Maxlife Engine Protector Vs Synpower Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I compared the MSDS sheets for these two products and under section 2 COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS , the Ingredients , CAS nymber and % are word for word number for number EXCATLY the same. Im not a expert and reading MSDS sheets but this would inicate to me that these two products are in fact the same just have a different bottle. Im i correct ?

quote:

Originally posted by BlueBird:

Im i correct ?

No your not correct
smile.gif

Search my user number in this section . I have posted the differences in the two additives twice now . The grey colored bottle has quite a bit of PAO vs none in the Maxlife red bottle and there are other differences to include price.

The better stuff in the grey bottle is actually costs less at most stores .

posted by Motorbik
quote:

I don't think though that the Maxlife Engine Protector is the best buy in my opinion when the Platinum coloered bottle of Valvoline Synpower Engine Treatment is available @ 2.99-3.99 for the same 15 ounce quanity and you get:

60-70% pao and 2-12% Aliphatic Petroleum vs Zero Pao and the the 35-57% total Petroleum Distillate which looks to be the bulk of the red bottle stuff .

Motorbike, both the MAXLIFE ENGINE PROTECTOR and the SYNPOWER OIL TREATMENT come in 15oz bottles and according to thier MSDS sheets have the extact same ingredients. How could they be different ?

Also, SYNPOWER ENGINE TREATMENT comes in a 32oz bottle and has the ingredients you listed above.

I also looked at your recent UOA and it looked pretty good but is is unclear form your posts wich additive you used.

There are 3 products:
Maxlife Engine Protector ( 15oz bottle )
Synpower Oil Treatment ( 15 oz bottle )
Synpower Engine Treatment ( 32 oz bottle )

quote:

posted by Motorbik

I also looked at your recent UOA and it looked pretty good but is is unclear form your posts wich additive you used.

I think it looks very clear as to which Valvoline product I used . The size , name and color of bottle was listed .

VOA

I am out of time for this morning , later when time permits I'll dig into this again and post the differences in the two products as I see them based on the MSDS's . This will not include whatever that stuff is in the 32oz container .

[ March 26, 2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Motorbike,

Do you have a VOA for the 15oz. SynPower Oil Treatment. The MaxLife VOA looked pretty good.

Moly 489
Boron 40
Phos. 567
Potasium 11
Zinc 625
Calcium 240
Mg. 57

15.3cst@100*C

Does the SynPower Treatment look any different or is the difference just in the carrier oil.

Thanks

The Synpower MSDS I examined did not look as good as MLEP (MaxLife Engine Protector).

I recommend MLEP for those who do not want to follow Honda's recommendation to go at least 3750 miles on the factory fill (like me - I like to ensure any mfg grundge and sand casting traces are out of there). The VOA of the Honda factory fill are high in MPZ, as is MLEP.

So I tell them to fill with a quality minoil, and add one bottle of MLEP.

Moto for President!!
patriot.gif

Me for Vice-President!!
patriot.gif

[ March 26, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Hey guys.....I was thinking; maybe I should buy some maxlife (red bottle) and mix the whole thing with my schaeffer's #132 and then add so many ounces to the oil. This adds schaeffer's excellent base fluid and antimony and the moly, zinc and boron of maxlife.
The test vehicle would be my wife's corolla....of course!
grin.gif

Ok , will try to get this done before edit time limit feature runs out ,

product description

Maxlife Engine Protector

Synpower Oil Treatment

Oh man
pat.gif
, when they pulled their site down a month or so back and the MSDS's were not available , well they messed up it seems when they got it all running again .

Yes I see where the two additives are identical per the MSDS but it's not so . The dates are older so they have not reformulated it's just an error that they have the Maxlife MSDS contents listed in the Synpower MSDS . 15 ounce bottle here , not whatever the 32oz stuff is .

The bulk of the Synpower is PAO CAS # 68037- but I assume it's a high viscosity PAO . I will email or call Valvoline and get new copies of both MSDS's .

But for now , I guess both additives are good and deserves more testing . One of the two could possibly be a great elixor with the right engine oil choice since one 15 ounce bottle can treat 3 5 quart motors three times . My first test was with an engine that had been hurt and had residual wear metals from over heating . One thing for sure is the Synpower raised the TBN and lowered the iron level ..... I'm trying it again with a different engine and engine oil . One that I already have several previous analysis' on , my Cousins LS1 Vette running Mobil 0w-40 .

[ March 27, 2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Hey guys.....I was thinking; maybe I should buy some maxlife (red bottle) and mix the whole thing with my schaeffer's #132 and then add so many ounces to the oil. This adds schaeffer's excellent base fluid and antimony and the moly, zinc and boron of maxlife.
The test vehicle would be my wife's corolla....of course!
grin.gif

I'm really thinking about making this brew......I seriously doubt it would create a catastrophe. Those 2 additives combined in an oil like Mobil 1 would be very interesting to see the effect on wear.

I wonder if maxlife engine protector was designed to be used with maxlife only. I read the label I don't think it specifically says to add to maxlife oil. just add to oil at oil change. I got an oil change coming up in a week or two. maxlife and engine protector are going in.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
I wonder if maxlife engine protector was designed to be used with maxlife only. I read the label I don't think it specifically says to add to maxlife oil. just add to oil at oil change. I got an oil change coming up in a week or two. maxlife and engine protector are going in.

I'm pretty sure it is NOT specifically designed for Valvoline oil, but just about any oil. I would like to give the product a try and I'm really interested in finding out what benefits, it any, mixing the protector, #132 and M1 will have. I will probably run it to 4k miles to directly compare to my previous best.

I have about 12 oz of the Maxlife Engine Protector (MEP) but am kind of afraid to use it because I suspect it will jack up the viscosity of the oil too much. Anybody have the viscosity tested before and after adding the MEP?

I had not thought of the posibility of Valvoline having the incorect MSDS sheets posted on thier website , so i too went ahead and had the latest MSDS sheets for the 3 products faxed to me. They are exactly the same as those that Valvoline has posted on thier site.

So , Synpower Oil Treatment and Maxlife Engine Protector both come in 15 oz bottles and have the exact same MSDS ingredients and percentages word for word and number for number.

Synpower Engine Treatment comes in a 32oz bottle and is made up of 57%-67% CAS# 68037-01-4

Those are the facts.

Now , i think that Maxlife Engine Protector works best with the Maxlife oil because it has additives that the oil does not. I have used MLEP with Durablend , posted a UAO and the results were good but I am now running MLEP with Maxlife oil. I was looking for a additive to use with Durablend oil and thought maybe the Synpower Oil Treatment looked good but according to the MSDS ,its the same thing as Maxlife Engine Protector. I will look for the Synpower Engine Treatment and try that next oil change.

quote:

I have used MLEP with Durablend , posted a UAO and the results were good ...

Good to know, since my next OCI will be Durablend 15w40. Found some old SJ stock and couldn't resist. If the 15w40 needs beefing against the summer heat, I will add the MLEP.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I have about 12 oz of the Maxlife Engine Protector (MEP) but am kind of afraid to use it because I suspect it will jack up the viscosity of the oil too much. Anybody have the viscosity tested before and after adding the MEP?

I believe molakule said it's pretty safe to add 2 oz per quart of oil. my capacity is only 3.2 qts, I'm going to add 8 ozs. I want to thicken up the 5w30 maxlife. I'm in tn and were already in the 80's

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
I believe molakule said it's pretty safe to add 2 oz per quart of oil.

My beastly 4.9L I6 takes 6 quarts, so I guess I have just enouth MLEP to do it just right!
cheers.gif

Maybe I will add 6 oz first and see if the oil pressure goes up much. If not I'll add the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back