"More Zinc = More Wear?" with Lake Speed Jr

At one time it was LZ but now I'm not sure.

I asked about their DI30 (5w30 oil). Like Torco, they don't publish product data sheets. I can sort of understand why too because a lot of people don't know enough about oil and make decisions based off of false ideas about specific properties.

They sent me this:

View attachment 216929

well, I think that's probably the most accurate spec sheet I've seen. I am sure the actual values can be way off from typical in most oils

Having a lab, depending on what you can / cannot do, is not *that* big of a deal. We have like a $1.5m lab that can do the vast majority of stuff. It’s just not certified for printable results. Which is what we are working on. We have it for internal R&D - specifically with fuel.

Having engine test stand labs is a pretty big deal. But I’d rather just leave that to Afton / Lubrizol / Infineum / etc.
Thank you! Good info

It's interesting that LiquiMoly has been in the US market for so long. It makes me wonder if it's because of how cheap their product is to produce or because they're so small they're able to accept much thinner profit margins.
It's the price. An oil with same approvals that sells for half the price...they aren't spending double to produce their oils. Plus the additives. Also markets to a different crowd than those getting their oil from Wal-Mart (tuning/enthusiast market).

I've found that some of his information may not be accurate for all users. However, if one takes the time to drill-down into his various presentations, he does at times, seem to mirror what the sharp people here tend to state.

Our racing experience is different than his, due to very high boost turbocharged engines, vs normally aspirated, comparatively low HP per cylinder engines. It should come as no surprise we differ on some subjects. We were making 175HP per sub 500cc cylinder and needed seriously robust oil and superb temperature control. Those making 80HP per 750cc cylinder can do different things.
Don't you know everyone here is sharp?

Sharp as a cue ball, most of these ones....

I'm quite sure LSJR IS using a professional to produce these videos, if you want to see a crappy short unpolished videos, look at my channel haha. He makes them this length on purpose - it's part of the monetization and algorithm. Short videos don't get you the same "punch" when you are monetizing it.
I agree, you really don't look like Chevy Chase in your vids. I was saddened and felt very disillusioned but then I listened to Jack Handy and felt better.

And I seriously doubt that even Mr. Jr. is making a bunch of money from YouTube, especially after he pays his editing team.

The idea that these race teams are secretly pouring in Driven Oil in the middle of the night sounds mythical to me. There have been numerous people that go to these races and have seen them pouring in Mobil 1 off the shelf. I'm sure all these companies can make great high end lubricants.

Sure, but is it actually M1 in the bottle? You want to keep the sponsors happy. I've seen repeated and consistent dyno runs where Driven XP2 made more power than M1 Racing 0W-30 in both the Xfinity and Cup series engines. Regardless of what decals they have on the vehicle, they're going to use what makes the most power.

Sure, but is it actually M1 in the bottle? You want to keep the sponsors happy. I've seen repeated and consistent dyno runs where Driven XP2 made more power than M1 Racing 0W-30 in both the Xfinity and Cup series engines. Regardless of what decals they have on the vehicle, they're going to use what makes the most power.
(y)

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
I've seen repeated and consistent dyno runs where Driven XP2 made more power than M1 Racing 0W-30 in both the Xfinity and Cup series engines
Driven XP2 is 0W-20. Mobil 1 Racing is 0W-30. How much power did the engine make on Mobil 1 Racing, and how much power did the engine make on Driven XP2?

Last edited:
So was this never the case - or a rule change ?
If formulas are protected - you can’t get the other to test …

IMG_2472.jpg

This sparked a couple other questions:

Did Lake Speed leave the Joe Gibbs Driven lubes program when Gibbs spun it off to whoever owns it now?

Did Gibbs Racing switch to Mobil because Toyota wanted that, or was it was better financially to have Mobil as a sponsor than to compete with them selling oil? It looks like all the Toyota branded cars in Nascar and NHRA are running Mobil logos.
Did they also do Amsoil ?

132 posts so far and nobody has yet to reach out to me for a pitchfork and torch combo. Ya'll need to pony up.

AS ALWAYS - use code TvsT#myoilisbetterthanyouroil to unlock even more savings. Mention this thread and I'll knock off shipping to flat rate 5$ NO MATTER HOW MANY YOU ORDER on the condition that when you surround your opposing sides you send me pictures of the pitch forks and torches in use.

I'll toss in a rope if you specifically mention the poster that you think is fulla beans. If your poster matches any one of the posters on my list then I'll make it 2 ropes!

Last edited:
Did they also do Amsoil ?
I'm not sure what brands Gibbs used prior to Driven. They said Driven was developed because the available oils were causing engine failures (Nascar Cup series at that time was running 9000 rpm with flat tappet cams and very high valve spring pressures. Cam, lifter, and valve spring failures were pretty widespread.)

Newer rules intended to reduce operating cost have cut horsepower via airflow restriction, reduced max rpm via gearing rules for each track, and allowed roller tappets, all of which have made the engines a lot more reliable.

Back