microGreen MG101-7 10,200 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The Ultra is a good choice, yet the MicroGreen probably gets more stuff out.

How would you know that?

Please provide us with the data you have on the MG filters. Thanks!

I can't because there isn't any, unlike for the Fram mentioned in this thread.

oil_film_movies is the one making the claim, why didn't you ask him for data? That seems like the appropriate question.

Before you edited your original post I went to PM and reamed him. Nice guy actually....... lol

You CAN worship at the altar of ISO 4548-12 results if you want to.
Lets realize sometimes we can physically examine and understand how something works as well.
Check the boxes for the MicroGreen:
1. Disc Wafer micro-filter on a parallel path... check
2. Glass fiber and cellulose media ... check
3. Silicone ADBV ... check
4. Appears solidly built ... check
5. Not too expensive ... check
6. Used in many fleets for 8 years ... check

If you choose to only accept 4548-12 exclusive of all other facts, and you don't use common engineering sense (by inspection), then you do need to stick to the Fram Ultra which does have very good 4548-12 results. Either would be a good choice.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I can clearly see the parallel flow path. That is fundamentally sound. Period.

Then you should be able to do the pi*r^2 and figure out that disc of fine filtration media is nowhere near the surface area of the main pleated filter.

Without being prefiltered by the main it likely gets loaded up ASAP. Parallel flow takes the path of LEAST resistance.

On top of that, it's located at the bottom of the can which depending on install will have the disc sweeping up the crud that settles out. So loaded even sooner.

The theory is interesting. The execution notsomuch. Kinda like their cart filters and that lame green sock they put over them.

Now if you have hard data proving otherwise it'll be my goto filter. If it worked worth a [censored] a far larger company would develop a similar technology, skirting whatever patents required.

Before you edited your original post I went to PM and reamed him. Nice guy actually....... lol

Bring it on, what have I said that is inaccurate and would justify being "reamed"?

The spin on filters have had a few revisions since this one.
The bottom filter has now been changed a bit. There are pictures on here. JFYI

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Or don't buy it, because an Ultra costs half as much & filters twice as long?
wink.gif

And filters almost as good - 80% @ 5 microns.

Yeah almost as good- nice one!

For all practical purposes. The difference in efficiency is hair splitting. And besides, MG can't really give any real test data on what their filter's efficiency is as a whole filter assembly. They only give what each part is by itself. If the "micro disk" doesn't flow much or gets clogged easily then it's not really that effective.

An ISO 4548 test would give that data, but apparently MG either didn't do an ISO test on the whole assembly or the test redults were too bad to show the public.

Contact MG and ask for the ISO test results of the filter assembly, not the individual components. If they can't supply the data then ask why. The typical response will be "it's proprietary information" - WIX likes to use that one alot.

Bring it on, what have I said that is inaccurate and would justify being "reamed"?

I reamed him not you..........My post stated that.
Of course I'd rather ream you-lol

I reamed him not you..........My post stated that.
Of course I'd rather ream you-lol

Sorry, I got lost in the references there.

And sure, I'm good for it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Or don't buy it, because an Ultra costs half as much & filters twice as long?
wink.gif

And filters almost as good - 80% @ 5 microns.

Yeah almost as good- nice one!

For all practical purposes. The difference in efficiency is hair splitting. And besides, MG can't really give any real test data on what their filter's efficiency is as a whole filter assembly. The only give what each part is by itself. If the "micro disk" doesn't flow much or gets clogged easily then it's not working.

An ISO 4845 test would give that data, but apparently MG either didn't do an ISO test on the whole assembly or the test redults were too bad to show the public.

Contact MG and ask for the ISO test results om the filter assembly, not the individual components.

Can you please post your correspondence with MG over the years so we know what you know and how your tests differ from theirs?

Another MicroGreen oil filter argument thread! I've seen this movie before.

At least I didn't mention Quantum Blue?????
Sorry, I just did..........

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I just bought 8 of these filters for my Accord. I'm planning on doing 2 OCI's on each one (for a total of 15-18k miles for each filter). I'll post pics when I get the first one off and cut it apart.

But I got mine for $11 each. I think they are decent value.

They can handle that but that is not what they are about. That is why you buy an Ultra or Mobil 1 filter.

I know what these filters are all about.

I'm just not interested in putting 30k miles on some oil, that's all.

I've always ran Napa Platinum's on this Accord and I also go 2 OCI's before I change them out. The reason I bought them is that I believe this filters have no problems handling 15-18k miles, like the Platinum's I've been using. HOWEVER, now I believe I'm getting superior filtration with the microGreen's compared to the Platinum's

Can you please post your correspondence with MG over the years so we know what you know and how your tests differ from theirs?

It's been hashed many times in this forum with members posting email traffic between them and MG. You should contact them yourself and get the responses directly from MG so there is no hearsay.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

HOWEVER, now I believe I'm getting superior filtration with the microGreen's compared to the Platinum's

Pretty much any filter out there gives better filtering efficiency than the XP/Platinum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Then you should be able to do the pi*r^2 and figure out that disc of fine filtration media is nowhere near the surface area of the main pleated filter.
It doesn't need to have the same area as the main media to work. Multipass.

Without being prefiltered by the main it likely gets loaded up ASAP.
I like your thinking on possibly improving the design by having the disc-wafer oil pre-filtered first. That could help concerns about premature clogging of the disc-wafer chocolate thingie. Maby they found it didn't make much difference, since the bigger particles never enter on the disc-wafer but just lay across the top. ... I might have chosen, like many, to put a depth-filtering gauze cartridge in a plastic container, inserted into the inside void, getting some of the oil flow only AFTER it got filtered by the main media.

Parallel flow takes the path of LEAST resistance.
Not true. Both paths are taken, just in different proportions. The disc-wafer gets around 1% or so of the fluid flow according to the patents filed. Of course, an oil filter is multipass, so 1% is OK.[/quote]

It's been hashed many times in this forum with members posting email traffic between them and MG. You should contact them yourself and get the responses directly from MG so there is no hearsay.

I emailed them about a year ago during the last argument discussion and never got a response. I just sent them another request and maybe they will answer this time.

At least they deleted the up to 5% fuel economy increase claim from their website, that would be one more topic of contention.

I emailed them about a year ago during the last argument discussion and never got a response. I just sent them another request and maybe they will answer this time.

At least they deleted the up to 5% fuel economy increase claim from their website, that would be one more topic of contention.

The mileage claim is interesting one, Ive seen companies go back and forth on this.
I would leave it out if I were them as well.

I think Penzoil still claims a similar % gain from "dirty oil" whatever that may be.
I image oil would have to be liquid sandpaper to get to that state.

They seem to be a little less open that they were a while ago- I can't order off their site anymore and was forced to amazon - not the pend of the world but not a feel good sign.

I hope they reply to you.

UD

Another MicroGreen oil filter argument thread! I've seen this movie before.
Yes and this sequel like the original certainly will not win or be nominated for any academy awards.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I have trouble believing the MicroGreen rhetoric when they are not forthcoming with test results and answers to BITOG member questions.

I like the idea of a bypass filter setup. This implementation does not seem proven by the body of evidence.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
I have trouble believing the MicroGreen rhetoric when they are not forthcoming with test results and answers to BITOG member questions. I like the idea of a bypass filter setup. This implementation does not seem proven by the body of evidence.

What might convince people is some particle count oil analysis documents from dozens of fleet contracts MicroGreen has secured.
From some articles I've read, part of the deal to use the oil filters on large-ish fleets was that MicroGreen paid for an independant lab to sample and look at particle counts (many vehicles).
Fleet managers saw these results. If fleet managers have been fleeing the MicroGreen plan/products, then I'd say MicroGreen has failed, being only a fleeting presence in fleets.
I can't find any full or partial accounting of fleet contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back