Mobil 1 0w40 vs Mobil 1 5w40 truck & SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now run Mobil 1 5w40 suv in my bmw for about 2,500 miles. I do a blotter test every 500 miles or so. It sure seems the suv is much cleaner looking than the Mobil 1 0w40 at the same mileage. The 0w40 was very dark. The suv oil also looks much cleaner/lighter on the dipstick.

Any thoughts here?

Before the suv oil I had been using Mobil 1 0w40 for about 16,000 miles with oil/filer changes every 4,000 or so. Perhaps it cleaned the engine out a bit. BTW, I have used fp60 in the gas for about the last 5,000 miles. Doubt if it had any impact.

TIA

It could be that as you continue using M1 products they will stay cleaner longer due to the previous brands of oil being removed more completely and the oil being able to work more effeciently.

The 5w-40 is a true, mid-range 40wt oil and is the far better choice for any older German vehicle. I recommend it all the time, since I think it's the best competitive (to Amsoil and Redline) 5w-40 available.

The Mobil 1 0w-40 is the most overrated formulation in their generally excellent product line. It's barely thick enough to meet the ACEA, A3/B4 spec @ 3.6 Cp, and shears rather rapidly in any high performace application (no, I don't consider an LS-1, V-8 or Dodge Hemi to be high performance).

The 0w-40 will eventually thicken back up to its' original viscosity. The problem is that this occurs on the far side of 10,000 miles - even in a turbo. So it's a USELESS ATTRIBUTE for 99% of the folks using the Mobil 1, 0w-40 in the North America. All they see is the pronounced shearing effect, which compromises wear protection under boundary lubrication conditions.

Some folks who reside in former PENAL COLONIES (and shall remain nameless), seem to favor the Mobil 1, 0w-40, but you have to consider their suspect lineage and life on the frontier...
wink.gif

Tooslick

I also switched recently from M1,0w-40 to
Delvac 1,5w-40 ( reputed to be very similar to the truck & suv 5w-40).
This vehicle, VW 2.0, has 35,000 kms and has had the M1,0w-40 since 500 kms.

Since switching to the Delvac, at 34,000 kms, I also have noticed the oil is not darkening.

Mine is darkening now and I have already used every oil and additive known to man. I'm saving my 0w-40 for winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back