Minor rust repair by body shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Focus has a couple small rust spots that I'd like to stop from spreading as I think we are going to keep it for a long time. All the rust seems to be from scratches or stone chips from not having mud flaps, so the rust is not coming through the panels.
What should I expect from a professional repair?
I've seen lots of cars from used car dealers with initally good looking repairs that bubble within a year or two.
What needs to be done is the first 4" of both rockers, a 3' scrape down the pinch weld on one rocker, and a bit around the back edges of the rear doors.
I guess I am wondering if this is going to be an all day project for a guy or half day?
I've never had a car in for body work before, usually I do a hack job on the rust and live with dents as we get them.

Take it up to Holiday Ford, they have the best body shop in town and I believe offer a warranty on their rust repair. They aren't overly inexpensive, but they aren't highway robbery either and they do incredible work.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Thanks, I would never have thought of them. I guess they should know how to keep their own cars from rusting.

You busy today after work? I can show you the repairs they did for me if you'd like.

Would you consider doing something like this picture? Paint the rocker panels with that black textured material that is somewhat thick and flexible to take the rock abuse?? I "think" the body shops have a special material for this, but it is probably similar to bed liner.

Or, is it too ghetto? And, you should get the interior rocker panels oil sprayed to slow down what's started inside.
2011_ford_focus-pic-2153618800592972032.jpeg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Would you consider doing something like this picture? Paint the rocker panels with that black textured material that is somewhat thick and flexible to take the rock abuse?? I "think" the body shops have a special material for this, but it is probably similar to bed liner.

Or, is it too ghetto? And, you should get the interior rocker panels oil sprayed to slow down what's started inside.
56808109_md.jpg

The rockers actually are coated with rubberish stuff and then painted body colour, but even that couldn't take direct rock hits from right behind the front tire. The back door areas will need matched paint anyways, so I assume they'll have to mix up some paint for that already.
My car already looks a bit high, and its kiwi green as well, so doing the black rocker thing won't look to good. I am going to get it Krown'd after as well so hopefully it won't rust from within.

Last edited:
All the Focus rockers around here are holey.Dig a little deeper,you'll find rust from the inside out.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Fords have an excellent habit of rusting from the inside out!

What a helpful contribution to this thread
smirk.gif

My personal observations over several years tell me that this is absolutely true for the rocker panels. Ford really messed up on the rocker panels.

Definitely Krown it after it gets repaired. I shot the Cruze's rockers with Fluid Film inside and out this year. Previous years only got outside. Time will tell if that was a good move.

I think the rust is still from the outside on this one still. The later years are supposed to be better, but we'll see how they hold up.
Anyone have a rust repair done and end up feeling like it was a waste of money? I'd hate to dump $500 into it for nothing.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think the rust is still from the outside on this one still. The later years are supposed to be better, but we'll see how they hold up.
Anyone have a rust repair done and end up feeling like it was a waste of money? I'd hate to dump $500 into it for nothing.

It's aesthetic. Does the rust bother you?

Last edited:
If its rust from scratches and rock hits, is that something you could do yourself? Not hard to sand to bare metal and go from there. Its where metal repair parts need to be welded that a pro is really needed.

Whats the car worth.

I would like to keep the car going for 7-8 more years as that will only be 200000km more. The drivetrain should have no problem going that far, and I just want to get my money out of it and its in pretty good shape overall.
I meant to get fixing it myself this summer but it never happened and I don't have a heated space to get paint to cure now. Overkill PM'd me with the work Holiday Ford has done for his cars and they sound great if they can do the job at a good price, so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Get the rust fixed properly, even if it costs a bit more, since you want to keep this car for quite some time, and then get it oil sprayed by Krown or Rustcheck. Also, on top of that you can buy a can of RustCure from CT and treat the trouble spots yourself before and after winter.

This way the rust should be kept at bay and will not come back in a year or two.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

What a helpful contribution to this thread
smirk.gif

Kinda sorta, My 73 Torino Squire would probably still be on the road if it had had about 3 dozen 1/4" holes drilled in strategic places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back