Mobil 1 EP vs Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 NOACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
... IMO, .... Platinum are roughly designed for 10k intervals in most* vehicles, ...

I wish SOPUS would say that.

M1 bandwagon guys all crack me up... junk oils, overpriced with false claims that aren't worth the paper they are written on. PP or PUP is a superior oil in almost all areas to M1 but thats just my subjective opinion that will be ridiculed by the masses on here that cherish their M1...

Originally Posted by racin4ds
M1 bandwagon guys all crack me up... junk oils, overpriced with false claims that aren't worth the paper they are written on. PP or PUP is a superior oil in almost all areas to M1 but thats just my subjective opinion that will be ridiculed by the masses on here that cherish their M1...

Well, when you go around calling another brand's product "junk" one should expect some pushback.

You are entitled to your opinion, regardless of how baseless or fraught with hyperbole it may be. I must note that I find it somewhat amusing that you accuse others of being on a "bandwagon" then immediately slag the product, preach superiority of another and then try and frame it as "subjective".

Making yourself the victim by implying you'll be ridiculed for personal expression rather than the tone of the hyperbolic stream of dog faeces you just unloaded is an extra nice touch.

I recently came across Ravenol DXG 5w-30 for the two DI GM V6's in my family, (Wife's LFY and Dad's twin-turbo LF3,) and pulled the trigger on that from Blauparts in large part because those motors still call for the 5w30 viscosity and the oil looks awesome: a Group V PAO, low SAPS, NOACK of 6.0, 256ºC flash point and -57ºC pour point, and a total base of 8.3. So I looked into their DEXOS1 gen2 rated 0w20 for my Yukon with the L86 but at the moment, they don't offer it over here in the US.

The DFE 0w20 that has the DEXOS1 Gen2 is a PAO that has a NOACK of just 7.6, flash point of 238ºC, -63ºC pour point, and a total base of 9. You can get their ECS 0w20 with comparable specs but it doesn't have a formal DEXOS1 approval. I've emailed Ravenol USA and asked them if we could start getting their DFE DEXOS1 rated 0w20, and they said they would think about it. Not sure I want to temp the warranty of a DI, VVT, and DOD V8 by not using a DEXOS approved oil, even if it is very similar.

Ravenol DFE 0w20

Ravenol DXG 5w30

Talking about price ... Someone mentioned "overpriced" ...
When I bought M1 EP , it was same price as PP. iirc they were both $27.xx per 5 qt.
few months before that PP was $22.xx both seems to be same price now $25.xx
All prices are from local Wal-Mart

The question still remains.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by painfx
The question still remains.
smile.gif

And the answer is, there is no better or best oil. Either one will serve you fine. Noack is only one of many specs of a oil. Any of the major brands will run fine.

Buy the one that is cheaper.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
The M1 product does have lower volatility than does the SOPUS one and does offer better mrv/ccv.
M1 AFE beats PP in both measures as well.
Our '12 Accord has seen both and I'd use either without a second thought.
For factory recommended OCIs there really aren't any bad oils in this grade, although lower volatility is probably desirable.

Hi.

Mobil 1 AFE has a NOACK of 10.8 vs PP has a NOACK of 10.3. But PP has higher Calcium and Phosphorous so wonder if that is bad?

Also there is no NOACK specs for Mobil 1 EP, which is what I would like to know.

The Mobil 1 EP beats the PP on pour point and flash point however.

I'm curious as to where you got these numbers from.
They are not in accord with the last I saw for these two oils in PQIA's excellent VOAs, at least not in the 0W-20 grade.
One would expect both M1 EP and M1 AFE to offer lower volatility as well as superior cold end performance simply as a result of the well documented PAO content that both oils have versus the zero PAO content of the SOPUS products.

Base oil for Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is PAO, and for Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus (PPPP) 0W-20, it's GTL.

Therefore, for only $3 more for the 5-quart jug, you get a clearly superior base oil with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. Note that other viscosity grades for M1 EP have a lot less PAO in the blend.

As far as NOACK is concerned, M1 EP 0W-20 with its PAO base oil should have lower NOACK than PPPP 0W-20 with GTL NOACK = 10.8% (old PPPP formula without SN PLUS, not known for new formula with SN PLUS).

The M1 product does have lower volatility than does the SOPUS one and does offer better mrv/ccv.
For factory recommended OCIs there really aren't any bad oils in this grade, although lower volatility is probably desirable.

Hi.

Mobil 1 AFE has a NOACK of 10.8 vs PP has a NOACK of 10.3. But PP has higher Calcium and Phosphorous so wonder if that is bad?

Also there is no NOACK specs for Mobil 1 EP, which is what I would like to know.

They are not in accord with the last I saw for these two oils in PQIA's excellent VOAs, at least not in the 0W-20 grade.
One would expect both M1 EP and M1 AFE to offer lower volatility as well as superior cold end performance simply as a result of the well documented PAO content that both oils have versus the zero PAO content of the SOPUS products.

Hi.

Here is the link. I might be off by .1 on the numbers. But you think M1 EP & AFE is a better oil because it has PAO?
I've used Mobil 1 EP in the past but in my experience I still lose more oil vs Castrol Edge Titanium. Since now I am learning about NOACK, I am now considering something else better than Castrol. I chose Mobil 1 EP & PP is because I see they have great cold pour points, which I think is crucial for winter season. So I am here comparing which of the 2 would be consider better. Mobil 1 EP has higher PAO, vs PP has higher cleaning agents.

https://pqiablog.com/2017/04/11/five-0w-20s-and-they-all-look-good/

Last edited:

Hi.

Hi.

https://pqiablog.com/2017/04/11/five-0w-20s-and-they-all-look-good/

This test result article was published back in April 2017. A lot of oil companies have reformulated their oil since then to conform to the newer Dexos 1 Gen 2 requirements so most likely those results are now obsolete.

cr This test result article was published back in April 2017. A lot of oil companies have reformulated their oil since then to conform to the newer Dexos 1 Gen 2 requirements so most likely those results are now obsolete.[/quote said:
That's the only available information I can get at the moment.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Base oil for Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is PAO, and for Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus (PPPP) 0W-20, it's GTL.

Therefore, for only $3 more for the 5-quart jug, you get a clearly superior base oil with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. Note that other viscosity grades for M1 EP have a lot less PAO in the blend.

As far as NOACK is concerned, M1 EP 0W-20 with its PAO base oil should have lower NOACK than PPPP 0W-20 with GTL NOACK = 10.8% (old PPPP formula without SN PLUS, not known for new formula with SN PLUS).

http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil_Platinum_0W20_dexos.html

They currently have 2017 data for PPPP only.

Yes, does anyone know how significant the delta noack of let's say %3 is?
I've used ~%12 noack vs. ~%9 noack oils (%3 delta) in the same car and as far oil burning factor didn't notice much difference.

idk how much more impact the %3 has on DI engines (intake valve deposit). I don't think it makes that much diff with PFI engines! Now if u go %6 noack (rare & expensive oils) vs. %13 then you may notice it in oil burning department ...I haven't experimented with noacks that far apart!

Any expert opinions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
What is the big whoop about NOACK ?

You've been on BITOG for 4 years and have 12,000 plus posts and you honestly have to ask this question?

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by CT8
What is the big whoop about NOACK ?

You've been on BITOG for 4 years and have 12,000 plus posts and you honestly have to ask this question?

After learning about the API Donut, Dexos, which oil is good for start-ups, oil filter technology, etc., I purposely chose to skip NOACK. I bet I know way more than necessary to get the best oil for my vehicle. I'm good.

No actually the PP goes out of viscosity due to oxidation sooner …
(a member from LA - one of the base oil junkies has this graph) …
and to do that it takes the right base stock and adds …
Also note the GTL based M1's are not 15k oils …

Originally Posted by 4WD
No actually the PP goes out of viscosity due to oxidation sooner …
(a member from LA - one of the base oil junkies has this graph) …
and to do that it takes the right base stock and adds …
Also note the GTL based M1's are not 15k oils …

Do you have information on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back