"More Zinc = More Wear?" with Lake Speed Jr

Yeah, that seems to be an issue. More is not always better.

18:44 that's the tl;dr right there
But my next door neighbors third cousin said his oil choice was "the best" AND the guy in the Walmart oil aisle told me to buy the oil additive.
I am sooo confused now :cool:

A Mobil engineer told me a long time ago that if there was any benefit to adding a can of something to your oil the oil companies would already be adding it and charging you for it.

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant running the majority of zinc additives. Anything more than HP Redline is probably pushing it hence why I top off the RL, so I don't have to open another gallon and the dilution is enough to bring it down a bit.
I would use archoil9100 or the lubegard biotech.

While LSJr may be an educated and learned tribologist, his presentations are purely for making money and sucking in the gullible with clickbait titles and endless ramblings. I liken his videos to polished versions of PF junk.
Is he actually selling a product in these? I've not paid much attention. Or does a YT with 62,000 subs generate much income?

While LSJr may be an educated and learned tribologist, his presentations are purely for making money and sucking in the gullible with clickbait titles and endless ramblings. I liken his videos to polished versions of PF junk.

It's far, far from that abomination known as PF. The testing is relevant where PF's "tests" aren't relevant at all. The tests were also done at SWRI, not in a garage. Sure, he rambles a bit, but it's just how he is. He does that with normal conversation where he'll talk your ear off on multiple tangents. He's excitable and likes to talk, in case you're wondering if he's just putting on a show for the videos.

I've found that some of his information may not be accurate for all users. However, if one takes the time to drill-down into his various presentations, he does at times, seem to mirror what the sharp people here tend to state.

Our racing experience is different than his, due to very high boost turbocharged engines, vs normally aspirated, comparatively low HP per cylinder engines. It should come as no surprise we differ on some subjects. We were making 175HP per sub 500cc cylinder and needed seriously robust oil and superb temperature control. Those making 80HP per 750cc cylinder can do different things.

Taking the implied points from his YT videos…. If it isn’t Shell-Pennzoil, it’s inferior anyway. I think most of us know too much of anything is too much.

He went on a Pennzoil kick for a while because of frequent questions about their SP formulas coming in under 600 ppm P and thus questioning if it would still protect okay. Plus, lower SA will likely be the trend moving forward with API oils in general.

Yes, most of us know that... but he isn't making the videos for BITOG. Most people outside of BITOG don't know what "zinc" even is, much less that too much can be a bad thing. There's quite a few, even reputable, engine builders who refuse to use a dedicated break-in oil, just keep adding Rislone or ZDDP-Plus to Rotella, and wonder why they can't get a flat tappet cam through the break-in.

Could his explanations here be indicative of why Mobil-1 tends to show higher Fe wear numbers than other oils? They may formulate for fuel economy improvement with a slight acceptance of higher Fe wear.

I had suspected this but never put two and two together.

What I get out of it is: formulation, competing components of the oil. Calcium detergent competing with the phosphorus and zinc and so on. So the overall package is important. Just because an oil is heavy in zinc, means nothing overall.

Could his explanations here be indicative of why Mobil-1 tends to show higher Fe wear numbers than other oils? They may formulate for fuel economy improvement with a slight acceptance of higher Fe wear.

I had suspected this but never put two and two together.
No, that's trying to use UOA's for a purpose they aren't intended and then drawing conclusions from data that lacks the resolution from which to be able to do so.

Remember, UOA's "read" a very narrow window of particle sizes and this method skews heavily toward the smallest possible sizes, with visibility falling off as the size increases. The tool is not designed to yield comparative rates of uptake between different formulations, its purpose is to provide insight into lubricant health and contamination levels; it's about the oil's suitability for continued use.

I watch the LSJ's GTX Classic vs ILSAC formulation and it validated what I knew - and noticed on the road - all along.
I thought I saw a video of LSJ at HPL's lab recently regarding anti-foamants. That was interesting.
I don't get all twisted about someone making some bucks on YT and promoting his associated business.

Better than those clickbait videos titled: "Bye", "I'm Done", "RIP" and "These cars are Junk" :rolleyes:

Back