Mobile or Desktop?

Probably similar numbers here. At 50+ the desktop suits my vision needs better
smile.gif

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
Desktop 90% of the time. Usually only on mobile when work is slow or at a social gathering I don't care for.

Desktop computer running ubuntu with a clicky keyboard, wired ethernet, and wired mouse, like god intended.
lol.gif

I have conceded my CRT screen for a LED though.
wink.gif

If I'm home, laptop only, If I'm not home, iPhone only. I very much prefer the large screen and full sized keyboard of the laptop.

I use cell phone for 95% of personal web use. I use my Surface if I need to print something, and iPad for recipes while cooking.

I prefer desktop. I can focus better in a desktop than with mobile devices. Besides, desktops last longer than mobile devices. This current HP with Windows 7 is eight years old and still as fast as the first day.

I suppose this isn't complete without saying which OS I prefer as well. Windows. I prefer Windows. That is because I find Apple slows down their devices AND desktops/laptops with time. That's what happens when hardware and software is manufactured/built by the same company. Microsoft does not engage in this type of nonsense. At least, not yet.

I mostly use my private cell phone because I can't use office computers or the employer-provided phone for private matters. I'm also on the road or out in the field much of time. . Sometimes, I will use my own laptop or if I am at home I use my desktop. I guess 70% phone, 20% laptop, 10% desktop.

Originally Posted by Donald
I do not get "recent topics" on m phone? Why is that? But I do on laptop.

The software reformats the layout based on the screen size / resolution. There simply isn't enough (practical) space to display it. I presume the admin folks here had to pick and choose what to show up vs what doesn't show.

Desktop for games and my multi-monitor setup. It makes multitasking a lot easier. I also have a desktop at work - it's just easier in general and I don't have a use for a laptop when I'm in the office.

Laptop when I'm out and about but it's normally a rare occasion that I'll bust it out.

Cell phone for emails when I don't have either the above.

Originally Posted by Pew
Desktop for games and my multi-monitor setup. It makes multitasking a lot easier. I also have a desktop at work - it's just easier in general and I don't have a use for a laptop when I'm in the office.

Laptop when I'm out and about but it's normally a rare occasion that I'll bust it out.

Cell phone for emails when I don't have either the above.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I feel handicapped with a keyboard and a mouse. Things are just so much easier and faster with these guys.

Originally Posted by dinofish
I prefer desktop. I can focus better in a desktop than with mobile devices. Besides, desktops last longer than mobile devices. This current HP with Windows 7 is eight years old and still as fast as the first day.

I suppose this isn't complete without saying which OS I prefer as well. Windows. I prefer Windows. That is because I find Apple slows down their devices AND desktops/laptops with time. That's what happens when hardware and software is manufactured/built by the same company. Microsoft does not engage in this type of nonsense. At least, not yet.

Apple doesn't build their hardware. My MacBook had, if I remember correctly, a Western Digital hard drive before I put in an SSD. It's from 2009, works great, not slowed down.

Apple did that once with their iPhones and they got caught, you can believe they won't do it again after the uproar they got last time.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Apple doesn't build their hardware. My MacBook had, if I remember correctly, a Western Digital hard drive before I put in an SSD. It's from 2009, works great, not slowed down.

Apple did that once with their iPhones and they got caught, you can believe they won't do it again after the uproar they got last time.

What I meant was they sell assembled hardware, even if parts are purchased from someone else. There is much more of an incentive for Apple to keep customers upgrading their devices/laptops/desktops, etc.

Re slowing down, Apple still do that with their phones. It is now officially part of their 'Battery Health' setting. Every phone will get slowed down. Even the latest iPhone 11 Pro Max will get slowed down. It is now a feature. They now deem is officially necessary as part of battery aging, which I call B.S. But even before this slowing down feature, I noticed iPhone and iPad being slowed down with each update. People upgrade for better performance and if you mess with performance, you will get more customers wanting to upgrade for better performance, at least for the short term. When Apple was slowing down people's phones for over a year without telling anyone, even their genius employees, their iPhone sales were going downward. Coincidence? I think not. Sorry, I just don't trust Apple.

7 year old laptop that is placed atop a spice rack that is face down. Got it for free.

Google Pixel 3A XL - $379

I had gone through about five years where my expenditures for cell phones were barely over $100. Work made it a recent cell phone vital so I bit the bullet.

Wife has an original iPad Mini from 2012. She will be treating herself to a laptop or a tablet in the coming months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994

What I meant was they sell assembled hardware, even if parts are purchased from someone else. There is much more of an incentive for Apple to keep customers upgrading their devices/laptops/desktops, etc.

Re slowing down, Apple still do that with their phones. It is now officially part of their 'Battery Health' setting. Every phone will get slowed down. Even the latest iPhone 11 Pro Max will get slowed down. It is now a feature. They now deem is officially necessary as part of battery aging, which I call B.S. But even before this slowing down feature, I noticed iPhone and iPad being slowed down with each update. People upgrade for better performance and if you mess with performance, you will get more customers wanting to upgrade for better performance, at least for the short term. When Apple was slowing down people's phones for over a year without telling anyone, even their genius employees, their iPhone sales were going downward. Coincidence? I think not. Sorry, I just don't trust Apple.
...You can easily turn off the slowing down part. And it only happens to phones that have a battery degraded to below 80% of capacity.

Back