Any telecom line workers around here?

No they aren't. Verizon still has copper cable splicers on their payroll. One of them was working in my front yard a couple of years ago to fix a 200 pair cable that got hit by a Verizon contractor who was installing conduit for FIOS. He didn't look old enough to be retired now.

Well he didn't have to splice back all 200 pair. Only 3 of them were in service. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

AT&T won't even respond around here to lines down, busted poles, etc.

The top of one of their poles busted and broke completely off about a year ago 1/2 mile down the road from my house. The top of the pole was on the ground with cable being pulled down low and a splice case on the the ground. It was in a 90 degree curve. I think one of the surrounding homeowners cut the cable because it was so low for so long.

I finally called the county road department to ask them to call ATT to get it cleaned up. Took about two weeks and it was gone.....after a YEAR.

These copper-pair based telecom companies don't care about OSP anymore other than fiber and the offices and remotes that are providing internet. Can't blame them, tho.

Any wire work around here is handled by a company called Potelco. None of the telecoms seem to do it anymore. I see lines down in several places in my area. Nobody has bothered to replace them or collect them. They just lie on the side of the road.

Well he didn't have to splice back all 200 pair. Only 3 of them were in service. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The cable was hit on Friday, they didn't show up till Tuesday to fix it.

He said 20 of them were in service..and he and his coworker did splice all 200 pairs....twice, had to add a length of cable and splice it at each end to the existing cable. I asked if they could just run a temporary cable from the cross connect box to the next ped down the road, going through the culverts, but they wouldn't do that. They had to make a permanent repair. (They messed up the drainage ditch when digging the hole; it still has standing water in it days after a storm. I've given up trying to get it fixed. Nobody gives a crap.)

I still occasionally see a Verizon truck at that cross connect box. I don't know why anyone who could get Xfinity would use Verizon for a landline. I gave up on Verizon well over 10 years ago.

Back