Maxlife vs. Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a longtime lurker here and have a 2004 Saturn VUE with a Honda engine and Trans., is Maxlife a good replacement for Honda Z1? It says it is but I would like everyones input on it.

Thanks

The answer is: Nobody *knows* for sure.

Anecdotally, I've used it in my '02 Accord V6 and I like it. I *really* like it in my '03 Kia Sedona. I've been told it's maybe it a bit thick, but I don't know if the Hondas care or not.

Honda (OEM) ATF-Z1 is pretty good, though, unlike some other OEM formulations.

Also available are Castrol MultiVehicle Import (can't get that locally) and I think even Pennzoil.

If I had the cash, I'd do Amsoil, though.
Barring that, at $4/qt., the MaxLife ATF seems to work well for me. We'll know in another 50K miles.

I do 2-3 qt. drain/refill every 6-10K miles now, after doing 9 quarts of Specialty Formulations at 45K.

I really liked the SF stuff.

I wouldn't do it. Shop the Honda dealers for a case price on z-1 and you should be able to hit $5/qt. Maybe less. Just not worth the chance of having a trans issue to save just a few bucks. IMO

Thanks for everyones help, I decided to use Amsoil which I picked up tonight and did the drain and refill twice.

It took about 5 minutes to drain out 3.5 quarts, I refilled with Amsoil ATF and drove around for a while then came back and took out 3 more quarts and refilled again with Amsoil. All I can say is WOW, what a difference... Not more dragging of gears, firmer shifts and absolutely zero rpm fluctuation while at a steady speed in drive. I have put on about 250 miles so far and its great!

i still can't decide whether it is safe or not to switch to maxlife or amsoil. i been reading on other forums and some people are absolutely against it.

Quote:
i still can't decide whether it is safe or not to switch to maxlife or amsoil. i been reading on other forums and some people are absolutely against it.

It is safe, and I can almost assure you that the people who are against it have never once tried it.

I know that Amsoil tested their ATF in all the types of transmissions that it is recommended for. I would bet that Valvoline has tested as well, and would highly recommend trying it if you're on a budget.

OEM will tell you differently because they have no experience with the aftermarket fluids and want to ensure that people do not toss in cheap Type A ATF from the local dollar store and fry their transmission. That's why OEM constantly tout their "special" ATF is so much better.

I was worried too, but figured what the heck with my old CRV. I took the plunge and now have over 50% Maxlife ATF. I have not noticed a thing. Shifts are not noticeably different, rpms are not different and my transmission has yet to explode. I have had it in for at least 20,000 miles. It even stays nice and red.

ref

I think the worst thing you could possibly run into is harder shifts although I haven't had a problem even with the ATD.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I think the worst thing you could possibly run into is harder shifts although I haven't had a problem even with the ATD.

Not harder shifts, it seemed like it was lagging between gears. Now it shifts like it did when new.

right now my car is delaying on shifting to R from D, vice versa. it would take about a couple of seconds before the gear is engage. when driving, shifting from 1-2-3 is rough and it feels like the car jerks. im pretty sure it has transmission problems but do you think new atf would help? it also feels like its lagging between gears too.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
How well has the transmission been taken care of? If it's rarely been serviced, then service it and see what happens.

parents bought a used car for my first car.

How many miles are on the car? Check the fluid and if it is dark, then do a simple drain and fill with the cheapest ATF for your vehicle.

If things improve, do another after 1,000 miles, and go 5,000 miles on it. Then perform a full flush with the cheapest ATF for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Auto-Union
Auto-Rx is working nicely in our 120k Honda trans.

oh really, i was thinking of doing autorx at 150k. did it resolve any problems that you had?

I've been using Maxlife in my Odyssey tranny for about 3 years and have not had any problems and it shifts smooth. But the Z1 may be better now than it was a couple of years ago when it was also used for the CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back