Might have found a bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I like my "limp wristed" 3-cyl 115 HP, 435 lb wet Yamaha XSR900.

I really like those. I'm getting old and have problems riding Hayabusa type bikes because of the rider's position.

I've got a 2000 Hayabusa too. The riding comfort between them is night and day ... the XSR900 gets ridden 95% of the time. The XSR is much lighter (by 120 lbs) and handles the twisty roads like it's on rails. The poor Busa feels abandoned.

Don't forget an 883 can be made a 1200 or 1250 with just a top end kit. While your heads are off, good time to get them ported. The job can be done with the engine in frame. FWIW I put a Power Commander 5 on my Dyna along with an S&S breather and slip-ons and make 69 hp/79 torque; a decent increase (about 15) over stock at the wheel.

The bike will be kept 100% mechanically stock, absolutely no engine modifications whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Don't forget an 883 can be made a 1200 or 1250 with just a top end kit. While your heads are off, good time to get them ported. The job can be done with the engine in frame. FWIW I put a Power Commander 5 on my Dyna along with an S&S breather and slip-ons and make 69 hp/79 torque; a decent increase (about 15) over stock at the wheel.

The bike will be kept 100% mechanically stock, absolutely no engine modifications whatsoever.

But you gotta have straight pipes on a Harley!
grin.gif

Motorcycles should be legally required to run only unaltered factory exhaust systems. Motorcycles with straight pipes should be seized and destroyed, with the owners charged for the disposal and publicly flogged. (Say, 100 lashes, plus ten per decibel over stock.)

Motorcycles should be legally required to run only unaltered factory exhaust systems. Motorcycles with straight pipes should be seized and destroyed, with the owners charged for the disposal and publicly flogged. (Say, 100 lashes, plus ten per decibel over stock.)

grin.gif

I bet my XL1200 was the only Harley in the metropolitan area that had factory pipes. However, I previously had a V-Star 650 with straight pipes (installed by the previous owner). That thing was ridiculously loud, especially at the top speed of about 80 MPH. I'm sure the neighbors hated me in the mornings when I had to let it warm up.

If you heard the stock pipe on my Guzzi you might want it silenced more. Has a pretty nice growl for a factory job with a catalyst inside.

Glad to hear.

An unmolested bike is a true gem now days. I still want to know what everyone does with their stock exhaust when they replace them with the loud junk?

When I was looking for a bike, stock pipes were a must. I asked many that listed an aftermarket exhaust if they had the stock pipes around still, and they all said no (probably 15 different bikes), a few saying they were the original owner.

Yeah, straight pipes are really annoying, esp on a big Harley or Hayabusa, etc. and I'm pretty sure in most cases they actually take power away.

On a Hayabusa, a well designed full exhaust system is good for a peak gain of maybe 10 rwhp. A bit more if the fueling is optimized. Of course much more is possible, with more extensive mods.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Yeah, straight pipes are really annoying, esp on a big Harley or Hayabusa, etc. and I'm pretty sure in most cases they actually take power away.

On a Hayabusa, a well designed full exhaust system is good for a peak gain of maybe 10 rwhp. A bit more if the fueling is optimized. Of course much more is possible, with more extensive mods.

A turbocharger makes a pretty good muffler ... that is, until the wastegate opens.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Japanese designed STD and cruiser bikes are too limp wristed.

I like my "limp wristed" 3-cyl 115 HP, 435 lb wet Yamaha XSR900.

Compared to my 1968 BMW R60 US .......that is one complicated piece of machinery.....I love it!

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: 02SE

A turbocharger makes a pretty good muffler ... that is, until the wastegate opens.
shocked.gif

I've worked on a few Turbocharged Hayabusa's that have held SCTA records. The pictures are on here somewhere.

Motorcycles should be legally required to run only unaltered factory exhaust systems.

Many states do have noise emissions laws, but enforcement is usually the exception rather than the rule.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
An unmolested bike is a true gem now days. I still want to know what everyone does with their stock exhaust when they replace them with the loud junk?

Often they end up on Ebay for not much money. Good thing too, because you'd get sticker shock if you saw how much most OEM exhausts cost brand new.

grin.gif

I bet my XL1200 was the only Harley in the metropolitan area that had factory pipes. However, I previously had a V-Star 650 with straight pipes (installed by the previous owner). That thing was ridiculously loud, especially at the top speed of about 80 MPH. I'm sure the neighbors hated me in the mornings when I had to let it warm up.

You didn't sell that V-Star 650 on Ebay did you? Was it blue, very low miles? Shipped to MN? If so, I was the purchaser- and it had great sounding pipes. Definitely saved my bacon on 2 occasions.

Originally Posted By: 757guy

grin.gif

You didn't sell that V-Star 650 on Ebay did you? Was it blue, very low miles? Shipped to MN? If so, I was the purchaser- and it had great sounding pipes. Definitely saved my bacon on 2 occasions.

No, mine was black, year 2000 Classic, sold locally. It had the straight drag pipes. It sounded good, but it was too loud!
#loudpipessavelives
cool.gif

I lived in an apartment when I first moved to Richmond, VA. There was a guy who lived across in the next building who had a beat up Yamaha 400 with no mufflers that was really annoying when he started it in the morning. I worked evenings and usually slept to around 0900 unless he wasn't working that morning or not raining. Bad times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher

I still want to know what everyone does with their stock exhaust when they replace them with the loud junk?

My bike is not stock, but can be in a matter of minutes - I still have all the stuff I've replaced with other things.

But you gotta have straight pipes on a Harley!
grin.gif

No you don't ... My Sporty has the factory exhaust with some small holes drilled in the center baffle. It helps quite a bit because the stock system is very restrictive. That's why lots of folks went to slash pipes, etc.

BUT, mine is not loud or annoying. If a Cop wants to test it, they can - it'll pass dB test and the rod up the back end to see if the baffle is still there.

I pulled the straight pipes off my bike as soon as I got it and started scrounging OEM mufflers and balance pipes. It was WAY to loud. I don't need to wake the dead. I just need it to run. I see cringe when they see I'm about ready to start it (they've been conditioned by the outlaws), but when I spin it up curbside, they smile and come over to chat
smile.gif

I'm an AMA Life Member (good organization with roadside assistance
smile.gif
), and we regularly have discussions about noise regs. It's THE number ONE complaint about bikes and why they are banned in some towns ... It's up to all of us to try to get that rectified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back