Midsized Truck Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent Feb and March in south Texas and there is many trucks available for reasonable. Have any dental? Visit with your passport and get good dental cheap at Progresso. I had a root canal, cap and cleaning with several x-rays for $850.I knowof one dealer that deals primarily with trucks at Mission. Couple hundred on the covered lot just off the freeway. I may get a Mustang this fall when I migrate in the fall.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
As others have said, think you should make a trip down south if you want a good truck.

Like this one.

When I see CL ads like that up here I think "scam". Would be wonderful if they were that cheap down there though.

Originally Posted By: supton
As others have said, think you should make a trip down south if you want a good truck.

Like this one.

When I see CL ads like that up here I think "scam". Would be wonderful if they were that cheap down there though.

They are that cheap. Just type "silverado" into any NC Craigslist. That generation Silverado is $1000-3000 all day, every day.

Originally Posted By: supton

Like this one.

I found that posts without any further pictures are out for your email. Not worth the time if they don't want to give better address or more pictures via CL

I own a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder that is the same frame as the Nissan Frontier and live in the rust belt of Western MA and I have little rust under my truck just some minor touch up this year. My last truck was a Tacoma and was a mess with rust after 3 years.

Western Massachusetts is one of the worst areas in the country for rust on cars we are one of only 3 states that puts a particular brine on the roads that is rated as 12 times more corrosive to steel then rock salt! I specify Western MA since according to several car dealers I have talked to cars in WM seem to be much worse on rust then other areas.

Like this one.

I doubt that's real. The pixellisation is a giveaway as is the nondescript location (not at a house).

The premise is good-- I've bought two southern cars-- but you want to find a hamlet where trucks aren't king.

Quote:
Just for kicks, Edmunds True Cost to Own Analysis:
2017 Colorado Crew Cab 3.6L 4x4 Z71 5-year depreciation cost: $ 15,548
2017 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L 4x4 Z71 5-year depreciation cost: $ 19,739

I don't know where they did their analysis, but around here 10 year old trucks for sale haven't dropped that much.

+1 on buying an older vehicle from the South.

I went with a friend to look at some used trucks this weekend. He is looking at Tacomas, Frontiers, and Rangers. The prices of used trucks were incredible, even for 4 cylinder 2WD Tacomas. I was also amazed at how rusty the undersides of them were at 3-4 years old.
shocked.gif

He is looking to replace his 2000 Jeep Cherokee, which has over 200k miles on it. Being an Arizona vehicle originally, it has very little rust, but has hit 3 deer. It seemed a lot of the trucks we were looking at had more rust than his Jeep.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Midsize trucks, lol.

They drive like a full-size, cost the same as a full-size, get the same fuel economy as a full-size but benefit from 50-70% of the performance, capability and resale value.

I don't really agree with this at all.

If anything, a full size drives like a midsize until the road gets narrow. This comes from driving an F150 and a Colorado back to back while my car was in the shop.

The midsized truck is way cheaper when optioned similarly:

2017 Colorado Crew Cab 3.6L 4x4 Z71 - $ 36,775
2017 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L 4x4 Z71 - $ 43,415

The midsized truck gets marginally better gas mileage:

2017 Colorado Crew Cab 3.6L 4x4 Z71 MPG - 17/24
2017 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L 4x4 Z71 MPG - 16/22

Resale value? They're both rapidly depreciating assets.

Just for kicks, Edmunds True Cost to Own Analysis:
2017 Colorado Crew Cab 3.6L 4x4 Z71 5-year depreciation cost: $ 15,548
2017 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L 4x4 Z71 5-year depreciation cost: $ 19,739

Unless you need to tow more than 7,000 pounds, a full-size truck is a waste of money when running the numbers.

I will add that some people (myself included) don't want a full size truck no matter what the Resale, Towing, MPG numbers say. I want a midsize due to parking, and being able to fit in my garage. Not everyone wants or needs a full size truck.

Didn't we just have a thread about certain Colorado/Canyon engines with a very expensive timing chain problem. Check it out before buying.

The pick up truck market sucks these days. Four years ago, I did something similar to Fow Vay above and bought something with known quality control issues because I hated everything else on the market. So far, all is well.

I was in the market recently for a midsizer. Originally thought I wanted a Tacoma, due to a reputation of reliability. Turns out the 2016 and 2017s are problematic. Transmission tuning issues, suspension/brake shuddering, and now recalled rear diffs. On top of that a real peaky V6. I don't think older Tacos had these issues.

Ended up with a Nissan Frontier. Never thought I'd own a Nissan, but there's something to be said for a truck that's been in production since 2005 with only minor improvements/upgrades. The bang-per-buck of the Frontier compared to the others is pretty good also. My Pro-4X model came in less than an almost base Tacoma with V6 and 4x4. Averaging 20mpg in my daily commute with traffic, which I'm happy with so far. Its not super refined, but the biggest comfort complaint I have about it is the back seat position which is pretty upright. Still no one will be sitting back there for any extended period.

How about something like this:

http://www.holmestuttle.com/new/Ford/2017-Ford-F-150-7016a3b30a0e0ae83e1031489c674eee.htm?searchDepth=7:72

I guarantee you, it's a rocket because of the 3:73 gears.

Stuff ain't cheap.
Does it have to be brand new? Could you take a 6month old demonstrator with a couple of thousand miles at discount?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I wanted a mid size 2x4 pickup with a V8, 4 doors and a good cab high camper shell so I bought a 4Runner. I've got a good reliable vehicle with excellent resale value and I've never had to haul anything I could not fit in the back or throw onto my trailer.

We've heard of vehicles rusting out in less than 25 to 30 years but here in Southern California and Arizona we don't believe everything we hear.

I've got a rust spot in the paint on my 84 Civic about the size of a pinhead and I'm really worried. This could lead to two or three such rust spots before the car is even 40 years old. This is terrible. I wonder if it's covered under the warranty?

Yeah. Rub it in, why dontcha?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We've heard of vehicles rusting out in less than 25 to 30 years but here in Southern California and Arizona we don't believe everything we hear.

I keep hearing about how CA has smog, and brutal emission checks, and HOA's, and all sorts of loopy people. But I don't believe everything I hear either.

wink.gif

I just drove my new 2008 Civic from Rochester to Houston. I was amazed by the relative lack of rust on the car after 9 years in upstate NY. Of course, my 2012 F150 that is going up for sale still looks like new while I had to PB blast during the brake job on the Civic. It is all relative.

Good luck finding a truck that fits your needs and price point.

Pickup resale is hugely regional. I have friends across the country, I was shocked at how low they could pick up an 80's 90's Ford pickup with 300 I-6, 302 or 5.0L with only marginal rust. Around here in the NorthEast, people keep pickups on the road despite terrible rust problems, and a running pickup with terrible problems is $3K, inspected but ragged-out it's at least $5K. Madness.

As for mid-size... the Dakota got bigger and bigger, and lost the cool torsion bar front suspension and got taller with the awful strut front suspension... and sales dropped from a reliable 120,000 units per year to 20-25K per year until discontinued. If Detroit only would learn to keep making something the same size, or even a little smaller, or better fuel economy, but no, fuel economy on the last gen Dakota's was almost as bad as the same-engined Rams. Which is another problem, same engine. There was NO engineering going on there.

Full size pickups are a big market with big margins (high consumer costs, high profits for mfgs). Not everyone has the room-sized ego to drop $50-60K on something they use for groceries and commutes. There is room in the market for a good mid-size pickup. Not sure if the Colorado/Canyon is that pickup. We'll have to wait and see who gets it right with the next set of pickup introductions. The rewards are there. First and Second Gen Dakota's sold very well, always over 100K units a year, more then enough to keep them in production, until they screwed the pooch with the last-gen oversized monster that was larger than ealy full-sized pickups.

I really wanted a Commanche but they got discontinued so I got my first Dakota instead. That I-6 is a great engine. The Magnum V-6 needs heads every 100K miles, shoot there are 3 brands of aftermarket heads made for that engine. Always crack between the intake and exhaust valve, valves shift and they start burning oil through the heads big-time. The problem with mid-size pickups is we need a GOOD one.

OK, rant over.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Manufacturers make big profit on trucks fully loaded with buyers wanting the optional 'glitter and glam' packages. Few buyers today want just a basic truck with manual transmission and roll up windows.

Buy a used 5 year old truck that took a big hit with depreciation and has low miles.

A five year old well-optioned full size pickup truck with low miles (Crew-Cab or Extended Cab) will cost you 20 grand.

You seem to want to perpetuate this myth of Cheap, low millage, nice pickup trucks. You may be able to find Dodge RAMS for this-with dubious quality control -that's what brings down their resale value.

Last edited:
There is a serious car loan problem in our country. I messaged someone on Craigslist, told them I had CASH IN HAND, and told them I'd give them private party book value for their car. This amounted to 2k+ over trade-in.

They were literally asking $ 495 less than a new model (this was a 2016) with 11,000 miles and would NOT budge on price. Got the "Good luck" response from them. Stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back