Mobil 1 Filter Poor quality control premium price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If the cut ADBV is shown out of the filter in the 4th photo down, then isn't the filter already cut open?

That's why I'm confused why people keep asking him to cut it open... The pictures clearly show a filter that has been cut open. I think the OP believes they are asking him to cut open the filter media?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If the cut ADBV is shown out of the filter in the 4th photo down, then isn't the filter already cut open?

That's why I'm confused why people keep asking him to cut it open... The pictures clearly show a filter that has been cut open. I think the OP believes they are asking him to cut open the filter media?

I was one of them ... but why didn't the OP say it has been cut open instead of saying he'll cut it open but that would void any warranty if he sent it in. Sounds like the OP is just as confused, or not keeping his story straight.

This vehicle goes nowhere near salt. Only driven in the spring summer fall. Salt up here in Vermont is the worst. My mountaineer is mint. Real hard to prevent rust up here. At best you can delay it or not use in winter. That is where my 02 jeep comes in.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
In the first picture, the box is the new, 20,000 Mobil 1 filter, but, the label on the oil filter is the old Mobil 1 filter. I took the below picture to show the difference.

Not sure what happened with that filter. Our family has used the Mobil 1 oil filters here and there the last several years, with at least 5,000 miles to around 7,500-8,000 miles on them, summer AND winter conditions. We have NEVER had one look like that, the outside paint on them at the end when I took them off basically looked like when I installed, minus the dust and dirt on them.

What ever is happening with the OP's filter has not been our typical experience with the Mobil 1 filters.

As stated above the filter and box do not match, the Mobil 1 Annual filters have a silver band on the filter versus the gold band on the previous generation filters. I live in northern NJ, similar climate to VT, and have used Mobil 1 filters on my 1996 2.0L Zetec for 18 to 24 months at a time. They all come off just dirty, never rusted like the OP's. Maybe he was a "victim" of a filter switching and didn't notice it. That's not uncommon at Walmart, sad to say.

Whimsey

I wonder if this filter was one of those WalMart recycle jobs? Old filter in a new box for refund and gets back on the shelf.

The rust looks to be painted over as well. This must be a old filter and has been in use for some time

This is why I like the Bosch Distance Plus for 4WD vehicles that get driven off road, or on gravel roads. The can on them is at least twice as thick as the average Fram, and they can take a shot from gravel & rocks much better than a lesser filter. I'm even using them on the 2WD GMC in my sig now, don't have to worry about frequent trips to the scrapyard & other trips on rough gravel roads. Anyone who's ever run on gravel roads with A/T tires has heard the rocks flying off the tires when returning to high-speed asphalt-sounds like gunshots in the fenders.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is why I like the Bosch Distance Plus for 4WD vehicles that get driven off road, or on gravel roads. The can on them is at least twice as thick as the average Fram, and they can take a shot from gravel & rocks much better than a lesser filter. I'm even using them on the 2WD GMC in my sig now, don't have to worry about frequent trips to the scrapyard & other trips on rough gravel roads. Anyone who's ever run on gravel roads with A/T tires has heard the rocks flying off the tires when returning to high-speed asphalt-sounds like gunshots in the fenders.

The can on the M1 filters is quite heavy, I believe about the same as the Bosch FWIW.

Originally Posted By: littleant
... I check this filter out before purchase at WM.

Boom...I’m guessing you got a well-used filter. And someone else got their old oil too.

OP, how long (time wise) was this filter in service? You say it was not run during the winter, but if the car say in a damp garage all winter it may as well have.

M1 if not a favorite of mine, I think for the money there are better filters with full synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Some consumption is normal when switching oil brands.

However, there's not a snowball's chance in HE-double hockey sticks that the filter rusted like that in 2000 miles of summer use. I've run that filter in the rust belt, in the winter, and the can came off the truck (Expedition) looking as good as it did going on. In fact, I don't recall EVER seeing a rusted M1 can on here.

+1 Sounds like an unrealistic claim by the OP.

+2 ... Moreover, the OP said in one of his posts that he checked the filter out at WM before he purchased it. So, that rules out a damaged, rusted, or used filter at the time of purchase/installation. So, everyone can draw his or her own conclusion about that and this thread.

Yes … if I hold an M~212 and 10575 at the same time the M1 is darn sure heavier …

Speaking of Walmart return jobs. I bought some oil south of the Border on sale and got it home. Went to do an oil change and there was used oil in the M1 container with the foil re-glued back onto top of the bottle to make it look like it was sealed. I couldn't believe it.

Took pictures and called the store, they put a note in their book and took it back when I brought it back weeks later.

Now I check closely.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why does the canister have huge dents? Am I the only one that sees that? Most visible in picture 6 but also in picture 5. ???

That's just the contour of the filter top so you can grip it better when installing-uninstalling.

No way that filter rusted like that after only 2000 miles of summer only use. No way..

As far as the torn ADBV, I find it hard to believe you didn't possibly see it before installation or at least notice any unusual chatter during startup.

I've used Mobil 1 filters for many years, in NY where rust is an issue. Some of them were in service for two+ years and didn't look that bad. Either the quality took a major hit or something isn't Kosher here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back