Mobil 1 vs Wix xp

Mobil1 is pretty much just a cheap purolator with a Mobil1 paintjob, the Wix XP is a better built filter but pretty poor in the efficiency standpoint. Of the premium synthetic media filters these days, about the only good ones left are Royal Purple and Amsoil, Royal Purple are usually the cheaper maybe a hair more expensive than a Wix XP but much better efficiency with excellent build quality.

Mobil1 is pretty much just a cheap purolator with a Mobil1 paintjob, the Wix XP is a better built filter but pretty poor in the efficiency standpoint. Of the premium synthetic media filters these days, about the only good ones left are Royal Purple and Amsoil, Royal Purple are usually the cheaper maybe a hair more expensive than a Wix XP but much better efficiency with excellent build quality
Reason I asked is I’ve been getting the wix xp’s at oreilly’s.
But I do have access to amsoil filters, also looked for royal purple filters and can’t seem to find the one I’d need for my 2011 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi

I can also get Purolator boss would that be better then the wix xp and the Mobil 1?

Efficiency isn't the only reason to pick a filter.
The Wix XP is not a fairly poor filter.

Purolator Boss is an excellent filter. The ones that I've used have had no issues. I'd rather use an XP/Platinum/Boss over the M1 filter.

If you want to know how well the filter works, you'll need to UOA with particles for your engine and driving style, and worry less about marketing info and bench tests.

XP has fairly poor efficiency (50% @ 30 microns), M1 is somewhat better, 99% @ 30 microns.
I think we just covered this on the XP… it’s like 99%@35 microns, the 50% is @ 20u IIRC. The XP is a well-built filter and will likely serve any engine well, but it’s not designed nor intended to provide the finest filtration.

Neither of these filters will make much of a difference in wear if your air filter isn’t good and sealed- introducing grit into the intake tract is far more harmful in the overall scheme of things.

If you want to know how well the filter works, you'll need to UOA with particles for your engine and driving style, and worry less about marketing info and bench tests.
Plotted UOA PC data pretty much correlates with the filter ISO 4548-12 rating. With all factors held constant, higher efficiency filters result in better filtration and cleaner oil. No accurateky conducted lab or real world case will prove otherwise.

Is purolator boss having any tear issue ? Or any common issue ?
The Boss filter is built like a brick outhouse. Its synthetic filter media has a similar synth "backing" screen fused to it, providing rigidity and extreme toughness. It will not tear whatsoever. Its filtering ability is on-par with or better than a Wix XP.

Moreover, it withstood my Alaskan Truck's winter OCI punishment test. I recently cut one open last spring and it came out looking great: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/purolator-boss-pbl14006-cut-open.353541/ It was on my Gen III 5.3L Silverado -- a truck that tears open Baldwin filter media during summer months: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ssue-after-3500-mile-oci.347361/#post-5941819 !

So, in the harshest cold conditions where my truck is never garaged, the Boss worked for me. Nevertheless, I still have five old wire screen-backed Fram Ultra's on-hand and will be using those till they run out -- that's another 50 to 60,000 miles yet (I run these old Ultra filters for two or three short OCI's straight).

IMHO, the Purolator Boss filters could also handle successive OCI's.

Mfgr's website: https://www.purolatornow.com/en/products/oil-filters/purolator-boss.html

Last edited:
Back