Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about the new Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40? My local WMart just started selling it. Its a lot cheaper than Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40. Do you think my KLR650 could tell the difference?

Thanks

I run the Mobi1 1 15w50 in my KLR650. The KLR650 ain't picky about oil. I have 56,000 miles on mine and plan or runnin' it 'til it drops in the next couple of year. I cost is a factor I would probably run the Rotella 5w40 synthetic or the Delo 400. My bike gets quite a bit of use under varied conditions from below freezing to the blazin' hot summer temperatures here in South Texas and have never had any problems with the Mobil 1 15w50. The old bike has been to around 30 states so far including Alaska and Maine.

Yeah, the clutch might slip and will shear to a lower viscosity faster. I think your owners manual recommends a JASO MA oil. The Mobil 1 MX4T motorcycle oil is a great oil and is JASO MA. You can read a great 26 motorcycle oil comparison and why you should use motorcycle specific oils at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf .

swjohnsey:

56K for a duel purpose bike!
banana.gif

I used the Mobil 1 15w50 for awhile in my ZX-10R and the clutch didn't slip so I don't think you will have a problem in your KLR650. The Mobil 1 MX4T is good oil and that is what I now use in the ZX-10R because the 15w50 caused clunky shifting when cold.

Agree with johnsey, they aren't picky at all. The roller bearing bottom end doesn't give a hoot about viscosity so just about anything is fine there, even thin sheared down high mile oil. The top end has big wide bucket followrs on the cam lobes and fairly light springs, doesn't require big additive levels so wooring about zddp or whattever is a moot point IMO. I've had a 600, a tengai, and still own a 92 650 and have put lots of different oils in them, no real winners or losers. Think mine has 10w30 troparctic in it at this moment. They're not bikes they are appliances, LOL. There's some stuff online about adding more than the sight glass level, don't agree. Been there done that, they'll windage and blow off the extra oil if your riding at higher rpms. Proved it (to myself anyway) on trips where we quit topping it and found it stopped using.

Thanks for everyone's response. I'll probably try Rotella 5w40 synthetic this spring.

Foch

I've been using M1 15w/50 in my '97 Nighthawk for about 9 years now. Never had a problem in 60K miles. Went 6K on a change, used maybe 1/2 qt during a cross country trip. I use Rotella T 5w/40 in my '98 Goldwing. Doesn't use any oil between 3-4K changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back