Mobil 1 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds logical. You computed what you computed. "There's the way it oughta be:And there's the way it is."(Strother Martin in "Cool Hand Luke) Lol.

Oil consumption is one thing and I too see that on both my Toyotas when running 0W-20 or 5W-20 as compared to 5W-30. But you were saying the lighter oil negatively affected your fuel consumption. That's what I'm asking about.

Originally Posted By: Brule
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why did it occur due to your high mileage engine?

What kind of mileage decrease did you see and how did you measure it? What were your test conditions?

It was early December. Same driving routine. Same gas station...total miles divided by gallons used. Normal mpg was consistent 29. Dropped just below 27 with 0-20. Returned to 29 after going back to 5-30 and 0-30 M1. I think this occurred only because of my high miles. A newer engine should not see these results.

This is just my theory. My engine, being well-worn, consumes a lot of oil. 0w-20 or 5w-20 can both be seen in the exhaust during WOT. 5w-30 stops the smoke but there is still consumption. I am only assuming that 5w-30 at this point is the ideal weight and 0-20 is too thin to offer enough protection. In a healthy engine that calls for a 20 the oil would be just fine, though.

Oil consumption is one thing and I too see that on both my Toyotas when running 0W-20 or 5W-20 as compared to 5W-30. But you were saying the lighter oil negatively affected your fuel consumption. That's what I'm asking about.

I don't know why mpg was lower...just reporting my results. I am always very careful to exclude results with extra highway miles or extra A/C use. Maybe just too thin to properly lubricate? If there is a possible explanation I'd like to know myself.

Too thin to properly lubricate? What do you mean?

I don't know why mpg was lower...just reporting my results. I am always very careful to exclude results with extra highway miles or extra A/C use. Maybe just too thin to properly lubricate? If there is a possible explanation I'd like to know myself.

Just guessing...like it's too thin to properly protect since clearances are larger after so many miles. How about your Toyotas...how much worse was their mpg?

My fuel economy is not worse as far as I can tell. However, I rarely check it nowadays, I don't have a mileage computer on anything but the BMW and that's still on 0W-40. Plus it's a V8 so I've stopped worrying about its fuel economy
smile.gif

Just guessing...like it's too thin to properly protect since clearances are larger after so many miles. How about your Toyotas...how much worse was their mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back