Mobile 1 consumption issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes 03' 3.2L v6 Isuzu Rodeo has 50,000 miles on it and we've been using Mobile oil exclusively since about 12,000 miles...We were using Mobile drive clean and switched to Mobile 1 EP...We had oil consumption on both equaling a little over 1 quart every 3,000 miles. I've used Mobile in my cars, sportbike, and even their MX2T premix for my CR250 MX bike with good results...But I have not been impressed with it in the Isuzu.

Just recently tried out Delo 400...No consumption! And it's quieter.

Anyone else have consumption problems with Mobile 1 or is it just this particular engine ?

It is not particularly unusual to consume some oil in the first OCI of a change to Mobil 1. In the following OCIs the consumption generally is reduced if not stopped.

I had consumption issues in my wife's '98 Expedition soon after switching. It may have been a faulty PCV valve, but I lost almost a quart in 2K miles. I did a couple of ARx cleanings and plan to use Havoline dino in the future.

Sorry guys, from my first post it sounds like I used M1 only once....I forgot to clarify that I've changed it several times with Mobile 1 and the car just consumes it. There's no leaks either...Delo 400 ? Zero consumption...

I used Mobil 1, 0W-40 on my wifes Jetta since its first oil change. At 30,000 kms approx I switched to 5w-40 Delvac 1 and the oil consumption was cut in half.

Oil consumption is really not related to a brand. It is the viscosity that determines the consumption amount. Of course a 15w-40 would cause less consumption than a 5w-30. Some engines don't consume any oil even the lightest 0w-20. I think it means the oil rings don't seal quite as well as other engines or valve seals don't seal as well. No long term problem as it just means you have to check the oil and add some from time to time or use a thicker oil. My Honda at 130,000 uses mobil 1 10w-30 and has consumed 0 in 7000 miles so far. I expect to try 5w-30 next and try for 0 consumption.

Isuzu's are bad about ring deposits which lead to consumption. The Delo sounds like a viscosity fix but to . This is a case for auto RX.

quote:

Oil consumption is really not related to a brand. It is the viscosity that determines the consumption amount. Of course a 15w-40 would cause less consumption than a 5w-30.

I don't think it's the viscosity either...My last OCI was with M1 15W50...Before that it was M1 10W30...I too thought it would consume less with the heavier M1 15W50 and high flashpoints ect.. but no, consumption was the same...I've had consumption with mobile dio and synthetic in this Isuzu for the last 38,000 miles and I just stayed on top of it, checking the oil and adding when needed....

I put in Delo 400, what was a problem had for 38,000 miles suddenly stops.
dunno.gif

Maybe the Delo just holds up better for a car that's known for consumption ?

Oil consumption is really hard to pin point. I see no relationship between oil consumption and Noak. Something in Mobil 1's chemistry causes this with some engines. Could be bc it's Ester less ??
dunno.gif
Many cars drink RL initially also. Strange....

Hey buster, I've done alot of OCI's with M1 15W50 and MX4T in my RC51 (1000cc high performance short stroke 90 degree vtwin with a 4.1 quart sump) and no issues...In the motorcycle the same oil lubes the engine and transmission and I did alot of high speed runs (150 + mph) and redlines on occasion in 1rst and 2nd...thing has a 10,000rpm redline...zero consumption..surely the MC is harder on the oil... Maybe the Isuzu just doesn't like it?
confused.gif

Delo imo is the best diesel oil available today.Excellent base stock, and the most advanced additive package in a diesel oil. These advantages carry over to gas engines also.Delo is made in 10w30 for cold starts ,you proved that it outpreformed a full synthetic in terms of oil consumption control. I could tell you some of the unbelievable in field preformance of this product but no one on this site would beielve me.

I swithched from a synthetic to Delo 400 15w-40 for the clean and rinse with ARX and the quart/1k mile oil consumption stopped. I know there is a lot going on whtn you atart ARX but the Delo 400 is sure doing a good job. The asumption that any synthetic oil is better than all dyno oil is just plain wrong. Depending on which month this is, some of the M1 formulas are new and the public has not finished testing them for the marketing department, yet. Delo 400 has been around for a long time and is a very good oil. For this rinse cycle I purchased a case, 6x1gal bottles for $37.50. It's not only a good oil, but a good price, too.

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
Delo imo is the best diesel oil available today.Excellent base stock, and the most advanced additive package in a diesel oil. These advantages carry over to gas engines also.Delo is made in 10w30 for cold starts ,you proved that it outpreformed a full synthetic in terms of oil consumption control. I could tell you some of the unbelievable in field preformance of this product but no one on this site would beielve me.

Fill us in...I could believe it after the excellent results I've had with this oil.

I was wondering about the Delo 10W30 for the winter...I've gotta find a place that sells it though.

LarryL, sounds incredible...Going from 1quart per 1,000 miles to zero consumption is impressive....It's gotta be the Delo.

Changed to M1 10w-30 at 5,300 miles, from factory fill on 2005 Subaru turbo 2.5L. In the 5,000 miles since then, down about 1/3 qt. Engine is quiet.

Going to try 5w-40 M1 T&SUV next.

I wholeheartedly agree on Delo 400, absolutely the best value on the market, so is Delvac Super. Truly amazing and hard working products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back