Mobil 1 vs. Super Synthetic - Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The website says the Super Synthetic does everything Mobil 1 does, except the M1 provides "exceptional startup protection". However they both have near-identical 40C and pour point ratings (-39). I'm not seeing how M1 provides startup protection?

Also was surprised to see NO oil analyses for the Mobil Super Synthetic.

I don't know what SS has in it but, since there is such a huge swing in add packs WITHIN the M1 line, I've got to believe SS is at the bottom of the heap of what XOM thinks is acceptable for calling an oil "synthetic".

Last edited:
When Mobil1 advertises exceptional start up protection

they taking about their 0w-X , and that its synthetic.

all 0w-X provides better protection against Xw-X because of the lower vescosity at lower temp.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

all 0w-X provides better protection against Xw-X because of the lower vescosity at lower temp.

That isn't always the case. Mobil 0W-40 is thicker at most winter start ups than Mobil 1 5w-30.

Mobil only guarantees the Super Synthetic for 7500 miles while Mobil 1 oils get a 10,000 or 15,000 mile warranty. Additionally, Mobil Super Synthetic is the synthetic blend replacement for XOM.

In order to see how an oil flows at different temperatures, you can use a viscosity calculator.

MobilOil.jpg

Last edited:
They're labeling them both as full synthetic. I'm guessing they're both grp III synths,with M1 having a stronger add pack?

Originally Posted By: Gabe

That isn't always the case. Mobil 0W-40 is thicker at most winter start ups than Mobil 1 5w-30.

I thought that was the whole idea of that marking ,

my mistake in this case.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
The website says the Super Synthetic does everything Mobil 1 does, except the M1 provides "exceptional startup protection". However they both have near-identical 40C and pour point ratings (-39). I'm not seeing how M1 provides startup protection?

Also was surprised to see NO oil analyses for the Mobil Super Synthetic.

Not true. MSS has a 7500 mile warranty, as reg M1 has a 10K or highest OLM warranty, and M1 EP has a 15K warranty. Also MSS is a grp3 base as All M1 oils are a blend of differant base stocks and concered Grp4 by XM. M1 is the flag ship oil of XM.

It's the old "good, better, best" marketing trick. Super is the base line oil, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP are the better and best.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Mobil only guarantees the Super Synthetic for 7500 miles while Mobil 1 oils get a 10,000 or 15,000 mile warranty. Additionally, Mobil Super Synthetic is the synthetic blend replacement for XOM.

In order to see how an oil flows at different temperatures, you can use a viscosity calculator.

MobilOil.jpg

LOL, I've seen this chart posted so many times....we are attempting (at least I am) to gather facts here, not marketing gobbledygook.

Thanks to Super Shaft technology Mobil has brought you a new class of synthetics. We realize that nobody knows what that means, but rest assured, sometimes confusion is the best thing for our customers.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Thanks to Super Shaft technology Mobil has brought you a new class of synthetics. We realize that nobody knows what that means, but rest assured, sometimes confusion is the best thing for our customers.

Thanks to every auto maker in the world coming up with every new spec that some slap happy engine designer can dream up. Now oil companies are scrambling to meet these silly new specs. Remember(or mayby you can't) when we only had 10-30,10-40, straight 20 and 30 wt. oils to figure out.

Last edited:
Availability of the Super synthetic is the problem here, although the regular Super blend is widely available. Only place that has Super syn I know of is O'Reilly's and they want more than you can buy Mobil 1 for at the 'marts. May be why your not finding any UOA's, but it has to be at least as good as regular Super and there are a number of good looking UOA's on here with it.

Mobil Super 5000 is conventinoal
Mobil Super 5000 HM is a Blend
Mobil Super Syn is "synthetic"

Mobil super syn is 29.99 for 5qt jug at autostores!
crazy2.gif

When Mobil1 advertises exceptional start up protection, they taking about their 0w-X , and that its synthetic.
The picture I was referring to in Post #1 shows Mobil 1 Standard which is not available in 0W weight (that comes in a green bottle) and yet still claims it has startup protection. Link: http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_product-comparison-chart.aspx

Mobil Super Synthetic can't be all bad. It passes GM's Dexos requirement, and I will be recommending it to my dad for his new Chevy wagon since he won't be willing to spend $8/quart for Mobil 1, but I want to protect the car (it's my future inheritance). I can convince him to buy the SuperSyn.

Last edited:
I thought the chart was one of the better marketing items I had read in a while. I found it to be helpful, at least showing some the differences between their oils.

I am sure there will be LOTS of uninformed people buying the Super and thinking they are buying Mobil 1!! People are stupid - it will happen.

The differene is simple and stated by Mobil. Mobil super is comparable to most of your synthetics on the market. Mobil 1 is using the latest in additive/base oil technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back