Maxlife new labels and new specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/Maxlife.pdf
banana.gif
cheers2.gif

Quote:

It apears that you did, Silver! That is an interesting grade for Maxlife HM and seems to reiterate how I feel about MC 5w20 being safe for HM vehicles.

Whom said that it was not safe to use motorcraft?

It seems that every time I try to recommend MC 5w20 it gets shot down for the reason that it is "too thin" to use in HM vehicles. My Volvo's have 362k and 133k and run amazingly well with MC 5w20.

Coffee just do an UOA on it. 5W-20 seems too thin for your Volvo. But if you are making a lot of short trips it I can see how 5W-20 would be a benefit. But don't be surprised if you see an higher than average iron/lead count. I also could see why Ashland is making an 5W-20 Maxlife. Because of the Ford back spec to use 5W-20. This along with the amount of cars on the road that other manufacture's recommend 5W-20. My truck 5W-20 is the only specified grade. I have only had the truck for 8 months. I currently have 15.5K on the odo. I could reach 75K in about another 2 years. I see why Ashland thinks that there is an "untapped" market for an HM 20 weight oil. But it does not make logical sense to me.

They've thickened it up a bit. Still not as thick as Castrol HM. Maxlife has a great additive package; Overbased calcium, 300ppm moly. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............moly.........argoraghhhhhhhh (Homer devouring a donut sound).

WOW ! THEY'VE MADE IT THICKER !
banana.gif

I might not have to make a special summer mix, I can just pour it from the bottle.

beer2.gif

Last edited:
Both of our cars are used for mostly short trips as everything we need is close to us. We only use the lower mileage car for longer trips but that is rare so it seemed like a good oil for my cars across the boards.

The 5w20 is ideal for a short trip vehicle that never gets fully warmed up.

Hey, look they still list the SAE 30 Maxlife.

I've seen the new Maxlife bottles at ChinaMart and at the local NAPA. NAPA has a good sale going on the Valvoline line this month if you are interested.

Hey TallPaul,
grin.gif

We can't tell people that it's the same thickness as AllClimate anymore. . .

New MaxLife 10W-30

11.5 cSt @ 100C
75.0 cSt @ 100C

guys i just went to AAP, and it is confirmed, we have 5w-20 maxlife fresh on the shelf, might try it after my havoline syn stash runs out

Quote:

I just noticed my above specs has a typo; it should say:

11.5 cSt @ 100C
75.0 cSt @ 40C

Very nice, just lik 30 weights used to be when I was a kid. See the 10w40 is about 1 cSt thicker too. Effective Feb 07.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back