MMO...Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get exactly what your saying Frank. There are a few engines that run very hot or are known to be murder on oil e.g. most turbo's and Nissan VQ engines for a couple.
While the MMO maybe really fine in summer for my own peace of mind i would feel better running it during the winter months on these.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did I mention the words scientific proof? Didn't I say I used MMO during the summer more times than I can count w/o issue? What is your problem? Are you looking to discuss the product or pick a fight? I'd be willing to bet I've used a lot more MMO since the 1970's than you have, and probably know a lot more about the product than you do. Do whatever you like, I really don't care.

I'm trying to help members with problems get better results and not be disappointed if/when the MMO burns off faster during the summer heat. Most people using the product have problems, MMO will clean during the summer or winter, it burns off less in the winter, and gives better cold starts. Prove me wrong, I've only been using the stuff for close to 40 years now.

I don't understand why everyone is picking apart your post...You are addressing my orginal questions. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Trav
I get exactly what your saying Frank. There are a few engines that run very hot or are known to be murder on oil e.g. most turbo's and Nissan VQ engines for a couple.
While the MMO maybe really fine in summer for my own peace of mind i would feel better running it during the winter months on these.

Thanks Trav, coming from someone like yourself that means a lot. Yes MMO works all year long, but why thin oil in a problem engine during the hot summer if you don't have too? If you want to use it in a problem engine in the summer use a pint for the last 1000 miles of the OCI.

5W30 and MMO will work just fine. I have used Rotella 15W40 and MMO many times myself and cold weather starts are very good too. The 15W40 mix does well for me because I haul a car trailer around in the summer and I tend to like heavier oils.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
MMO appears to be a straight 10wt. oil, so it would make sense that it would bring a regular motor oil down some regardless of the oil weight you mix it with.

The people at MMO told me its about equivalent to a 5wt oil when I asked them. Thats why they said I should go up from a 10w30 to a 40wt oil if I wanted to keep around a 30wt with the mix at operating temps.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
MMO appears to be a straight 10wt. oil, so it would make sense that it would bring a regular motor oil down some regardless of the oil weight you mix it with.

The people at MMO told me its about equivalent to a 5wt oil when I asked them. Thats why they said I should go up from a 10w30 to a 40wt oil if I wanted to keep around a 30wt with the mix at operating temps.

It is about a 5 grade oil, moving up from a 30 grade to a 40 grade with the addition of MMO during the summer won't hurt anything. JMO

A 10w30 HDEO or PCMO and MMO for the full OCI would be my choice. I, as well as Frank, have advocated MMO use for a long time. My MMO usage goes back to the 90's, but my grandfather used MMO long before I came along.

Either Chevron Delo or Rotella 10w30 would be a fine choice.

I'm running Delo 15w40 and 1 full quart of MMO right now. Will be switching back to PP 5w30 in "winter."

Looks like I have a few years on you bigmike. The truth is there are people who use MMO each and every OCI since their cars were new. I told the story of a college buddy who did just that. 200,000 miles later when I helped him change his valve cover gasket the engine was spotless, like new. It was obvious MMO didn't hurt his engine. When I talk about using it during the winter I'm referring to people who haven't used it and are afraid to try it. It's thinning effects are a plus in the winter, and it is less likely to burn off IMO. I'm not afraid to use it in the summer, but honestly if I feel the need to do some maint' cleaning I can wait till winter. No facts just my opinion!

BlackstoneMarvelMysteryOilReport.jpg

This is why I thought it was closer to a 10wt. oil.
laugh.gif

Interesting, Rich Kelly the tech guy at Turtle Wax said this: The viscosity of Marvel Mystery Oil is that of a straght weight 5W motor oil.

That makes me wonder just how accurate those B_S reports are.

The viscosity chart on the BITOG front page shows the dividing line between 5 weight and 10 weight oil to be about 4.2cSt. that would put the measured viscosity of MMO in the Blackstone report above firmly in 5 weight territory.

Lets not overreact, if one starts with a typical XW30 oil at 10.6cst @100C and puts 10% MMO with 2.6cst @100C the mixture will be circa 9.8cst @100C which is still well in the XW30 range. Feel free to check my math.

Besides, half of MMO are solvents that will evaporate shortly, so it's no issue, summer or winter. The only benefit of winter is the solvents will stay longer, possibly cleaning more.

I would not use more than 10% though.

One more thing, due to the healthy P dose, I would never put it in gas (cat poisoning).

It seems about right, the MMO 'stats'. Unless you put in a ton of MMO(3 ounces in 10 gallons?), I don't see how using it so diluted would hurt the cat, but I suppose it's possible depending on application. My car is a lean burner.
grin2.gif

Nice that they use some form on anti-wear additive to 'makeup' for the 'up to' 20% of capacity volume while in the crankcase.

Ive been on here for a couple years and Blackstone has not always struck me as consistent. Even a 10wt oil is gonna thin out the oil somewhat, and if your engine is hard on oil, its just going to shear down even more.

Last edited:
I think I've debunked the MMO cat killing myth. 199,400 miles and counting on the Aerostar with the original CC. 76,000 miles of stop and go driving in the 88 E-150, original CC, no issues. I've logged over 155K miles IIRC using MMO in the Aerostar, and the E-150 was fed MMO all its life, I'm the original owner.

Come to think of it my 85 E-150 had 150,000+ miles on it when I sold it and saw MMO in the gas since day one, original CC in that puppy too. It is hard for me to list all the cars I've added MMO to the gas, and the tens of thousands of miles I've driven them over the years. I've never replaced a CC.

There is no issue with MMO in the oil during the summer, but for those in doubt or those with oil burners, it flashes off less in the winter. Which is another way of me stating why I prefer it during the winter, plus it makes for easier cold starts. JMO

Interesting, Rich Kelly the tech guy at Turtle Wax said this: The viscosity of Marvel Mystery Oil is that of a straght weight 5W motor oil.

You would think a tech guy from the company would know... Perhaps there are variances in viscosity that come out of the factory, or the oil flashes off solvents and thickens as it gets older? I don't know how old this sample was unfortunately.

You would think a tech guy from the company would know... Perhaps there are variances in viscosity that come out of the factory, or the oil flashes off solvents and thickens as it gets older? I don't know how old this sample was unfortunately.

Rich Kelly nows a thing or two about MMO. I think it is B_S and their testing methods. Up until a year ago I still had MMO in the metal qt containers, there was no change in the product at all. JMO

The comments in the posted Blackstone test are wrong. The actual test results in that same report are (probably) right. The measured viscosity of 2.64cSt places MMO in 5 weight territory. Whoever was doing the comments for Blackstone should have known that any oil viscosity below 4.2cSt would not be 10 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back