Mobil1 Vanilla or AFE for Ford Fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm servicing my sisters 2008 Ford Fusion (3.0L V6) and looking to take advantage of the Mobil1 oil/filter rebates going on. I can get $10 off a box of 6qts from Sams Club (plus rebates) - they carry both 5w20 Mobil1 (I'm calling it Vanilla) or 0w-20 AFE. Same price for either. Any reason to pick one over the other? Not really sure how the AFE compares with vanilla Mobil1 - although the 0w-20 may be more suitable for our harsh winters so maybe that in itself would be the deciding factor. This will be in the sump for a year, with mostly in-town driving.

Any reason to pick one over the other? Flip a coin?

Last edited:
The vanilla may be easier to find in future if you have left over quarts or need a top off.

Both are good oils. If you don’t need the 0w rating I’d go with 5w-20

FWIW I run M1 HM 10w-30 in my Fusion 3.0 v6. Loves it.

I live in FL so I have no need for cold cranking. Low 20s is about as cold as I’ve ever seen it and that’s just a few days out of the year

Btw AFE is available at Walmart. Since it seems like the vehicle in question is short tripped, the 0w-20 will be the better option.

Last edited:
I would run the 5W-30 or the 0W-30 but then that is just me. I run the )w-30 in my sons 2006 Toyota Tacoma because he lives in Logan Utah and when it gets real cold it is real cold .Either oil will work. Try both and with out saying which is which ask your sister if she notices the difference. What part Of Idaho do you live in? 5W syn gets you down to 30*f and the 0W* below that looking at engine oil viscosity charts.

CT8 - we are in Southeastern Idaho. Her Fusion is parked in the garage most of the time, but it still gets darn cold - similar to Logan, UT temps.

I think either 0w or 5w would be perfectly adequate - is there anything special about the AFE formulation?

The AFE is just a rebranding of “vanilla” M1. Note there is not a “plain” M1 0w-20. There is AFE and there is EP and AP.

Marketing....

Tig runs M1 0w-20 AFE in his Fusion for 10k. I believe he has the 2.5L 4-cylinder. The 3.0 is a solid engine, and doesn’t require anything advanced in the way of oil. 7500 mi change interval with API SM or better and it will keep running. Port fuel injection so no significant fuel dilution. My only real complaint is that it’s gutless until the rpm come up a bit.

AFE has a better formulation than regular M1 I think so that's why I use it. More PAO's and other goodies to get the real low pour point. I live in Montana and my truck doesn't have the luxury of a heated garage so 0W is essential in the wintertime! I just use it year round, love the way it starts up so nice and smooth even on the coldest days.

Sounds like short trips. In my short tripped vehicles 0w20 does the best. I also start hearing the difference between 0w20 and 5w20 as early as 45°F-ish and below.

Thanks, all - my Sam's Club only had the 0w-20 AFE in-store, so that's what I went with. The Fusion will usually get driven up to temperature, although it sounds like the 0w-20 will help with any short trips. If I remember next time, I'll go with 5w just to see if she notices any difference (or if I do for that matter).

Originally Posted By: RonRonnster
Thanks, all - my Sam's Club only had the 0w-20 AFE in-store, so that's what I went with. The Fusion will usually get driven up to temperature, although it sounds like the 0w-20 will help with any short trips. If I remember next time, I'll go with 5w just to see if she notices any difference (or if I do for that matter).
Great choice. Better flow in cold weather. You could go with M1 AFE 0w30 next time, and it is thicker when hot. Staying with 0w20 probably best year around for easy driving.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
The AFE is just a rebranding of “vanilla” M1. Note there is not a “plain” M1 0w-20. There is AFE and there is EP and AP.

Marketing....

Tig runs M1 0w-20 AFE in his Fusion for 10k.

I believe he runs 0w20 EP now actually.

Why do people always have to throw “marketing” out ~ especially on one of the few brands and grade we know has drastically different base stocks …

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Marketing....

Tig runs M1 0w-20 AFE in his Fusion for 10k.

I believe he runs 0w20 EP now actually.

I only do as last year when I needed an oil change for the 2017 Fusion the AFE was sold out so I picked up 2 jugs of 0-20 EP as the 2017 takes 5.75 qts and the 2007 takes 4.5. Both are great oils. My 2007 Focus was totaled last year with 175K, used 0-20AFE. I have about 460K or so with 0-20 and all engines perform very well. And I always do my normal 10K OCI.

Last edited:
I figured as much. Getting you to change within even the M1 product line would be like pulling teeth.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I figured as much. Getting you to change within even the M1 product line would be like pulling teeth.
wink.gif

LOL! I thought Tig1 would never stray from AFE 0W20. Boy was i brainwashed
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 53' Stude
Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

LOL! I thought Tig1 would never stray from AFE 0W20. Boy was i brainwashed
wink.gif

Remember I have been using M1 oils for 40 years, long before AFE came along. Started using AFE around 2009. Great oil as is the EP version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back