Mobil 1 once a year oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Never quite understood the reasoning behind changing it after one year, it's not like the oil suddenly turns bad on day 365 or 366.

All marketing. Nothing at all scientific.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Old habits die hard.

I guess I'm one of those guys as I have always believed, just like what is written on the bottle and in the manual, that in so many miles, or once a year, change the oil.

I believed what was written/said, that any longer than a year, due to the build up of acids, etc, leaving it in any longer, could cause engine damage.

I assume that thinking was based on using old formula Dino oils from many many years ago? Funny though, but likely just a money grab, that some dealers/manus are recommending 3 and 6 month change intervals still.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Old habits die hard.

I guess I'm one of those guys as I have always believed, just like what is written on the bottle and in the manual, that in so many miles, or once a year, change the oil.

I believed what was written/said, that any longer than a year, due to the build up of acids, etc, leaving it in any longer, could cause engine damage.

I assume that thinking was based on using old formula Dino oils from many many years ago? Funny though, but likely just a money grab, that some dealers/manus are recommending 3 and 6 month change intervals still.

Oh, I wouldn't say you're an "old habit" guy.

Now, this blurb from http://jiffylubeindiana.com/blog/maintenance-tips/how-often-should-you-change-your-oil:

Motor oil is the life blood of your vehicle. Oil’s main job is to lubricate and clean the moving parts of your engine. In other words, oil keeps your vehicle running. It is also vital to change your motor oil often. The general rule of thumb is that you should change your oil every 3 months or every 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, this is not always the case. Continue reading to find out why!

Since your oil cleans your engine, it continually collects buildup and particles. Eventually, your oil becomes too contaminated to properly protect your engine. When your oil is too contaminated, it turns a dark black color. This is when you need an oil change.

Additionally, you need to change your oil more often if you do a lot of stop and go driving, do a lot of towing, or drive in harsh environments. If you drive in any of these conditions, you can just check the color of your oil to see if you are in need of an oil change. Just check the dipstick. If your oil is dark black, then it is time for a change.

If you need help on how often you should change your oil, just stop on by your local Jiffy Lube of Indiana. Our highly trained Jiffy Lube technicians would be glad to walk you through how often you should change your oil. The Jiffy Lube Signature Service Oil Change is also a great way to give your vehicle the preventative maintenance it needs to stay on the road.

I’m about to drain the M1-EP 5W-30 from my 2007 Tacoma. Last changed it a year ago. Has about 8500 on the oil right now. 198K on the truck. Most trips are at least 18 miles on freeway at speeds of 65 mph and up. Truck has always had M1. First regular M1, then used the old Truck & SUV formula for a while, then switched to EP around 70K and that’s all it’s had since that time.

I run the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter.

I should send off a sample.

Some great reports thank you. I ran the M1 in my 750 engine HP Z06 , changed it each year, but with a couple thousand miles. 35$ oil change seems like cheap insurance, even if it’s unnecessary..

My thoughts exactly

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
Some great reports thank you. I ran the M1 in my 750 engine HP Z06 , changed it each year, but with a couple thousand miles. 35$ oil change seems like cheap insurance, even if it’s unnecessary..

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: BKTX
. Car/engine manufacturer knows best when to change oil.
Not always so.

Yep-don't second guess the shade tree mechanics on BITOG......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back