Mechanics post your top brands for Rack and Pinion

I know there are probably a few mechanics on this board who have a lot of experience with replacements.. . I need to have a rack replaced on an old Honda and it seems everywhere I look the remans are just random luck. ..

All the typical AZ, Advanced, Oreilly, Cardone, Detroit etc.. are a real gamble.. There is always a guy that says they had no problem and then always a guy that says it was leaking after several months etc.... Some forums mention they think most of these are just cleaned up used units without every seal being replaced and the "reman" mfg's just gamble on them because replacing returns is cheaper than doing the actual reman work.. I don't know if there is any merit to this is but I have read that opinion many times, and if this is total bs then how could there be so many people with remans leaking quickly ?

Junkyard option seems more of a gamble with an old unit and the OE is discontinued but are there any other options out there ?

All the typical AZ, Advanced, Oreilly, Cardone, Detroit etc.. are a real gamble.. There is always a guy that says they had no problem and then always a guy that says it was leaking after several months etc.... Some forums mention they think most of these are just cleaned up used units without every seal being replaced and the "reman" mfg's just gamble on them because replacing returns is cheaper than doing the actual reman work.. I don't know if there is any merit to this is but I have read that opinion many times, and if this is total bs then how could there be so many people with remans leaking quickly ?
I don't think they just paint them and resell them. The problem is reused parts that are already worn.

not much teardown involved to change the seals
That could be true. I replaced a leaky seal with a seal kit called for in a Toyota TSB. Rack stayed on the van, used long pliers as a spanner and compressed air to pop the affected seal out. Rest was cleaning, reinstall and using the pliers to install the locking wire.

Rackdoctor. Google it. I have one in the Trans Am and have used them in a few different cars. To include a Honda, Toyota, Mazda, My 04 Grand Prix and my old 98 Buick. The are a quality piece.

I see the other post maybe they are out of business. The really made good stuff in my experience.

Back