Manual Transmission Gear Oil-My Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 6spd
OEM gear oils changed at 6700 miles, shifting kind of clunky and especially when cold Changed to Amsoil Synthetic gear lube 75W90 GL-4 available at the time, 2001

At 14000 miles not happy with the Amsoil as no improvement. Went to Redline 50-50 mix of MTL and MT-90 for front tranaxle and transfer case. Noticed a significant improvement and it has been in there since (changed at 21000 due to a recall but still the Redline).

Now at 45,000 decided to try the Amsoil again this time the Manual transmission oil MTG GL-4(which was not available back in 2001)

This time, a nice improvement over the Redline, slight but noticeably easier shifting when cold. Rear differential oil has never been an issue, a GL-5 and this time went with the Amsoil Severe 75W90 SVG

Just wanted to relay my experience to those looking around for transmission oil alternatives GL-4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
We can also add the new Redline 75-85 to the good list.
It is kinda like the mix so many have used with success.

Is that safe for trannies that use GL-4 or is it more a differential fluid?

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
We can also add the new Redline 75-85 to the good list.
It is kinda like the mix so many have used with success.

Is that safe for trannies that use GL-4 or is it more a differential fluid?

Whimsey

This is definitely a manual trans fluid! Friction modified for good synchro action and great wear characteristics.

I alway mix 1 quart of redline shock proof gear oil with the rest of pennzoil syncromesh on those mitsubishi eclipse gsx awd turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back