Mobil1 0w40 5K miles + 3 track days: Z06 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie
My first motor blew up at 87K with Mobil1 3w30.

What do you mean by "blew up?"

Originally Posted By: FCobra94
My first motor blew up at 87K with Mobil1 3w30.

What do you mean by "blew up?"

Holes on both sides of the block. Pieces of aluminum strewn across the race track with lots of oil and coolant. I have video links if you want to watch it happen at 120+ MPH

DH

Last edited:
Is this car stock? Was it detonation? Oil (or lack of oil) pressure related? Given how stout these motors are stock, or even boosted, I'm confused as to why it decided to pop...

Post some links up, that would be interesting to see.

Did you figure out what caused it? Could be detonation as Cobra says that stated the issue, but sounds like a rod let go in the process which could be a result of other things too besides detonation or as well as.

Is this car stock? Was it detonation? Oil (or lack of oil) pressure related? Given how stout these motors are stock, or even boosted, I'm confused as to why it decided to pop...

Search LS7 exhaust valve failure. Its not detonation. Stock motor and stock tune.

DH

Last edited:

Search LS7 exhaust valve failure. Its not detonation. Stock motor and stock tune.

DH

That was quite spectacular indeed. Thanks for sharing, hadn't heard about that issue before.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Holy [censored], that looks like it was intense!

I was quite entertained there for a few moments ...

DH

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That link states that chev recommends mobils 0w-40 flavour. I thought they got the 5w-30.
What gives?

'tis the oil of the Gods sir
wink.gif

looks like alot of fun! other than the engine failure of course. Glad GM took care of it for you. Looks like this one is doing just fine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That link states that chev recommends mobils 0w-40 flavour. I thought they got the 5w-30.
What gives?

The link posted by Buster is for the Euro Spec Corvettes. The same car in the US gets the 5w30 or Dexos1 now.

Running this excellent 0w40 oil could void your warranty here in the US !!!!

DH

With 10.5 quarts of oil in the system, and a maximum temperature of 250F, you're not stressing the oil much. I think you can definitely extend the change intervals. You have a good collection of UOA's taken during consistent duty cycles, so you should be able to plot the wear metals, TBN, and viscosity, and predict when you should change the oil.

Since your previous engine failure was a valve problem, do you blame the 5w30 oil in any way? Did GM have any comments on the failure?

I cannot say with certainty what caused the failure. GM kept the engine before teardown. But it exhibited the large wholes in the block commonly associated with a broken valve head.

Since I track the car I am more comfortable with the Mobil 0w40 for its additive package and viscosity at track temps. No way to know for sure if this oil would have prolonged that motor.

DH

I cannot say with certainty what caused the failure. GM kept the engine before teardown. But it exhibited the large wholes in the block commonly associated with a broken valve head.

Since I track the car I am more comfortable with the Mobil 0w40 for its additive package and viscosity at track temps. No way to know for sure if this oil would have prolonged that motor.

DH
imho a faulty manufactured valve could be a possibility too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back