Mobil 1 in stored vehicle for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll add my two cents here for what it is worth. Over the years we had lots of farm equipment that was serviced, filled with fuel and parked for 4-6 months without beings started. The only thing we did was disconnect the batteries and every once in a while go around and connect the battery charger. This was both gas and diesel engines. A piece of equipment like a combine would be put away in Novenber and not really needed until the following August. It pretty much had the equivalent of short trips getting it out of the way of other equipment and driving it over to the shop for off season repairs and maintenance. Never had any problems. No I do realize long term storage of diesel is better than gasoline. A year is reasonable for diesel where 6 months is better for gasoline.

Anyway to your situation. I do believe in the long term benefits of fogging and storing engines. I have done this on boats, personal watercraft and snomobiles. It works very well.

Since you have about 9 months left before the vehicle will see regular service, I would say you have a couple of options.

1) You could follow Bill's advice, which is sound advice. The only thing I would add, is if you are going to do that you will want to make sure you don't get rodents in the vehicle. Also, if it is stored in a non-cliamate controlled garage you could see moisture build-up in the interior. Oh, and if you do this, I would put the vehicle on jack stands to get the tires off the ground.
2) In theory I don't have a big problem with what you are doing. (since you have come this far and only have 9 months left) Yes, all those starts will tend to build up moisture and increase wear but it will also get oil back on all the engine parts. And it is good that you do move it around a little. That will help the tires and drivetrain.

The one thing I would do no matter what you decide is to drain the fuel ( you said you had 18 months on it) and refill with new. You can use the old fuel in a different car maybe 5 gallons at a time.

Considering you don't want to place insurance on the vehicle I think I would choose option 1. I have a vehicle that gets only 2-3000 miles per year. It may sit for a month at a time. But, when I do start it, I geneally put 30-50 miles on it.

Just my opinion. Either way, think the vehicle will last 9 more months. Oh and a far as the Mobil 1. I think it will last 9 more months too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back