*Mobil 1 - PAO & Visom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Funny, we would NOT be having this discussion if only Group IV/V/VI oils were called synthetic, would we? It's now a meaningless appellation.

1. If group III oils couldn't be called synthetic, what is now Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum would be called overpriced dinos, and it would be even worse.

2. "Synthetic" always was a meaningless appellation because, from the chemical point of view, there is no real line between what is and isn't synthetic. Any line we draw is completely arbitrary and for our own convenience. Group III oils happen to straddle the line that we used to draw. Big freakin' deal. It was bound to happen at some point.

Agree.

Just to cause more uncertainty. ACEA is due to update their specifications again. With DI engines becoming more prevelant(sp), along with the accompaning intake deposits which cannot be addressed with fuel cleaners, will we see a move back towards PAO? ACEA 2010 oil test sequences may be something of a game changer for M1 et al.

I have a comment about the comments on what most people know about oil, etc not knowing about basestocks, additives all of that good stuff... if these statements were so true then Mobil 1 would HAVE NEVER made it to the top spot they are in... I agree they done this with commercialization whatever the instance mobil 1 will be advertised to the fullest extent.. still don't count the public for being dumb, maybe uninformed BUT not/never dumb.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Funny, we would NOT be having this discussion if only Group IV/V/VI oils were called synthetic, would we? It's now a meaningless appellation.

1. If group III oils couldn't be called synthetic, what is now Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum would be called overpriced dinos, and it would be even worse.

2. "Synthetic" always was a meaningless appellation because, from the chemical point of view, there is no real line between what is and isn't synthetic. Any line we draw is completely arbitrary and for our own convenience. Group III oils happen to straddle the line that we used to draw. Big freakin' deal. It was bound to happen at some point.

Agree.
Disagree. Why would an "Ultra Premium" or "Long Life" Conventional oil category be bad? Synthetic could be relegated to extreme temp operation - where they once resided.

I don't know a person who owns BOSE, and agree prob garbage... but the American people are not DUMB, they may get duked on commercials etc.. by the way this forum is also a part of the American public, look how smart the majority consider them self to be, changing out these great synthetics at way to low of mileage, paying 3 times the cost of a regular OCI changing out out early getting all this extra protection, so what part of the DUMB public does this all fit into ?

Last edited:
I don't see what PAO does for that situation.

Slightly better oxidative properties in addtion to resistance to shear via fuel dilution? I don't know how G3+ compares.

Why would an "Ultra Premium" or "Long Life" Conventional oil category be bad?

It wouldn't. But this isn't a question of what is good or bad. This is a question of what the general public will understand.

I can assure you they dont understand what synthetic oil is - just that they want it because its "supposed to be the best", and, they also dont understand they are being sold refined conventional oil in a bottle labeled "Full Synthetic" . It's a terrible ruse and its sure to come to a head in soon.

Calling group III "refined conventional oil" is no less of a ruse than calling it synthetic.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I don't see what PAO does for that situation.

Slightly better oxidative properties in addtion to resistance to shear via fuel dilution? I don't know how G3+ compares.

He means re: deposits.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Like others, I'm REALLY curious what Amsoil's move will be.

Stealthy, and well thought out I'm sure.

I think Amsoil will keep what they've been doing. Per their recent ad paper thingy to customers, they point out that their prices are rising soon due to increase costs of basestocks. So I don't think they plan on changing a thing, other than price. ;P

Their current prices suggest to me they are using all PAO.

Their current prices suggest to me they are using all PAO.

Quite possible, or working on a higher profit margin.
21.gif
Really all we have to go on is speculation as with many of the oil companies.

As long as Amsoil's specialty is long-drain oils they will rely on at least a healthy dose of PAO. Grp IIIs still fall somewhat short in long term oxidative stability,or so far anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back