2 won't help on whatever is lost there). And it also depends on the actual efficiency of the whole unit of course.
Who said 600HP? This was measuring what the rear differential alone consumed to turn, on coastdown from speed (my bad for fingers beating the story to the punchline earlier). So it’s significantly more than 0.3%, and the viscosity was the same grade. Plus, no need or cost expenditure to buy the MoS2 because the needed moly & sulfur are already built into the formula.

Who said 600HP? This was measuring what the rear differential alone consumed to turn, on coastdown from speed (my bad for fingers beating the story to the punchline earlier). So it’s significantly more than 0.3%, and the viscosity was the same grade. Plus, no need or cost expenditure to buy the MoS2 because the needed moly & sulfur are already built into the formula.

so how much on power, when you actually want more power? On coastdown the final reduction is working in the opposite direction. Interesting result but not really meaningful

It's so interesting how for a site/group of folks that obsess about the minutae w/r to motor oils with no actual direct evidence that supports that any of it matters at all w/r to normal vehicle use that using a product like this can get so much dicussion/controversy.

It's so interesting how for a site/group of folks that obsess about the minutae w/r to motor oils with no actual direct evidence that supports that any of it matters at all w/r to normal vehicle use that using a product like this can get so much dicussion/controversy.

If mos2/graphite/ws2/boron nitride is going to help anywhere it's where you have sliding parts where the oil film is not thick enough.

the teeth in a gearbox roll, the bearings roll, the synchronizers slide but only when shifting gears, so all thats left is some gears in the diff that slide against the housing when there's a speed differential between axle halves.

I see very limited possibility for colloidal suspensions to reduce power loss. Other than that I'm not pro or contra the technology. I would like to know the truth, that's all. I will call out all bogus claims, including fall out.

If mos2/graphite/ws2/boron nitride is going to help anywhere it's where you have sliding parts where the oil film is not thick enough.

the teeth in a gearbox roll, the bearings roll, the synchronizers slide but only when shifting gears, so all thats left is some gears in the diff that slide against the housing when there's a speed differential between axle halves.

I see very limited possibility for colloidal suspensions to reduce power loss. Other than that I'm not pro or contra the technology. I would like to know the truth, that's all. I will call out all bogus claims, including fall out.
I agree that in this use, this product should be of some value.

Back