MDX wrecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
6-7 year old car, replacement wheels and a tire, possibly a door panel, and who knows what else is behind the crushed doors.

I'd say it's a 50-50 chance of being totaled.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Two new doors, rear quarter panel work, some pillar work and people saying totaled?

Having worked in auto insurance, it really depends on the damage you cannot see. From the pics, I'd say about 50/50. A lot of times it depends on the insurance company and shop estimate. If the hit was hard enough and the unibody is tweaked in any way, that thing is totaled.

I remember getting claims with cars that were rear-ended, and just the bumper cover looked damaged. Upon further inspection by the shop there was lots of other damage and the car would be totaled.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I agree with the above.

My wife turned my 09 F150 SuperCrew too sharp in the lot and hit a mushroom shaped steel bollard. She heard the noise and stepped on the gas..... It TORE open the entire side of the truck, wheel to wheel, ugh.

Anyway, I had it repaired and the Ford dealership used all new Ford parts, including a big panel to repair the side of the cab. Repair came out looking great. But a few years down the road, the doors don't close correctly, the door seals fall off as they reused them and they clips were weakened. Etc. The repair still looks great. The functionality is obviously not the same. As the re-installed plastic trim, the seals and the fit all need attention. At this point, nobody will cover it. Plus the vehicle is worth a whole bunch less!

That is due to laziness and incompetence, plain and simple. If repaired correctly, it will be perfect. My Caddy has had major body repairs-I was punted into a K-rail at 60MPH, and the car was bashed from the center of the front bumper to the left rear corner. Two parts cars later, the doors close tightly, all the panels line up (better now than when it left Clark Street), the alignment is dead-on, tires wear evenly. The only clue the car was wrecked that badly is that my 1979 has a 1978 grille. (The entire front clip is from a rear-ended 1978 Sedan de Ville.)

You could probably fix most of it yourself, simply by replacing the door seal clips and trim adhesive, and adjusting the door strikers.

I assume that is with new parts? If you like the car and plan to drive until the wheels fall off, what is the buyback value? And what would a pair of doors, a wheel, and whatever rear suspension parts it needs run at a salvage yard?

$6300+ for parts
$6900+ for labor
There was more damage than thought.

Last edited:
Lien.
smile.gif

Hopefully after the loan is paid off there will be a nice sum of money left over that the insurance company sends to you.

Sorry for your misfortune, glad everyone ok. Save the VIN number so you can google it later on. 3-4 years ago when son's 2010 Infiniti G37S got totaled out after being rear ended, he found it on the internet for sale after being repaired, salvage title. Other than Infiniti lettering missing across trunk looked real good in the pics.

Then again, maybe you want to forget about it. If so, that's ok too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back