Mobil 1 in stored vehicle for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. First time poster here (new member). I need some of your informed opinions, please:

My Dad passed away, and I inherited his 97 Chevy truck, with 4.3L V6, and only 24K miles. This was about a year and a half ago. Double dose of Stabil in gas tank. My daughter will be going off to college with my car next summer, so, I am storing Dads truck, and starting it for 20 minuits once a month, until I bring it home next summer. It has always had Mobil 1 since new, and had fresh change and filter just before storage.

Will the 20 minuite run intervals, with revving up to 2000 RPM to simulate highway driving, be adequate? The Stabil is taking care of the gas, will the Mobil 1 last another year OK? Is a change upon putting it in service be all I need? Is the filter holding up (being saturated in oil) OK? Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

lots of fuel dilution of the oil and wash down of the cyl walls by rich gas mix during open loop PCM operation.

i would take the truck out for at least an hours run at freeway speeds.
change the oil and use a marine grade 10w30 or at least a HDEO such as 15w40 Delo

the truck needs to go out on the road for at least 30 minutes per month for the auto tranny and diff. seals to be lubed and oiled.

fog the engine with a good marine engine fogging oil before each setting period thru the throttle body or brake booster vac. hose.

2 years ought to be fine. I would be more worried about tires belts and hoses deteriorating. Instead of starting it I put some lube in the top of the cylinders through the spark plug holes and crank it a fiew times, replace the spark plugs and disconect the battery. Put it on a tender or whatever. When it is time to put back in service reinstall the battery and crank it up. Drive it hard get it hot and change the oil. Better than no load runing once a month. Tha t4.3 v6 is a tough dependable engine not much to worry about other than the plyable rubber parts I mentioned.
My sympathys to you for your dad. Take good care of that truch I am sure it has some sentimewntal value and will provide some usefull service.

You should be fine if you take it for a good 30 minute drive once every two or three months. This will drive off any fuel in the oil and will make sure the powertrain is up to temperatures and properly lubricated.

Yes, as Bryan said, Dads truck has much value to me other than its raw worth.

I would like to drive it for an hour or so monthly, but, I cannot afford additional insurance to do so. Having a teenager on the policy is very expensive as it is! So, after about 5 minuits at idle, I rev it to 2000 - 2200 rpms, to simulate a highway trip, for 15 minuits. I also "drive" it around the place it is stored, going back and fourth, in and out of gear, and turning the wheels full right and left to keep things "moving" as much as possible. Also run AC full blast.

The Mobil 1 only has 10 hours or so of operation, so I guess it will hang tough another year like this. Do you all think the filter media is going to hold up intact? Thanks for your continued comments.

Originally Posted By: BlazerLT
You should be fine if you take it for a good 30 minute drive once every two or three months. This will drive off any fuel in the oil and will make sure the powertrain is up to temperatures and properly lubricated.

Yupper. 'cept I'd run her at least once a month. Idiling and revving to 2000 not as good as a good ol' fashioned Sunday Drive.

Last edited:
If you are going to store it, starting and running it for short periods is actually going to be more detrimental to it.

Pretend it's a boat. Buy some fogging oil, fog it and let it sit until you can afford to insure it and put it on the road.

First of all
welcome2.gif

Sounds like you don't really "need" the truck. I don't trust stabil for a year much less 2. Also your "running" the engine for 20 mins a month really is not doing anything.

I'd sell the truck (it will never gain value) and take the $$ and put it in the bank. There at least the $$ will not loose value.

If it was me, that is what I'd do. I sold my Jeep that I had since 1973 with 53k on it and my Motorcycle that I bought new in 1978 in the last 2 years.

I just did not need them any more and the $$ came in handy.

If you keep it, I'd change the oil with a rotella type oil every year. If you can NOT drive it on the road, then drain the gas tank and fog the motor.

Take care, bill

Quote:
So, after about 5 minuits at idle, I rev it to 2000 - 2200 rpms, to simulate a highway trip, for 15 minuits. I also "drive" it around the place it is stored, going back and fourth, in and out of gear, and turning the wheels full right and left to keep things "moving" as much as possible. Also run AC full blast.

The Mobil 1 only has 10 hours or so of operation, so I guess it will hang tough another year like this. Do you all think the filter media is going to hold up intact? Thanks for your continued comments.

I think this is a good plan -- once every month or 2 to run the vehicle a little. The oil will hold up 2 years with low miles (running time) no problem whatsoever. There was an oil analysis on a Porsche 911 here that had the oil in it (M1) for 5 years 9,000 miles, and the analysis came back fine -- oil was good for continued use. The motor oil will not deteriorate just sitting in the sump, so even if it is in there for long time periods -- 2 years or more, it will be fine.

Bill said what I was going to say. If you dont "need" the truck and it will cost $ that you may not have, sell it. It may have sentimental reasons you may want to keep it, and I can understand that (sorry to hear about your father passing) but if it will be more work to keep it then you should probably sell it to someone who needs a truck or can use it.

just my opinion

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
Quote:
So, after about 5 minuits at idle, I rev it to 2000 - 2200 rpms, to simulate a highway trip, for 15 minuits. I also "drive" it around the place it is stored, going back and fourth, in and out of gear, and turning the wheels full right and left to keep things "moving" as much as possible. Also run AC full blast.

I think this is a good plan -- once every month or 2 to run the vehicle a little. The oil will hold up 2 years with low miles (running time) no problem whatsoever. There was an oil analysis on a Porsche 911 here that had the oil in it (M1) for 5 years 9,000 miles, and the analysis came back fine -- oil was good for continued use. The motor oil will not deteriorate just sitting in the sump, so even if it is in there for long time periods -- 2 years or more, it will be fine.

But the difference with the Porsche was it SAT.

Everytime you start a engine there will be by products like water and acids that then sit in the oil (no matter if it is syn or conventional) and cause problems. Him running the engine for 20 mins at 2k RPM without driving it at highway speeds is causing a lot of fuel and by products to be loaded into that oil.

If he had not been running it, then I could agree. But it needs to come out. And since the engine has to have its oil changed, no reason to pay $5-6 or more per quart when $2-3 oil will be fine.

Bill

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If you don't start it, you will not have any fuel dilution and condensation to burn off.

That is why most of us have said do not run it.

Bill, … if one started the vehicle and ran it for 1/2 hour every day for 30 straight days, I don't think anyone would even remotely consider changing out the oil after only 1 month. Now do that 1/2 hour run every month for 30 months (2.5 years). How is that going to be any different? I just don't see that infrequent running of the car (to keep fluids circulated) would make any difference to the condition of the oil as compared to daily running.

I chose to run it after reading about the possibility of interior engine rusting, since oil film will eventually dissapate on a dormant engine. I got that info from the Technical Information feature of "Road & Track" magazine. They suggested 1 month maximum interval for starting a stored car. Fogging is good, but doesn't reach all internal parts, supposedly, but its a great choice if monthly starting is impossible, they say.

I won't sell Dads truck. I know dollar wise that may not make sense, but, quite frankly, some things are worth much more than money to me. I am already more than halfway through the storage period, and so far, so good. Just nine months to go. The oil looks great. I am keeping the truck in someones vacant garage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
.... Double dose of Stabil in gas tank. My daughter will be going off to college with my car next summer, so, I am storing Dads truck, and starting it for 20 minuits once a month, until I bring it home next summer. It has always had Mobil 1 since new, and had fresh change and filter just before storage. ....

I have not had very good luck with Stabil. What I found worked was a double dose of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus.

For a vehicle in long-term storage you want an oil that is very "polar" - sticks to the metal.

Mobil's 10W-40 motorcycle oil does that, and I also found that Lubegard's Bio Tech Engine Protectant - which is an esterized vegetable oil (I believe jojobo) - also works well.

I chose to run it after reading about the possibility of interior engine rusting, since oil film will eventually dissapate on a dormant engine. I got that info from the Technical Information feature of "Road & Track" magazine. They suggested 1 month maximum interval for starting a stored car. Fogging is good, but doesn't reach all internal parts, supposedly, but its a great choice if monthly starting is impossible, they say.

I won't sell Dads truck. I know dollar wise that may not make sense, but, quite frankly, some things are worth much more than money to me. I am already more than halfway through the storage period, and so far, so good. Just nine months to go. The oil looks great. I am keeping the truck in someones vacant garage.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about internal rust if the engine was fogged properly.

I've fired marine (inboard) engines that have sat for more than a decade. All it takes is some time and the proper procedure for when you go and start it again.

Trust us here. How a oil LOOKS means NOTHING.

As you can see here, we have had some experience on these things. We are trying to suggest how to keep the engine from costing you more $$ when it comes time to run it full time.

A 1997 truck is a OBDII. That means that if anything goes wrong with a sensor or device, you will know about it right away and replace it. (which = $$)

I under stand wanting to keep it. So lets do the following..

Get into the truck and drain the gas. Like I said and the reply below Stabil is less than steller on keeping gas. Much less 2 years worth. So drain the gas and then put in some fresh stuff with stabil. (Stabil is better than nothing. But again not for so long)

Then lets warm it up by trying to drive it around. The more and higher speeds for a longer time would be better. Then change the oil and filter. Put in any oil that is API rated.

Then find a fogging unit and go to town. Trust me (and OVERK1LL) that fogging a engine will protect it WAY beyond anything else you can do.

Like him, I've seen fogged engines YEARS later left in a crate that were just fine. Even the bare bores were nice and shiny.

Hopefully this helps you.

You'll find that we do offer reasonable advice here that adds common sense with experience. (well most of us
grin2.gif
)

I had a 1996 Chevy C1500 with the 4.3 v6 and 5 speed. LOVED that truck. The guy who bought it still drives it daily, works it like a truck and it has 240k on it getting well over 20 mpg.

Take care, bill

Original Poster -

Few things will sour your fond memory than trying to hold onto something that will fall apart around you.

Storing that truck without any real driving, even once a month real driving, will ensure it does just that...falls apart when it comes time to give you service again.

As people have said, nothing simulates highway driving like....Highway Driving! With the engine just sitting there, you will accumulate nasty stuff in the oil. Fuel, moisture.

The oil will look just fine because it's not getting contaminated with combustion byproducts. But it's not fine.

Neither will all the little seals and things that will make your life [censored] once it goes back into service.

Have you talked to your insurance company about this? You may be able to get a very, very low rate for, say, under 5000 miles a year (or less, I don't know). It will be more worthwhile to pay an extra $200 a year for you to be able to drive it once every 2 weeks on a genuine drive then to do what you are doing and risk having so much wear on unlubricated gaskets, worn out fluids, and the formation of rust on parts that need to get nice and hot on a regular basis.

Good luck!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back