Manual transmission Mercedes

I’d look for a w201 2.5 turbodiesel with a manual.

The heavier w124 3.0 turbo from 1987 was faster than a Camaro of its time. I’d suspect that the lighter w201 manual turbo would be pretty fun. Heck, I love my 72hp NA 2.2L model with automatic!

I’d look for a w201 2.5 turbodiesel with a manual.

The heavier w124 3.0 turbo from 1987 was faster than a Camaro of its time. I’d suspect that the lighter w201 manual turbo would be pretty fun. Heck, I love my 72hp NA 2.2L model with automatic!
If my memory is correct, a 2.5 turbo 190d in the W201 chassis would be almost impossible to find in North America. I would suspect any example that would surface as a likely garage conversion rather than factory equipment.

My local facebook marketplace has an early W123 240d with a stick. The asking price is something like $8k, with over 200k on the clock.

C coupes came with a stick.

2004-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-FrontSide_MBCCPE041_505x375.jpg
Fairly rare but awesome. I read in certain markets you could get an S class with a manual. Not sure if that was a rumor or not.

I think I have convinced my wife to get a Mercedes car with a manual transmission - the condition is that I get rid of my BMW Z4 (she hates that car with great passion). When looking through AutoTempest and most of the manual Mercs are SLK. I'm not really interested in sedans unless an 80-s E class which I can't find.

So... what to look for in an SLK with manual transmission. Any engines and years to avoid? Do they rust? They seem to be well kept by their owners but pictures can be deceiving.
E55 manual swapCheck out the guy with the E55 manual transmission swap. He has a multi part video. Very professionally done.

My 2008 C300 had a 6-spd manual. It was quite rare and not the smoothest rowing I've had to do but it was rewarding getting it right. I did notice having manual control of the transmission made a difference in fuel economy. Over the 2.5 years I owned it and the 70K miles I put on it, the average was about 26mpg hand-calculated. On road trips it could get over 30mpg. I do miss it for sure. Here's a snap:
C300.jpg

Yep, I remember reading that one. I'm curious what ever happened to mine, after trading it in at VW dealership in Aug 2014. I hopped into a brand-new Golf TDI that got 44+mpg and took that thing all over the country (and Canada) on roadtrips.

I wonder if the dealership auctioned it off (most likely)... I wish I still had the VIN, that way I could check.

I cannot remember MB ever being praised for its manuals. They always seamed like an afterthought and really did not fit well into their focus which was more comfort and luxury.

I cannot remember MB ever being praised for its manuals. They always seamed like an afterthought and really did not fit well into their focus which was more comfort and luxury.
My 1981 240D had a very smooth manual 4 speed. Wonderful transmission. With over 200,000 miles on it, it still shifted like butter.

Mercedes’ preponderance of European sales were manuals until fairly recently. Manual W124 taxi, for example, was a very common car in Europe for a long time.

Over here, automatic = luxury. There, manual = fuel economy. Given the history or European fuel prices, most folks chose economy, even in a Mercedes.

My 1981 240D had a very smooth manual 4 speed. Wonderful transmission. With over 200,000 miles on it, it still shifted like butter.

Mercedes’ preponderance of European sales were manuals until fairly recently. Manual W124 taxi, for example, was a very common car in Europe for a long time.

Over here, automatic = luxury. There, manual = fuel economy. Given the history or European fuel prices, most folks chose economy, even in a Mercedes.
Actually, I am talking from that European perspective. They never had appeal of BMW or Audi manual. What you saying are vehicles that were offered in the time when there was no other feasible option for such engines. And automatics were serious luxury at that time in Europe. As soon as automatic transmissions were available for smaller engines, cheaper and MB decided to offer something north of 100hp in diesel world, automatic was preferred option especially for taxi buyers. The death of MB manuals happened with introduction of 200 and 220CDI engines. Their automatics were far better executed than manuals.

In he US Mercedes offered a 5 speed or Automatic transmission on the W124 from 1986 to 1989. Same price.

Only 300 manuals were delivered.

MB have been phasing out manual transmissions in Europe for several years . You can't buy the current C class with a manual and I presume that's also true of the larger models. Even my 2009 C class manual is relatively rare and vastly out numbered by auto's.

Back