FRAM Full Synthetic 0W-30 | 3,000 miles | 2018 Mercedes GLC 300 | Mileage 70,000

Here’s the first oil analysis that I have ever done. I am still learning what each are but I think I like the low calcium level for this engine. Perhaps it makes sense since this oil is API SP. In any case, I already switched to M1 FS 0W-40 (API SP).

What do you guys think on other values?

Some details;

* Purchased the car from a used dealership at 56,000 miles
* Drove it for 10,000 miles without any oil change (that’s because they changed the oil at the time of sale and I did not know anything about motor oils)
* I would say 70/30 Highway/Town driving ratio (since I got the car)
* I went back to them for an oil change (paid $70 including oil filter but mainly went to them back due to the extended warranty with them)
* Realized they used Fram full synthetic 0W-30. I suppose they used the same at the time of sale.
* Decided to start changing the oil myself, pumped it out at 3,000 and sent it for UOA
* Filled with Mobil 1 FS 0W-30 (SP) and will continue using this with 3,000 to 4,000 miles intervals. I’ll do another UOA at next 3,000 - 4,000 miles and see how it goes. Want to keep the car as long as possible.

IMG_0172.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a speculation with no proof. I'm seeing these really low levels of Calcium in oils lately & I'm thinking this is a newer formulation that may replace SP in the future at some point soon? SQ next? Just thinking out loud. Anyways, the wear numbers on your GLC300 are low so that's great news. It appears to be in good shape. Thanks for sharing.

Correction on my original post: Replaced it with Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (SP) - Not 0W-30 🙂

If it even matters, some photos before sending Fram 0W-30;

IMG_0063.jpeg
IMG_0062.jpeg
IMG_0061.jpeg
IMG_0060.jpeg

Last edited:
Why 3k-4k intervals going forward? You are upgrading the oil and the 3k run on the fram oil didn’t show any concerns like fuel dilution. Bump it up to 5k miles at least for the next OCI.

Why 3k-4k intervals going forward? You are upgrading the oil and the 3k run on the fram oil didn’t show any concerns like fuel dilution. Bump it up to 5k miles at least for the next OCI.
That’s something I might do. I’ll just do another UOA at 3,000 miles with the new oil and might just bump it up to 5,000 miles based on the results

The Fram cst@100 is pretty low for what presumably is supposed to be a Euro oil. Probably not a great choice for longer OCIs. I’m not familiar with it maybe it’s not a Euro?

Correction on my original post: Replaced it with Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (SP) - Not 0W-30 🙂

If it even matters, some photos before sending Fram 0W-30;
You already know this but just let the oil run for several seconds before putting the sample in the stream. I count anywhere from 10-20 seconds depending on the sump capacity of what I'm testing. The 0w-40 appears to be a Euro oil so your in good shape there on your next run. These are positioned for at least up to 10k miles or more so they are an excellent oil for your 5k interval.

You already know this but just let the oil run for several seconds before putting the sample in the stream. I count anywhere from 10-20 seconds depending on the sump capacity of what I'm testing. The 0w-40 appears to be a Euro oil so your in good shape there on your next run. These are positioned for at least up to 10k miles or more so they are an excellent oil for your 5k interval.
The 0W-40 doesn’t just appear to be a “Euro oil”, it is one due to the European approvals it has.

You’re right. It is not a Euro
It's interesting that your engine seems to be very happy with a much thinner non-Euro oil. The difference in minimum HTHS is quite large between these oils, 3.5 cP vs 2.9 cP. In non-Euro oil terms, that's basically a two-grade difference, about the same as the difference between a 5W-30 and a 0W-16.

Very nice UOA OP. I want to see a Volkswagen owner to similarly TOFTT, but good luck with that crowd. They like to him and haw about VW spec's until blue in the face. :sneaky:

You already know this but just let the oil run for several seconds before putting the sample in the stream. I count anywhere from 10-20 seconds depending on the sump capacity of what I'm testing.
Hmmm. I’ve always sampled instantly to get all the crud from the bottom of the pan tested, not the lighter oil that’s floating on top.

I unscrew the drain plug all the way but hold it in and drain out just a tiny amount to flush any metal shavings from the drain hole threads and pull my sample. Never had any issue. Always super low metal count in all my reports. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hmmm. I’ve always sampled instantly to get all the crud from the bottom of the pan tested, not the lighter oil that’s floating on top.

I unscrew the drain plug all the way but hold it in and drain out just a tiny amount to flush any metal shavings from the drain hole threads and pull my sample. Never had any issue. Always super low metal count in all my reports. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sampling the oil from the bottom of the pan is not the issue. Some drain port areas may have excess debris that you'd certainly not want to contaminate the oil you're testing. It's this debris that's not in your oil that gets into the oil when you initially drain that flushes away after a few seconds. Yours may be spotless but a lot may not be.

Back