Michelin tires wore out rapidly - update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Camber does not wear out tires, toe does.

I have seen negative camber on my 530i result in inside tread wear faster than outside tread on rear tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Why would a tire shop pro-rate the tires for treadwear when the premature wear-out is caused by a mechanical issue?

Because the original installer should have caught it and that shouldn't be the customer's fault. In the end whether Sears or DT initiates the claim the entity that pays the claim will still be the same. Plus the customer will be satisfied if it works out.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
I doubt sears would warranty them and probably say it's a lack of maintenance.

In the previous thread you wrote:
Quote:
I can get them replaced under warranty for about 55% off

Was this just wishful thinking?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Camber does not wear out tires, toe does.

I have seen negative camber on my 530i result in inside tread wear faster than outside tread on rear tires.

When the camber is negative, you are rolling on the inside edge. If the toe is off, you are literally dragging the tire sideways down the road. When you combine camber with out of spec toe, it really increases the wear.

Quote:
Only 1/8 inch of toe misalignment produces scrub equivalent to dragging the tire sideways 28 feet for every mile that’s traveled.

I run -3.0 on the rear of my 1er and see perfectly even wear.

Last edited:

Well I assume you're using the outside edge of tire vigorously fairly often to balance wear out...
What toe do you run on the rear though? near zero?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Well I assume you're using the outside edge of tire vigorously fairly often to balance wear out...
What toe do you run on the rear though? near zero?

I run a little less toe in that my car calls for. I am actually using the specs for a 1M, which is about half the total toe in the rear. I have changed all my suspension arms to the 1M/M3 version, and run the same tire width as the 1M. In the front I run -2.4 camber and exactly zero toe.

Yes, the 1er sees some agressive driving, but I don't take it on the track anymore. I use the Civic for lapping fun. Even the Civic has significantly greater camber than stock, and sees even tire wear.

The way I think of tire wear, is think of an eraser on the end of a pencil. If you roll the pencil along a piece of paper on it's edge, how fast does it wear out? That is camber. If you drag the eraser along a piece of paper, that is toe.

Edit: Just checked my alignment notes.
Stock spec for the 135i is 0.10 - 0.20 deg toe in.
The 1M spec is 0.02 - 0.15 deg.
I am running 0.04 deg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: llmercll
I'm continuing from this thread here...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...idl#Post4643547

I dont get why you wouldnt just continue in the same topic.. its the same topic. Fragmenting it into multiple threads is annoying
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Why would a tire shop pro-rate the tires for treadwear when the premature wear-out is caused by a mechanical issue?

Because the original installer should have caught it and that shouldn't be the customer's fault. In the end whether Sears or DT initiates the claim the entity that pays the claim will still be the same. Plus the customer will be satisfied if it works out.

The tires were on the car for 40k miles - that is a long time. Suspension parts could have worn out, the driver could have had an impact resulting in an alignment issue, etc. I suppose if the OP was a very frequent (and profitable) customer, the shop may assist with the cost of the tires...but the tire mfg will likely ask for the tires back and with that level of abnormal tire wear, the dealer won't be getting paid for those tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back