Mobil 1 5w50 SuperCar API SP (DexosR)

As a 2022 Z51 Corvette owner, I have no interest in the Z06. The flat plane crank results in inherent vibration issues that can't be good for long life and reliability. Some of these cars will be subject to great abuse on the street, others will be driven by old guys who putter around at 3 percent of the car's capability, and a few will be primarily track cars. And I agree, the oil's high zinc levels show that GM never thought these cars would get to 200,000 miles.

...If one is concerned with wear (not DLC coated cam in my case), is there any reason I should not run the 5W50 Supercar instead of the FSX2 5W50 in my GT3 RS?

In my discussions with folks in the know the Dexos R 5W50 was based on Mobil 1 FSX2 5W50, with more ZDDP added for wear protection, and more Boron added for turbo charged applications :)

Is there anyway Dexos R isn't better than FSX2, besides early cat issue, which in reality don't happen in supercars since they aren't daily?

Likely my next oil.

DexosR is most likely not based on FSx2, the viscosity (higher for DexosR), pour point (lower for DexosR), and density is slightly different. I'm not going to say which oil has the better base oil, but will point out DexosR is about 30% more expensive per quart.

I just completed a full track weekend at Circuit of the America's in my mustang with DexosR in the sump. No noticeable oil consumption over about 4hrs on track and oil pressures before and after appear to be about the same. However I should note, day 2 was a much slower pace than day 1 due to rain, and the engine wasn't working as hard. It was about 2hrs of track time each day, over 5 25 minute sessions.

I was planning on sending off a UOA right away, but will probably leave the oil in the sump for one more track day (since the rain kept me from really hammering on the car). I will report back with my UOA, so we can all see if it sheers.

As a 2022 Z51 Corvette owner, I have no interest in the Z06. The flat plane crank results in inherent vibration issues that can't be good for long life and reliability. Some of these cars will be subject to great abuse on the street, others will be driven by old guys who putter around at 3 percent of the car's capability, and a few will be primarily track cars. And I agree, the oil's high zinc levels show that GM never thought these cars would get to 200,000 miles.
All European high-SAPS oils run 1000ppm to 1200ppm Zinc.
Last two UOA from my BMW:
IMG_2626.jpeg
IMG_2625.jpeg

Zinc is at or higher than 1100. I highly doubt it will be an issue.

It looks like the better oil to me. Any reason I would not want to run this in my 16' Porsche GT3 RS? Do we know the HTHS of this oil? The Mobil 1 Euro 5w50 FS X2 is like 4.4, which I like.

Inte
From what i read in some mobil patents, its to maximize the performance of the anti wear package. The lower they went with detergents, the thicker antiwear tribofilm was formed on metal parts. But they acknowledged that to low and they had cleanliness issues.
Wonder how HPL gets by with such HIGH detergency yet low wear metals.
Probably never know that answer. 👀

Inte

Wonder how HPL gets by with such HIGH detergency yet low wear metals.
Probably never know that answer. 👀
More than one way to do it is all. I mean the patent also states that mobil determined the best combination for thickest tribofilm without increasing zddp was to use 400 ppm boron and 20% AN. The amount of AN they use is unknown but we do know they definately dont use 400 ppm boron

I will have a UOA on this oil, in fact the same oil this sample came from, in about a month. I have an upcoming track day next weekend, and that will make a total of 3 track days (all day events), plus some street miles and some autocrosses. Should give a decent indication of how it holds up for track duty.

I will have a UOA on this oil, in fact the same oil this sample came from, in about a month. I have an upcoming track day next weekend, and that will make a total of 3 track days (all day events), plus some street miles and some autocrosses. Should give a decent indication of how it holds up for track duty.
Interested in the UOA!

Very interesting. The detergents and anti wear seem at like 75% of what you would expect compared to your Blackstone VOA.

Interested to see the Blackestone UOA.

It's now a 40 grade which is no surprise. One thing I've noticed with some of the Mobil 1 grades that have more VII is they drop viscosity rather quickly. It was posted before though that Mobil uses a very clean VII though that won't leave as many deposits. I don't know how true that is or not though.

Back