Mazda CX-3 Road Test :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
The Mazda CX3 Owners Manual says about break-in (among other things): "Avoid full-throttle starts". Especially given you're not evidently a serious buyer it was nice of you to perhaps compromise the car for its eventual owner with your WOT antics. Or maybe you confirmed this example was past the break-in period?

You should go to the factory parking lot or the loading dock or the dealer's lot sometimes, you will see how these cars are driven by the jockeys. You probably would get a heart attack.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The CX-3 doors close with a positive thunk(HR-V feels kind'a tinny) and the steering wheel is niiiiice and THICK! I was able to get a comfortable driving position without much fuss and this isn't something I could say about many of the mid size family sedans that I test drove in Mar-Apr(prior to buying my Altima).

I like a thick leather cover steering wheel. The only negative about my 2004 S2000 is it has fairly thin steering wheel.

I'm looking to buy a real leather cover steering wheel to install in my car. But I am sure that any add on will not be as nice as OE wheel.

Nice report, I think CX-3 is better than HR-V. The only thing is Mazda doesn't many dealers therefore their sale volume isn't as high as Honda and Toyota. Also, many consumers just go to Honda and Toyota dealers to buy what they have without doing market research and/or test drive.

As of late, Mazda has most sedans(6, 5, and 3) better than other Japanese markers.

A low spec Honda CRV is cheaper, bigger and a better value. Not to mention a mazda3 hatch.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Is that $25.5k MSRP or OTD for the Touring w/ AWD?

Have you test-driven the Subaru Crosstrek for comparison? Not quite the same features, but similar demographic, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes AWD, as stated in the first line of my post!
smile.gif

No, I have not driven a Subie Xtrek!

I didn't ask if it was AWD; I asked if $25.5 was the MSRP or OTD price for that specific model?

Nice report Char Baby. If I can bring myself to buy a new car, I am almost positive it will be a Mazda. They seem to have a soul, if I may say so, with steering feedback, responsive handling, good shock tuning and decent ride. Real gears in the transmissions, (I dislike all CVT that I have driven) Maybe it is because I like driving my Miata so much. So two questions,how was the steering feedback, and did you like the 6-speed auto trans shifting response? Any details would be appreciated.

Have you test-driven the Subaru Crosstrek for comparison? Not quite the same features, but similar demographic, if I'm not mistaken.

smile.gif

I didn't ask if it was AWD; I asked if $25.5 was the MSRP or OTD price for that specific model?

Yes it's MSRP! $25,500 was for the mid level "Touring".
smile.gif

$27,*** & $29,*** w/pkg was the MSRP/Sticker for the "Grand Touring" trim level! IDK what the MSRP is on the standard "SPORT" trim level. I'd have to visit the Mazda website!

Right now, they're not dealing much(if at all) on the sticker price and the sales rep and I didn't quite get into the price. Of course, it would depend on trade in, repeat customer/customer loyalty(if you own another Mazda) etc.

The two Mazda dealers that I visited both had ~1/2 dozen CX-3's on their lots. And all were "Touring" & "Grand Touring" models!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: I_4
Nice report Char Baby. If I can bring myself to buy a new car, I am almost positive it will be a Mazda. They seem to have a soul, if I may say so, with steering feedback, responsive handling, good shock tuning and decent ride. Real gears in the transmissions, (I dislike all CVT that I have driven) Maybe it is because I like driving my Miata so much. So two questions,how was the steering feedback, and did you like the 6-speed auto trans shifting response? Any details would be appreciated.

In my ~30 min drive, the steering was among the best that I've driven(shared with other mazda's) in the > 20 test drives since March this year! I am sure that there are others that do as well, I've read, such as the Ford Fusion and many BMW's(not tested).

The CX-3 has a very nicely firm steering feel but, not overly so considering it's a electric P/S system! Honda's aren't bad but, this is better!
smile.gif

The steering also has very nice steering return to center and just feel right in the hands. Steering response during my "quick drive", is what I like in a vehicle. Longer test drive or actual ownership may result in something different. I think most enthusiasts will be happy though for the general public, it won't matter!

Indeed I did like the 6 speed automatic in the CX-3. It up/down shifts almost imperceptibly and helps the small 2.0L make it's power. It always seems to pick the right gear for the situation. Definitely among the best shiftable autos in their segment.

My daughters 4 speed auto in the '06 Mazda 3i-2.0L in my signature is similar. Smooth shifts and has a great everydayness about it! It's just the way Mazda does autos beyond what I can explain. I have driven this '06 many times between NY State and PA mountains and well, it could use 2 more gears for MPG alone but, at City:29/Hiwy:36 MPG, she isn't complaining and both beat the EPA rating!
laugh.gif

Last edited:

smile.gif

Yes it's MSRP! $25,500 was for the mid level "Touring".
smile.gif

$27,*** & $29,*** w/pkg was the MSRP/Sticker for the "Grand Touring" trim level! IDK what the MSRP is on the standard "SPORT" trim level. I'd have to visit the Mazda website!

Right now, they're not dealing much(if at all) on the sticker price and the sales rep and I didn't quite get into the price. Of course, it would depend on trade in, repeat customer/customer loyalty(if you own another Mazda) etc.

The two Mazda dealers that I visited both had ~1/2 dozen CX-3's on their lots. And all were "Touring" & "Grand Touring" models!

It is the hot new segment, so I guess it's to be expected that they won't want/need to deal. Still, that's a lot of money for so little car. Definitely a niche, I'd say.

Great review and thanks for sharing!

It is the hot new segment, so I guess it's to be expected that they won't want/need to deal. Still, that's a lot of money for so little car. Definitely a niche, I'd say.

Great review and thanks for sharing!

Yes, the compact CUV/SUV are very hot the last several months.

Their market share of total vehicle went up substantial while car(sedan, coupe ...) went down, even the best selling cars of the last decade went down too.

As I stated above in my EDIT, don't respond to anymore of my posts! Your just the kind of person here at BITOG that likes to start arguments while offering nothing to the subject.

You're not welcome in my threads!

Stupid. You're not a mod, or the owner of the site, so your request carries no authority. I'll respond any time I feel the desire to, and will only stop if requested by a moderator or the site owner. Too bad the original target bowed out to your nonsense.

While we're on the subject, the CX-3 is a clown car that is unsuitable for real American adults. 5'10? I didn't know they stacked [excrement] that high!

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Mazda's have a real issue with body rust, it's so bad I have to believe finish longevity isn't even on their radar screen.

I guess my 156k mile 2007 MS3 didn't get the memo; no rust, rattles, or mechanical issues.

The Mazda CX3 Owners Manual says about break-in (among other things): "Avoid full-throttle starts". Especially given you're not evidently a serious buyer it was nice of you to perhaps compromise the car for its eventual owner with your WOT antics. Or maybe you confirmed this example was past the break-in period?

every car that gets test drove gets WOT by someone. Even new cars are "used". Engines are built to run their RPM range. No harm is done by a WOT run on a warm engine.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

every car that gets test drove gets WOT by someone. Even new cars are "used". Engines are built to run their RPM range. No harm is done by a WOT run on a warm engine.

Unless you buy a car that never was test driven
wink.gif
Though they are probably driven hard at the factory.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Mazda's have a real issue with body rust, it's so bad I have to believe finish longevity isn't even on their radar screen.

I guess my 156k mile 2007 MS3 didn't get the memo; no rust, rattles, or mechanical issues.

You'd never know unless you drive in region that uses road salt, just this weekend alone on my 500mi. trip saw 3 later model Mazdas rusted beyond logical repair, rear wheel wells, fuel cover, trunk lids..basicaly from the rear wheel back, toast. Try and trade that wasted junk in at the dealer or find a goof that likes rusted beaters..either way the rust devalues the product, and Mazdas are clearly the worst brand on the road here.

You'd never know unless you drive in region that uses road salt

Road salt IS used where I live. So again, my car bust be an extraordinary outlier...

I have to say that my 06 Mazda 3 is being taken care of and rust proofed on a regular basis. My efforts are probably way higher than the vast majority of the motoring public.
Still, the trunk area, below the third brake light started rusting about two winters ago.
The frame on the rear door on the B pillar is also bubbling and I found it is rusting pretty bad behind the weather stripping. So it's one more area added to the list of spots to apply extra rustproofing. Interestingly enough, only the driver's side is affected, the passenger side is rust free, but will still be sprayed.

On the rear door, there is a channel for the main window and that little triangular one at the back. I found out this year, by accident, that one was almost rusted out at the attaching point. Good thing that these channels were cheap and easy to change.

So while I really like this car and overall it has been very reliable and unlike the safe bets aka Corolla/Civic, very enjoyable to drive, the rust aspect really irks me given my efforts to control the issue.

I will be car shopping pretty soon and I must say that I am hesitant to consider anything from Mazda's lineup. If you asked me few years ago, before these small rust spots started popping out, I would not hesitate, but now Mazda would have to offer me a darn good deal over everybody else for me to buy another one. As of now, I have little incentive to even consider them.

I am wondering if Mazda has taken care of this rust issue they have with so many of their cars. They're certainly getting a good buck for their vehicles and want to be a "premium brand"(according to CR) in their segment!

Always something, look at the history.. Subie has risk of a engine problem, Nissan the A/C and transaxles and Mazda severe rust...all these nameplates are strong but not complete and that's why their second tier nameplates.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I have to say that my 06 Mazda 3 is being taken care of and rust proofed on a regular basis. My efforts are probably way higher than the vast majority of the motoring public.
Still, the trunk area, below the third brake light started rusting about two winters ago.
The frame on the rear door on the B pillar is also bubbling and I found it is rusting pretty bad behind the weather stripping. So it's one more area added to the list of spots to apply extra rustproofing. Interestingly enough, only the driver's side is affected, the passenger side is rust free, but will still be sprayed.

On the rear door, there is a channel for the main window and that little triangular one at the back. I found out this year, by accident, that one was almost rusted out at the attaching point. Good thing that these channels were cheap and easy to change.

So while I really like this car and overall it has been very reliable and unlike the safe bets aka Corolla/Civic, very enjoyable to drive, the rust aspect really irks me given my efforts to control the issue.

I will be car shopping pretty soon and I must say that I am hesitant to consider anything from Mazda's lineup. If you asked me few years ago, before these small rust spots started popping out, I would not hesitate, but now Mazda would have to offer me a darn good deal over everybody else for me to buy another one. As of now, I have little incentive to even consider them.

Right, just to compare my vehicles, the '03 Accord has a dime sized surface rust on the front lip of the hood, $100 repair and the '06 Highlander, zero rust and you cant find a Highlander with rust regardless of mileage, year or region. Clearly these mfg's have engineered the styling to avoid rust issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back