Mobil 1 filter equivalent to Toyota 90915-20004?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by btanchors:
There is indeed room for the larger filter on my 2003 GS 430. In fact, the filter that came on the car FROM THE FACTORY was a Toyota 90915-20004, which in fact was about the same size as the M1-209. So then WHY wouldn't Mobil spec the M1-209 as the replacement for my GS 430? What other possible differences could there be between the M1-102 and M1-209?

By the way, Tones also raises a good point about possibly voiding the warranty by using a filter that wasn't the model recommended, but at this point, I'm still interested in the answer...

Although I doubt you'd get a Toyota/Lexus employee to commit to it, I think you're fine using an M1-209 if there's room. The ONLY reason I removed the 209 from my 1MZ was nervousness. Every time I'd open the hood, I'd look down and see the thing a thumb width or so from the exhaust manifold. It never showed any signs (scorching, discoloration, etc) of thermal distress, but I just wan't sure. Functionally, it was perfect. Oil pressure was fine, and even on the first start, the light stayed on maybe an eyeblink longer than with the smaller filter -- barely noticeable. I kept it for about 750 miles without any trouble, except for my imagination...

Warranty wouldn't likely be an issue either. As I've preached repeatedly here, you really don't "void" your wty. They can only deny individual claims IF they can prove you caused a problem. In this case that would probably be hard with you using a premium filter the same size as the one put on at the factory. See my post of a few minutes ago on the "Best oil for 3.8L" in the automotive oil room.

btanchors:

Maybe this will help. Mobil also makes the M1-209 filter, which has exactly the same base as the M1-102, but is about half again as long. I've tried the M1-209 on my 1MZ V-6 Camry, but took it off because I was concerned with how close the top got to the exhaust system. I don't know how much clearance your Lex has in its engine room, but this might be worth a look. Here's a photo of the 102 and 209 filters side-by-side:
 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back