Michelin CrossClimate2 Tires

Michelin tried this in America with the LTX Premier or something a few years back. Said they'd last a long time even with lower initial tread. It went over poorly.
I had them. That version. Problem really was that it was SUV tire.
EU drivers on average make 6,000 miles a year. There is probably calculation that benefits of 8/32 outweigh other benefits of deeper thread.

Reactions: Ws6
I had them. That version. Problem really was that it was SUV tire.
EU drivers on average make 6,000 miles a year. There is probably calculation that benefits of 8/32 outweigh other benefits of deeper thread.
6000 a year? Do they drive like once a week or never more than 10 minutes?

I don't know why my results do not align, but acceleration has been extremely consistent for both tires across broad temp and charge parameters on the same road section dry and wet. The braking a bit less so, but usually within 2-4ft. There is no way there is a near 30ft error or discrepancy related to environmentals in this case, based on all the tests I've done.
I worked for NATO when some British colonel with oversized ego, part of engineering unit, wanted to convince local engineers that type of asphalt used in England is far superior to one locals used. Locals argued that English asphalt is not good for climate in that area. After paving road, within month, two people died in rain bcs. asphalt was too slick. They had to groove the asphalt to create friction.

CC2 might react differently for those conditions. But that is just possibility.

I worked for NATO when some British colonel with oversized ego, part of engineering unit, wanted to convince local engineers that type of asphalt used in England is far superior to one locals used. Locals argued that English asphalt is not good for climate in that area. After paving road, within month, two people died in rain bcs. asphalt was too slick. They had to groove the asphalt to create friction.

CC2 might react differently for those conditions. But that is just possibility.
I tested the tires on the same surfaces. Concrete and asphalt for acceleration, aslphalt for wet braking. Same stretches of road.

Also yes, roads vary. San Antonio in the summer is so slick I accidentally 4 wheel drifted my cx5 in 2nd or 3rd gear around a corner. Insanely slick. I could roll onto the throttle in 3rd gear in my ws.6 6-speed at about 30mph and get sideways. Just crazy slick.

I tested the tires on the same surfaces. Concrete and asphalt for acceleration, aslphalt for wet braking. Same stretches of road.

Also yes, roads vary. San Antonio in the summer is so slick I accidentally 4 wheel drifted my cx5 in 2nd or 3rd gear around a corner. Insanely slick. I could roll onto the throttle in 3rd gear in my ws.6 6-speed at about 30mph and get sideways. Just crazy slick.
My point is that CC2 might react differently to wet conditions on that particular stretch of the asphalt due to different compounds between tires.
Any test, whether that is ADAC, Tire Rack, Tyre Reviews, or TUV, is just oriented to what to expect.
But, you live in San Antonio? WHy CC2 there?

My point is that CC2 might react differently to wet conditions on that particular stretch of the asphalt due to different compounds between tires.
Any test, whether that is ADAC, Tire Rack, Tyre Reviews, or TUV, is just oriented to what to expect.
But, you live in San Antonio? WHy CC2 there?
I dont, I was just sharing the most glaring disparity in clean, dry pavement Ive ever observed. That said, CC2 does great there. It rains a fair bit, and they get some snowy slush every couple of years that cripples anyone not on decent tires. Id probably still use them due to how well they're wearing on my GT, though. By 5k miles on myb
PSAS4s they were down to 7/32. My cc2 is still 9/32. The performance disparity is very minimal for that disparity in wear.

I dont, I was just sharing the most glaring disparity in clean, dry pavement Ive ever observed. That said, CC2 does great there. It rains a fair bit, and they get some snowy slush every couple of years that cripples anyone not on decent tires. Id probably still use them due to how well they're wearing on my GT, though. By 5k miles on myb
PSAS4s they were down to 7/32. My cc2 is still 9/32. The performance disparity is very minimal for that disparity in wear.
Wait, was PS4AS OE tire on your car?

What's the difference between NA and EU CC2s? I understand the EU spec has less tread and less rolling resistance, but what does that mean for performance differences?

No matter what we agree or disagree on, any meters or other testing, we are all sharing the roads with these people that will loose control and hopefully only take themselves out. Hopefully our own choices will allow us to have some semblance of grip to avoid them.

This was the best tire as it still has some tread on the inner half. The other 3 were like the outer edge fully across, past wear bars. This was on an Audi Q3 parked next to me today.
IMG_5975.jpg

Michelin tried this in America with the LTX Premier or something a few years back. Said they'd last a long time even with lower initial tread. It went over poorly.
My son had the Michelin Premier (not LTX) on his Forte. We bought spare summer rims and they came with the Premiers on them with about 6/32”. He got 4 years of 3 season and about 35k worth of use from them. Knowing they were down to 3-4/32” I was trying hitting puddles, pushing wet corners where safe, playing accordingly and they didn’t hydroplane on us. I was actually quite shocked.

I replaced them already for springtime taking advantage of the November Continental rebate of $220 off a set of 4. He’ll be on TrueContact Tour’s in the next few weeks when I swap over from winters.

My son had the Michelin Premier (not LTX) on his Forte. We bought spare summer rims and they came with the Premiers on them with about 6/32”. He got 4 years of 3 season and about 35k worth of use from them. Knowing they were down to 3-4/32” I was trying hitting puddles, pushing wet corners where safe, playing accordingly and they didn’t hydroplane on us. I was actually quite shocked.

I replaced them already for springtime taking advantage of the November Continental rebate of $220 off a set of 4. He’ll be on TrueContact Tour’s in the next few weeks when I swap over from winters.
Michelin tries for full life performance, as such, their higher end tires have evolving tread patterns that open up as depth decreases to allow for efficient water evacuation given wear.

What's the difference between NA and EU CC2s? I understand the EU spec has less tread and less rolling resistance, but what does that mean for performance differences?
Im not sure as I am unaware of a head to head test. Id love to see one. Its of super limited value though, as EU customers will buy EU tires and NA customers get NA tires, so...

There is more emphasis on wet and dry performance. On many markets in Europe people are conditioned to buy snow tires. The level of education of average driver is far higher than here. This is aimed at countries like UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany (not Alpine part) Luxemburg. People in Austria, Switzerland, some Balkan countries, Nordic countries, Poland etc will go for real snow tires.

Well maybe I won't be getting the Cross Climate again. I bought them at Costco. But they don't show them anymore. I might be getting something else. They do carry the Bridgestone Weatherpeaks.

I'll be trying to find something to replace the CCs in the next year. The tires have between 4-5 32nds right now with about 45K miles on them. So I'm not real hot to replace them. But I don't like to run down too much on tread.

Well maybe I won't be getting the Cross Climate again. I bought them at Costco. But they don't show them anymore. I might be getting something else. They do carry the Bridgestone Weatherpeaks.

I'll be trying to find something to replace the CCs in the next year. The tires have between 4-5 32nds right now with about 45K miles on them. So I'm not real hot to replace them. But I don't like to run down too much on tread.
They still show them on the website for a 2014 CRV and 2018 Subaru Legacy Sport.

Yes I bought them before. But I have a 195/65/15 size that is probably not popular enough anymore? I bought them in 2020 I believe?
Interesting... I wonder if you can go in and have them order? Have you looked at available sizes on the Michelin site?

Back