MMO and Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
A totally unscientific observation on MMO as a fuel additive and oil consumption. My Series II 3800 SC used about a quart of oil in 7500 miles consistently since owning it (6 years now). In the past OCI the only change I made has been the use of MMO as a fuel additive, same oil, driving conditions etc. Oil consumption this current OCI has been less than a quart and it is over 9000 miles since the last change. 9 1/2 months on this oil

Just an observation and who knows if it will continue, so can MMO in the gas tank have an effect on oil consumption?

Last edited:
i wouldnt think so but there is always that snowballs chance that it cleaned out one certain spot of gunk that was letting oil past.

My guess is that MMO added to the gas makes a tighter ring seal. Which is probably why many people say the engine runs smoother and better with MMO added to the gas. This is especially true in older engines. Maybe that tighter ring seal is allowing less oil past the rings. Either way a qt of oil used in 7500 miles is good in my book.

It depends on what's causing the oil consumption. If it's dirty rings, or a gunked up seal, the cleaning may help. If it's due to worn parts, it won't. But in any oil use scenario that hasn't been confirmed to be a worn part, it's cheap enough to be worth trying.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My guess is that MMO added to the gas makes a tighter ring seal. Which is probably why many people say the engine runs smoother and better with MMO added to the gas. This is especially true in older engines. Maybe that tighter ring seal is allowing less oil past the rings. Either way a qt of oil used in 7500 miles is good in my book.

+1

Agree 100% with Damarpaint. The tighter ring seal will improve compression and help the engine run better and have better power too. I would say keep adding the MMO to the fuel and monitoring the oil consumption.

What effect does adding MMO, FP60, 2-cycle oil, etc. to the gas have on combustion chamber deposits, the emissions system (O2 sensors and converter), and knock resistance of the fuel?

I'm no expert, but it seems to me like adding something to the gas that doesn't have the same burn characteristics as gas could be asking for trouble. If the additive doesn't burn as cleanly as gas, is it leaving additional carbon deposits on pistons, spark plugs, exhaust valve seats, and rings? Could it foul the converter prematurely, or are the combustion byproducts of these things detrimental to O2 sensors or catalytic converters?

I know after using up a tank of gas treated with a bottle of Techron Plus, there were yellowish-white chalky deposits on the spark plugs of my car. Chevron says those are normal and will go away, but that's a cleaner additive. What do other additives do as far as deposits?

MMO is a UCL and it softens carbon. As of today my 88 E-150 has been using MMO since just about new. The cat converter is original.

My 93 Aerostar has been using it since I bought it with about 50K miles, it has close to 190K on it. The cat converter and O2 sensor is original. As far as I can tell it doesn't harm them, and I've run some pretty large doses of it more than once in both vehicles.

I am also using it in my 08 Jeep Liberty, since about 300 miles, and plan on doing so as long as I own it.

2 stroke oil is a GREAT UCL. But watch out for your dosage. It is not going to burn completely clean, neither is it a cleaner. But it will indeed burn - it is designed to.
We don't have to worry about MMO burning clean - it has not been a problem [reasonable dosage] and should actually reduce CC deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back