MMO full oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled a bottle with 16oz of MMO and stuck it in my freezer over night. It still sloshes quite nicely at 0F. So, I put 22oz (all I had left) in my moms car to thin out the Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage for winter. I didn't want to dump that oil with only a bit over 1k miles on it, but the car was really not happy when it started on the 15F mornings.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I am at 4k w/ my MMO treatment (2qts MC5w20, 1qt Havoline 20w50 & 1qt MMO). I plan on going to 5k just for grins. Very curious to see the condition of the oil. Wish I could see into the engine to see what it looks like...

Which engine, filter & miles on this?

I would think 4k is long enough on that oil mixture and would vote to drain now.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I am at 4k w/ my MMO treatment (2qts MC5w20, 1qt Havoline 20w50 & 1qt MMO). I plan on going to 5k just for grins. Very curious to see the condition of the oil. Wish I could see into the engine to see what it looks like...

I would think 4k is long enough on that oil mixture and would vote to drain now.

I'd probably change it out at 4K as well, although if the driving conditions were normal, and his normal OCI is always 5K he should be OK.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I filled a bottle with 16oz of MMO and stuck it in my freezer over night. It still sloshes quite nicely at 0F. So, I put 22oz (all I had left) in my moms car to thin out the Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage for winter. I didn't want to dump that oil with only a bit over 1k miles on it, but the car was really not happy when it started on the 15F mornings.

LOL MMO laughs at freezer temps and 0*F, but still a good test to see for yourself. The 22 ounces in your moms car should help. I told this story a few times. I had gone to visit a cousin in the winter who lives in the Adirondacks, upstate NY. I was running Mobil 1 5w30, and I hadn't started my van in about 3 days. It was -30*F or so the day I came home. The noises my van made on startup were sickening.

The following year I went to visit him, it was almost identical weather, and the van once again sat for the same time frame. We were parked side by side. He was running Mobil 1 5W30 as was I, only I had a qt of MMO mixed in this time. Start up difference was night and day, now it was his car making the noises. He became a MMO user, and I add a qt to the oil every winter w/o fail in my van.

Let us know how it works out.

This morning i drained out a qrt of oil and replaced it with MMO. So now im running GC and MMO. So far im liking what its doing to the Jetta. Im courious to see wheather or not the oil comes out darker than normal on the Tacoma. Its had synthetic its whole life.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Subaru EJ22 engine w/ 136K. I'll run to 5k but thanks for voting...

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
This morning i drained out a qrt of oil and replaced it with MMO. So now im running GC and MMO. So far im liking what its doing to the Jetta. Im courious to see wheather or not the oil comes out darker than normal on the Tacoma. Its had synthetic its whole life.

Let us know how it comes out. My guess is if you run the recommended amount for the full OCI the oil will come out darker. Odds are there will probably be some varnish and other light deposits that it cleans up. Either way its not going to hurt your engine. Good luck with it!

I have a 6 Horsepower Briggs Engine on my push mower and for 2 OCI's I ran some arx in the oil.

I had a problem with oil consumption and also some puffs of smoke sometimes while mowing, arx did not help these 2 problems.

This past spring I added some MMO and during the 1st OCI with MMO in there the oil consumption slowed down, and the puffs of smoke were less. I then changed the oil in the middle of the summer and it came out fairly dark.

I did another OCI with some MMO in the oil and I soon noticed that the puffs of smoke stopped as well as the oil consumption. I changed the oil yesterday on the mower and the oil came out looking pitch black. I change my oil on this mower every 30 hours.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LOL MMO laughs at freezer temps and 0*F, but still a good test to see for yourself. The 22 ounces in your moms car should help. I told this story a few times. I had gone to visit a cousin in the winter who lives in the Adirondacks, upstate NY. I was running Mobil 1 5w30, and I hadn't started my van in about 3 days. It was -30*F or so the day I came home. The noises my van made on startup were sickening.

The following year I went to visit him, it was almost identical weather, and the van once again sat for the same time frame. We were parked side by side. He was running Mobil 1 5W30 as was I, only I had a qt of MMO mixed in this time. Start up difference was night and day, now it was his car making the noises. He became a MMO user, and I add a qt to the oil every winter w/o fail in my van.

My mom said her car was a lot smoother when she started it this morning (it was about 20F).

That Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage does not like colder weather. I had some in my car, and when it started getting cold my fuel mileage dropped like a stone. Simply switching to a thinner oil made a dramatic improvement.

I have to say that I agree with using a thinner oil, both of my cars seem to start up better in colder weather and seem a tad more responsive.

My 1983 Chevrolet El Camino calls for 10W-30 and right now I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

My Mercury Marauder calls for 5W-20 and right now I am running Amsoil 0W-20

I am running a quart of MMO in the El Camino since it is a high mileage car and I want to continue to clean things up, it holds 6 quarts of oil so 1 quart of MMO is about 17% volume.

My Marauder holds 6 quarts of oil and I am running 19 ounces of MMO which is about 10% volume. I just feel a quart of MMO is overkill for an engine that only has 33,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

My mom said her car was a lot smoother when she started it this morning (it was about 20F).

That Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage does not like colder weather. I had some in my car, and when it started getting cold my fuel mileage dropped like a stone. Simply switching to a thinner oil made a dramatic improvement.

Once the winter sets in you'll see even more of a difference. I've told my story a few times about the Adirondack mountains, I'm sure where you live it's even colder. If you have any oil changes pending before winter try 1QT of MMO for the full OCI. You'll love the stuff and be posting more about! Glad to hear its working for you!

Quote:
That Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage does not like colder weather.

Interesting. I have found that Mobil 1030 HM strts as well or better than some 5w30's I have used, and we are about par for cold weather temps, down to -35F last year.

At -30*F I found Mobil 1 5W30 and 10W30 give me a hard time over the years. A qt of MMO added had me starting like it was about 20*F. I want to see how PP 5W30 does this winter, and ASM 0W20 w/o any MMO added. But I probably won't be headed North so I might never find out this year.

As a side note it was chevrofreak who commented about the Mobil 1 10W30.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
That Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage does not like colder weather.

Interesting. I have found that Mobil 1030 HM strts as well or better than some 5w30's I have used, and we are about par for cold weather temps, down to -35F last year.

I had figured with a pour point of -54C it would be alright to use year-round, but her car sounded like it was pumping jello when it started in the morning. The whole thing would just shake and the engine didn't sound happy (no squealing or rattling thank goodness). I wonder if it has to do with the small oil filter combined with the apparently high flow oil pump Subaru uses? My car started fine on it, but my fuel mileage was really bad.

The deal is that MMO is roughly say a 5 weight oil with a very low cold temperature pour point. If you do a 20% fill, according to TW folks on the MMO board it is like dropping the top end viscosity by a grade. E.g 5W-30 becomes 5W-20 like.

That would generally explain why the engine seems more "fun" and responsive when you put MMO in it. There is better oil flow, and less loss from viscous friction.

This is also how MMO improves cold starts. The lighter oil helps to carry along the more viscious heavier oil during the startup phase.

The question with running MMO long term, is about if it is a good idea to be running an oil with a lower top end (high temp) viscosity than the engine manual specifies.

For winter use, all else equal I think you are best off using a 0W-30, or 5W-30 oil. 10W-30 oil shouldn't be used if you expect the car to be started below 20*F regularly.

I'll also put in a plug for Lubromoly MoS2 anti-friction, which IMHO improves cold starting as well.

Good info, that Lubromoly is worth having a look at. MMO has its own anti wear additives, and the handful of UOA's I've seen where it was used were actually pretty impressive. I've run it for several full OCI's w/o issue. But as I re-live the past, It seems if I run a full qt it is usually during the winter, and the remaning year I add a pint 500-1000 miles before I drop the oil. Somethings become habit, so I wanted to clear that up.

I do have a buddy that has added a qt at every OCI since he started driving in the 1970s, something his father taught him. A 4 cyl Toyota he had comes to mind. It had over 200,000 miles, his dad had given it to him to go to College with. I seemed to always help friends with their cars, anyway another VC gasket job I helped with. This engine was as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line, and didn't use an ounce of oil between changes, after we replaced the VC gasket. Looking back I did the work my friends helped keep the beers flowing. Maybe that is why I enjoyed helping.

I too have a hard time believing that any M1 5W or 10W oil has any trouble in colder weather - cold is where M1 usually excels.

Two vehicles parked side by side in my cousin's driveway -30*F. My 1988 Ford 4.9L I-6 filled with Mobil 1 5W-30 with 1 qt MMO. My cousin's 2004 Toyota Tacoma V6 IIRC, Mobil 1 5W30 no additives. The Toyota sounded like it was going to die, and the noises it made were awful once it did start. My Ford fired right up with little effort, and nothing out of the ordinary in terms of noise. They sat from a Friday afternoon to a Sunday morning. Certainly not scientific but the year before I encountered similar circumstances and no MMO, same horrid noise that came from the Toyota came from my Ford. That reminded me how helpful the MMO was, especially if I planned visiting my cousin in the winter. My cousin has been adding MMO ever since that little side by side demo.

You live in Canada, I really think you will immediately see the difference, even with synthetic oil. I have a pre-luber pump in a van you can actually see how much faster synthetic oil starts flowing through the pump vs. dino, even in temps as cool at 30*F. Drop the temp the synthetic flows slower, add MMO it flows faster. The pre-luber doesn't have the power the engine's oil pump does so you can really see how fast or slow oil flows.

Man, I remember when ARX and LC/FP received this much attention at BITOG. It makes me fearful if this MMO craze is just "group think" mentality. Wonder what Terry would say?

My Caravan with 2.4L 4 cyl. shears PYB 5w30 down to a 20 wt.by the end of a 4K OCI. It also has "used" about 24oz. oil per OCI almost since new (unlike my previous Caravans with 4 cyl).

If I were to add 16 to 32 oz. MMO. during the last 1000 miles of an OCI, would there be a problem with the viscosity getting too low?

Thank you.

I am not disputing the easier starting claims with MMO as I've had a similar experience last winter. This year I am considering trying 16-32 oz of 0W-20 or 5W-20 (of the same dino brand that I am using at the time) during January and February to see if I have the same starting ease on those extreme cold mornings. If I can find synthetic Havoline/Chevron ?W-20, I might even try it instead of dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back