Michelin LTX M/S2 - dry rot severity

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is hilarious . The OP has tires that are dry rot-and as far as I know no one is a tire expert on the thread-and the Michelin apologists are out in force, but hey don't worry about the tires-run them another 40,000 miles.

Maybe we can get capriracer to chime in-at least he knows what he's talking about.

I would really like to know if they are good for another 40,000 miles-which of course would in excess of three years for the average driver. LOL!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
...... Maybe we can get capriracer to chime in-at least he knows what he's talking about. ....

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

........I would really like to know if they are good for another 40,000 miles-which of course would in excess of three years for the average driver. LOL!

So we have a set of tires that have weather cracking at 50K miles (80K km) that were put on about 5 years ago. That's about (and I'll use English units from here on out) 10K miles per year. I'm estimating from the photos that the tires have 4/32nds left and they started with - best guess - 12/32nds, so they have use 8/32, so that's about 6K per 32nd - and 2 are left = 12K more: So, No!, there isn't another 40K in those tires.

But the OP asked if there is another year or year and a half left - and the numbers say probably!

But what about the cracking? (I really, really don't like the term *dry rot* when it applies to tires!)

Considering that Michelin uses a relatively hard tread compound - and hard tread compounds are prone to cracking - and we are using the cracking to judge if the rubber compounds inside the tire have deteriorated to the point where the tire needs to be removed - I think the tires are close to needing removal, but not quite yet - and considering the vehicle is in Canada and we are pretty close to entering the cool weather - maybe they could last another year - and certainly through the winter.

But I would suggest keeping an eye on them. If the cracking ever appears on the face of the tread (the part that touches the ground, as opposed to the sides and grooves), then remove them right away.

And for those who are trying to follow my logic so they can apply it to their tires - I am taking into consideration the peculiar nature of Michelin tires. If other brands had this level of cracking I would advise that they be replaced fairly soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
...... Maybe we can get capriracer to chime in-at least he knows what he's talking about. ....

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

........I would really like to know if they are good for another 40,000 miles-which of course would in excess of three years for the average driver. LOL!

So we have a set of tires that have weather cracking at 50K miles (80K km) that were put on about 5 years ago. That's about (and I'll use English units from here on out) 10K miles per year. I'm estimating from the photos that the tires have 4/32nds left and they started with - best guess - 12/32nds, so they have use 8/32, so that's about 6K per 32nd - and 2 are left = 12K more: So, No!, there isn't another 40K in those tires.

But the OP asked if there is another year or year and a half left - and the numbers say probably!

But what about the cracking? (I really, really don't like the term *dry rot* when it applies to tires!)

Considering that Michelin uses a relatively hard tread compound - and hard tread compounds are prone to cracking - and we are using the cracking to judge if the rubber compounds inside the tire have deteriorated to the point where the tire needs to be removed - I think the tires are close to needing removal, but not quite yet - and considering the vehicle is in Canada and we are pretty close to entering the cool weather - maybe they could last another year - and certainly through the winter.

But I would suggest keeping an eye on them. If the cracking ever appears on the face of the tread (the part that touches the ground, as opposed to the sides and grooves), then remove them right away.

And for those who are trying to follow my logic so they can apply it to their tires - I am taking into consideration the peculiar nature of Michelin tires. If other brands had this level of cracking I would advise that they be replaced fairly soon.

Thanks for you response. It's appreciated!

I don't run Michelin - so I'm not apologizing- I used to - but this cracking is not new stuff ...
Harder compound? That's not news either - but folks like my BIL expect 80k from them.
He will net that in 3 years - I'd be more than twice that ...
The other issue is they will chip (chunk) on the gravel roads I run. Same reason ... Michelin is not magic - they get the miles the "hard" way ...
This is the same with many of the industrial elastomers we use at work - no free lunch - trade offs ...
I like to buy about a four year tire ... pay less, run less, get new stuff that grips in the rain ...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
So what's the problem? you have nearly 5 years and 50,000 miles on them. It sounds like you had good service from them, and will likely replace them in the not too distant future. At that time and mileage, I've seen similar deterioration from all brands of tires.

Exactly. Just as the so called "apologists" are quick to defend them so are the "antimich" who attack them every time they are mentioned.

I just sold a set of four that are not as pretty as the OP's for 40 bucks each to a guy that was tickled to death with them.

We run nothing else here and get excellent service, unbeatable wear, and traction that seems to never wear down like other brands...

So much for that 70k warranty, eh? Apparently with Michelin ya gotta run 'em bald before the 3 or 4 year mark. Otherwise they like this.

FWIW, if you chose to warranty them, they get shipped back to Michelin, and it can take a couple of months to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back