mazda cx-5 owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Sound like its not a bad choice from what everyone here says. We liked it better than the rav4, and the kia sportage.

What really got my attention during the test drive was how the transmission performed. It is the first auto transmission I’ve owned that knows which gear to be in. I don’t have to “encourage” the transmission to shift down when going around a corner for example. It does act like a manual in that the torque converter is locked 95% of the time.

Pulled the trigger today on the cx-5. Now i have to decide what oil to run. The manual is a bit funny. For USA and Canada use 0-20. For Mexico use 5w30, if its not available use 5w20.

I don't like the idea of a 0w20 with a direct injection engine, but seems i have to for warranty. I would like to use mobil 0w 30 but that will void the warranty.

I'm just glad its a spin on filter. Any thoughts on the mazda filter vs an ultra?

Pulled the trigger today on the cx-5. Now i have to decide what oil to run. The manual is a bit funny. For USA and Canada use 0-20. For Mexico use 5w30, if its not available use 5w20.

I don't like the idea of a 0w20 with a direct injection engine, but seems i have to for warranty. I would like to use mobil 0w 30 but that will void the warranty.

I'm just glad its a spin on filter. Any thoughts on the mazda filter vs an ultra?

While it is under warranty, only use the 0W-20 and the Mazda oil filters.

BC.

What do you guys think of the mazda/Idemitsu 0w20 gf-5 oil with moly? Apparently it was originally intended for skyactiv engines.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the mazda/Idemitsu 0w20 gf-5 oil with moly? Apparently it was originally intended for skyactiv engines.

It’s good oil but not necessary for long life. You can run any major brand of 0w-20 and have no worries. The dealership probably uses Castrol. Pick your favorite brand and run. The OEM filters are the best bet in this case as well.

I've been using the Mazda Moly 0w-20 and Mazda filter since I purchased the car. You can get filter and oil through Med Center Mazda (orders over $100 ship free). That is about the cheapest I have found.

The high moly Mazda oil keeps LSPI at bay although I understand the formulation of Dexos2 helps with LSPI as well.

Congrats on your new Mazda CX-5. When choosing oil just go with the new dexos gen 2 products. Even without the turbo I like running these oils. The Mazda engines have been shown to exhibit less fuel dilution than other GDI engines in general.

Get that vehicle out on a nice twisty road. These Mazdas like to run.

Congrats on the new CX-5. I think the "worst" things about the CX-5 were probably immediately apparent on your first test drive. In typical Mazda fashion, there is some cabin noise, and the ride is firm. That's about it. They are definitely reliable, efficient, and enjoyable to drive.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

While it is under warranty, only use the 0W-20 and the Mazda oil filters.

BC.

I agree it is good practice to follow the manual for oil grades, and use the OEM filter, just to keep things simple for any warranty issues. Switching to 5W-30 might be a good idea once the engine has enough miles and the warranty is up.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

I've been using the Mazda Moly 0w-20 and Mazda filter since I purchased the car. You can get filter and oil through Med Center Mazda (orders over $100 ship free). That is about the cheapest I have found.

The high moly Mazda oil keeps LSPI at bay although I understand the formulation of Dexos2 helps with LSPI as well.

I should have posted dexos1 Gen2 (not Dexos2).

What will the 0w-40 do besides helping with 20wt jitters? I have read that the engine was designed right from the beginning to use 20wt oil. If you use M1, their AFE is a great product.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
What will the 0w-40 do besides helping with 20wt jitters? I have read that the engine was designed right from the beginning to use 20wt oil. If you use M1, their AFE is a great product.

I've never been that excited about 20wt oils. I do find it interesting that the Mexico instructions say to use 5w 30 and if you don't have that use 5w 20, no cafe there. Otherwise would it not say use 0w20 or 5w 20 and if that's not available use 5w 30?

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I've never been that excited about 20wt oils. I do find it interesting that the Mexico instructions say to use 5w 30 and if you don't have that use 5w 20, no cafe there. Otherwise would it not say use 0w20 or 5w 20 and if that's not available use 5w 30?

I do understand. CAFE drives the push towards running 0w-20 oils. Just my opinion but I think the 20wt oils of today are relatively stout. They have to be otherwise there would be a lot of stories about lubrication issues and engine problems. Tig1 is the classic example here with his M1 and 10k oil change intervals. But it’s your vehicle and running a 30wt won’t harm anything. Shannow could verify this but I think 30wt is the recommended oil in Australia and the CX5 is the top selling crossover down under.

I went to the dealer today to order stone guards for it. They do stock the mazda 0w 20 with moly oil. It's supposed to be designed for the skyativ engines.

I will probably run that. I will run the factory fill to 500 miles then change the oil with the mazda oil.

Thanks for you feedback.

I went to the dealer today to order stone guards for it. They do stock the mazda 0w 20 with moly oil. It's supposed to be designed for the skyativ engines.

I will probably run that. I will run the factory fill to 500 miles then change the oil with the mazda oil.

Thanks for you feedback.

Anytime. The Mazda oil is a great choice. Enjoy your CX5.

My father loves his Grand Touring CX-5. He likes it much better than the Mercedes GLK-350 he was leasing.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Awesome vehicles for the money.

I'd choose CX-5 over everything else in its class / category.
Yes, best in class when I bought a 2014 in spring of 2013. Not one single fault!

Not cylinder deactivation, you probably mean auto. stop/start. Cylinder deactivation is used on 6 and 8 cylinder engines only as far as I know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yugrus
What year are you looking at?
See if you like the entertainment unit and the level of heat in the seats.

We have '15 GT, replaced cracked windshield that came out of nowhere. The car was stationery... '17+ is next generation, the windshield is thicker and different.

Otherwise, no complaints, knock on wood. Great AWD, if you need it. Our transmission has been very good so far, but some owners report it busted.

'18 will come with cylinder de-activation, a no-no in my books, but nevertheless.

Not cylinder deactivation, you probably mean auto. stop/start. Cylinder deactivation is used on 6 and 8 cylinder engines only as far as I know.

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad

They are talking about cyl deactivation. Here is a video about it for the 2018 mazda 6. The skyativ engine 2.5g is the one thats also in the cx-5.

I did not want to get a new year engine. I don't want stop start either. I drove a rental car with that, and its annoying.

Cyl deactivation on a 4cyl will be interesting, i don't want to own the first year models of this. Thats why we went ahead with the 2017 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back