If I could on my Sportster

If this engne could be made on a small scale, it would be great for my Sportster
It is a twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled piston engine with two intakes and two exhaust valves per cylinder, a two-speed two-stage supercharger, twin-choke updraft carburetor with automatic mixture control, dry sump oil system, and seventy percent water and thirty percent ethylene glycol cooling system. It was used in WW2 on the P-51 Mustang.. Wonder whats oils today woud it require,,,

On a serious note, very small, high RPM engines have been used by the Japanese for years. While amazingly cool, the configuration leads to poor thermal efficiency, low torque output and high rpm, high HP operation. Sure, the 2 speed centrifugal supercharger can make up for some mid range torque deficit, but in the end, it probably would not be all that pleasant to live with. For sake of discussion, let's make it 1200cc. That's 100cc per cylinder, which means the engine would be physically huge, and even with attempts at miniaturization it would likely end up near the size of a ford small block V8.

275ad6a17c89987c8eb8d54ccbc37a05.jpg

Cujet the Sprotsster is perfection for what it is. I haven't had a motorcycle for 20 years and I love crotch rocket types since in 1971 I bought a Kawasaki Mach III. [ Still my favorite biker ever and after the MachI II other 600 crotch rockets of various manufactur. But what the Sprotster is,,, is perfection.

The Sportster is perfection as it is.
Eh, they are cool bikes but after owning a silky smooth Honda twin the single crank pin induced vibration on the Sportster is something I can't get over. I haven't been on a newer one though which I hear have better engine mounts.

Cujet the Sportster is perfection for what it is.
I love nearly all motorcycles, and Sportsters are no exception. I guess I was trying to say that the Harley V-Twin has a set of characteristics that work well and that making a 12 cylinder engine of the same displacement would have vastly different characteristics. And would not be as light or efficient.

Back