mitsubishi outlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't imagine towing with a so-called "suv". They're not heavy duty workhorses,they're only made to carry rugrats and soccer balls.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Car and Driver is smoking funny stuff. Subaru and Toyota end of that pack? I think not.
I noticed that too. Handling dynamics came up short, which they do emphasize. If you don't care about chassis poise, then it opens up the field more.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Personally not a fan of mitsu or hyundai myself but compare them both with price/features and see which one drives best. Next time I buy something, I plan to test drive most cars in the segment!
You'll need a lot of time. Many to go through. You'll be endlessly busy.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Instead of basing opinion on a 23 year old Montero, look at what people who are experts on the subject say about the Outlander (spoiler alert: Its actually worse than a Compass....):
qipNbzk.jpg

Forester and Rogue are also on the bottom of the list! "Experts"... Lol

I agree that there are better SUVs for soccer moms, but both Outlander and Forester are great SUV's and both of them are better than Jeep [censored] in every way. You may not get the best fuel economy, but you are going to get better AWD system, off road capability and reliability. Can't go wrong with both of them.

The only disadvantage for Mitsu is the depreciation. I'd recommend buying 1-2 years old "slightly" used one instead of getting brand new.

For the OP, the Mitsubishi has one advantage as it is the only crossover in its class to offer a V6. While it is not a powerhouse engine, it is also mated to a six speed Invecs automatic transmission. The 4 cylinder engine is mated to a XTronic CVT.

@ Rolla07,

There are numerous vehicles in the crossover segment as you know. I have been researching myself as I am getting one in about a month. I used the Internet to weed out the models and brands I didn't want and came up with a short list. From there, I researched the forums of those particular brands and models to see how owners liked them. Finally I will go to the lots to personally inspect and drive.

Right now at the top of our list is the Mazda CX-5. It meets all our needs and wants. Of course everyone has different tastes and needs so having so many to choose from is a good situation. Good luck on that venture when it's time.

Only problem that I've seen with Mitsubishi is that their cars burn A LOT of oil. Used to have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Thing was dead reliable, made lots of road trips, but burned a quart a week.

Instead of basing opinion on a 23 year old Montero, look at what people who are experts on the subject say about the Outlander (spoiler alert: Its actually worse than a Compass....):
qipNbzk.jpg

The only placement I agree with here is the CR-V.

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
Only problem that I've seen with Mitsubishi is that their cars burn A LOT of oil. Used to have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Thing was dead reliable, made lots of road trips, but burned a quart a week.

I had a Montero Sport myself. Great vehicle. The 3.0 v6 had a a tendency to leak out of the freeze plugs. Mine did but it was more of a weep. At 130k I would weep a bit myself. It wasn't enough to change the level on the dipstick though. I never had to add oil in that car or the 92 Expo with the 1.8 4 Cylinder. The Expo had 200k on it.

Both cars ran 5W-30 as was specified back then.

We used to have a 2007 Outlander with the 3.0 V6. We bought it with 20,000 miles from Avis rental. Gave us very reliable service, all we had to do was the routine maintenance, tires/brakes/oil changes. We sold it with 80,000 miles in 2012 and the current owner has 130K plus on it and its still giving them reliable service. The only thing with a Mitsubishi is to replace the timing belts every 60K regardless.....when I worked in Mitsubishi service I saw lots of engine failures at 75-80K because the timing belts were never replaced. We have had many Mitsubishi's over the years, Eclipse's, the Outlander and a Galant. All were extremely reliable and never left us stranded. I would buy another Mitsubishi in a minute. The new Outlander represents a great deal with the discounts/rebates offered. The Body Style is ok, but you get a lot of features for the money and the AWD System Mitsubishi uses is very similar to what was used in the Lancer EVO and works incredibly well in snow. With the 5/60,000 b2b warranty and 10/100,000 powertrain you cant go wrong.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
The only placement I agree with here is the CR-V.
If the Rav4 had decent steering and handled better, it would be up there with the CRV. Some models fail to rank higher due to a sluggish transmission. Honda and Mazda appear to have nailed all the big performance points with few flaws. I know the Escape feels very solid to drive, so if the Mazda or Honda is better, thats a huge accomplishment. Likely the top 7 are all fairly close on driving dynamics.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
For the OP, the Mitsubishi has one advantage as it is the only crossover in its class to offer a V6. While it is not a powerhouse engine, it is also mated to a six speed Invecs automatic transmission. The 4 cylinder engine is mated to a XTronic CVT.

The Cherokee has an optional 3.2L V6, with a 9-speed automatic. I'd recommend a Cherokee if there was some evidence Fiat-Chrysler has ironed out the bugs by now; maybe they have. The first model years had a ton of recalls and problems.

It is true V6's are disappearing in favor of turbo-DI 4's. One advantage of the 4's offered is the good low to mid range torque which makes normal driving more peppy. Usually fuel economy improves using the blown 4's too.

There are numerous vehicles in the crossover segment as you know. Right now at the top of our list is the Mazda CX-5.

The CX-5 is considered to be one of the best. My '18 Equinox copied its (and the Escape's) Control Blade rear suspension, which just works well.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I couldn't imagine towing with a so-called "suv". They're not heavy duty workhorses,they're only made to carry rugrats and soccer balls.

I assume you mean compact SUV's?

Their drive trains are also pretty low tech but seem to be keeping up with the rest in the mileage race as well which is a plus for me.
Also I was surprised how many Outlanders I saw in northern ontario this summer so it must be reasonably reliable as often you are a long way from anywhere up there.

I just find out the Outlander is a compact SUV; I always consider it as a mid-size SUV; am I missing something here;

also, to me Mitsubishi is way overlooked car company; I've seen many Mitsu over 200K...

Originally Posted By: miden851
I just find out the Outlander is a compact SUV; I always consider it as a mid-size SUV; am I missing something here;
You're probably thinking of the Endeavor, made from 2003-2011. It was basically competent and looked good.

@oil; yes you're so right sir! I completely forgot on the Endeavor. Thank You!

If you can find something about the car like the warranty to really latch on to, then you can justify buying something that ranks at the very bottom.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back