Mevotech vs. MOOG

Originally Posted by Trav
Start with lower QC, holes for cotter pins drilled off center, using pressed on non sealed boots that get damaged from installation and go right through QC.
Finish on the castings are inconsistent some are smooth some have flashing and rough, no matter toss it in a box and sell it.
Odd size zerk fittings that are not suited to the installation eg straight fittings where a 90 is must if you ever want a grease it because the frame rail is blocking access.
You are not buying these at AA or AZ, they are a fine thread and the only place I could get them was Fastenal and special order at that.
These parts were sealed OE but Moog sells a HD version with a unusable zerk fitting included. Back to the boots, these things suck big time, they use a captured metal ring molded in the rubber that is pressed on at the factory, the problem is many are cut, not all the way through mind you but this is where they blow out when greasing after a while.
If you are unlucky enough to get one not pressed properly you have a real problem, it no simple push on. These have to be the worst boots ever used.
I could go on and on but why bother, leave that crap on the shelf.

I'll add one more to your list. A couple of months ago, I saw the instructions/maintenance sheet that came with a Moog tie rod. It said on the sheet that the tie rod needed to be greased every 3,000-5,000 miles.
Seriously, grease it twice every oil change?
lol.gif
This application (a Lincoln Navigator) also had a stamped tin over the tie rod that wouldn't allow the zerk to be greased when installed. I realize some part numbers get used on multiple applications, but it wouldn't have hurt their bottom line if they had included a 90° zerk along with the straight zerk that came with it.

Canadian user here . I'm really sorry to hear about how Moog has deteriorated in quality. 2011 Ranger two wheel drive four cylinder driven only on pavement, not even 10,000 km not even a year and a half and MervoTech Supreme upper control arms failed. The rubber seals around the ball joints are broken and one ball joint is already loose.
-- I walked in like a virgin to Piston Ring Auto Parts and bought whatever they sold me. Now they're telling me that this premature wear is NORMAL.
-- yes yes it may be lifetime warranty but there's lots of Labor involved plus the cost of another wheel alignment.
-- it's cheap Chinese fake parts.
-- I went to Napa Auto Parts and they laughed at me when I asked for non-chinese-made parts. He said you want to pay four times the amount? It was a big joke to them. Ha ha stupid customer...!

I had to order sway bar links again for my daughters Elantra after the Mevotech 'Supremes' started 'clunking' after less than 50K.
I ordered MOOG Problem Solvers this time and they are noticeably heavier/stronger than the similarly priced Mevotechs…. As an added bonus...the MOOG's
are Made in Mexico...the Mevotech's are Made in China. Needless to say....No more Mevotech anything for me...
No, Mevotech is not made in China. The company was founded in Canada in 1982 and continues to manufacture their products in North America, primarily in Canada and the United States.

I can’t speak personally about what’s on the box, but I do believe Mevotech has a continuous improvement program and has some pride. Some of the comments on this thread are now four years old, may have been based on experience from years earlier and I’m not convinced the info was necessarily accurate in which of the three levels of products they were based on. Flame suit on.

F6B868BA-5841-402D-B9D3-5590FD5772FE.jpg
E893B70B-BD56-4C5E-B66C-39B436DAA3EE.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought all suspension arms for my 2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk. I’ll update here some day after I get it installed and some miles logged.

I got Mevotech supreme front lower control arms, rear lower control arms, rear trailing link arms, rear camber arms, rear toe link arms.

I thought I’d price out a lower ball joint for a 2008 3/4 ton Chevy using Mevotech and AC Delco listed by Rock Auto. Prices are toggled to CDN dollars, so multiply by 0.7 for US dollars.

In the Economy section there is a Mevotech for $17.71

In the Daily Driver section there is a Mevotech Supreme for $36.13

In the Daily Driver section there is also a GM Genuine for $90.07

In the Premium section there is the Mevotech TTX for $45.84.

I don’t think any Bittogger would purchase that $17.71 ball joint, would they? And if so, what kind of service would one expect from it? So if someone says the bottom line Mevotech doesn’t last long, I guess one can believe that.

Moving on to the Supreme doubles the price, and I suppose one might think the quality would be much better. Also, it’s still less than 1/2 the price of the an GM Genuine. For many, it would be a no brainer to buy the GM Genuine but others would consider it “over priced” To each his own. Finally there is the TTX which is Mevotech’s Premium Line. Perhaps that one is the answer since it’s still half the price of the GM ball joint.

I’m sure some would just get the OE and call it a day and others would not like the price, since the part might be just one of many components. It all adds up!

Last edited:
Back