Maintenance on a "sealed for life transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have an 06 Chevrolet 4 speed that calls for no fluid changes out past 150,000 miles unless used in severe service. I've changed the fluid/filter once at 80,000 miles and a partial change at 150,000 miles. Now at 202,000 miles it still runs fine. I don't think transmissions need as much service as they used to.

Did you drop the pan to change the filter?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
There is no such thing as "sealed for life". The term was invented to discourage maintenance. Some manufacturers amke it more difficult than others, but there is always a way to at least partially change the ATF.

Filters, if they are internal, they usually do not need to be changed if the tranny has had some decent maintenance record.

I'm the first and only owner, I'm thinking of driving it to the ground since I'm low on funds since buying a house

Last edited:
Sealed for life means it'll last 120K instead of more than 200K for a maintained transmission.

I see bearings tested in transmissions and transfer cases that are sealed for life. It is not pretty. The manufacturers are stepping up the cleanliness requirements of all parts that go into assembling a transmission to reduce the problems. Unfortunately, these requirements don't take care of break-in debris. In my opinion, a fluid exchange at 25K to 40K would cure many ills.

Rock Auto has transmission filters kits with gasket, it appears to use a "real" filter not just a screen so its a good idea to drop the pan.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have an 06 Chevrolet 4 speed that calls for no fluid changes out past 150,000 miles unless used in severe service. I've changed the fluid/filter once at 80,000 miles and a partial change at 150,000 miles. Now at 202,000 miles it still runs fine. I don't think transmissions need as much service as they used to.

Did you drop the pan to change the filter?

At 80,000 miles the pan was dropped and the filter changed. At 150,000 miles a leak in the cooler lines developed so I had to change them. Drained about 4 quarts by simply bending the cooler lines down. Replaced the lines, and put in the equivalent volume in new fluid. The fluid I took out at 150,000 miles looked almost new.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trav
Sealed for life in the hands of the first owner maybe and to Hades with the subsequent owners they are not the target of the new car sales campaign.
IMO every 50K is probably a good bet with synthetic fluid and change/clean the filter/screen and pan if its serviceable.

You don't mean service something that the engineers and designers deemed never needs service do you? That would mean you know more than they do.
wink.gif
j/k

All kidding aside, filled for life is one of the dumbest terms to come out of the auto industry in a long time.

Funny thing - I recently met a guy who is part owner of a transmission shop. We got on this subject of changing tranny fluid. He said he didn't think actually changing the fluid made any difference at all in the longevity of most transmissions. His theory is that in most (he estimated at least 8 of 10) vehicles that he sees, the fluid was extremely low. He said most people don't check the fluid level ever (if it is possible) or notice the puddle of fluid under the car and drive the car until the tranny starts to slip, then they either drive it to a shop or drive it until it completely dies. Either way most of the time the tranny is toast.

He said he sees a lot of leaking seals in certain models. Also he smiled when he mentioned he has seen a number of tranny pans that were severely damaged (mostly FWD vehicles) and the owner came in bad mouthing the manufacturer for making a POS vehicle.

Personally in my 50+ years I've owned a lot of vehicles and serviced many many more. I've seen vehicles that from the factory needed a transmission rebuilt while under factory warranty, and I've seen vehicles that were bought new and were sold or send to the junkyard 200K - 250K miles later that had the factory tranny fluid and still shifted fine.

I realize everyone has their own stories and experiences. I have gone both ways in my own vehicles but can't remember the last time I've had a tranny failure.

But - just maybe those engineers and designers aren't as stupid as you think they are!
27.gif

Rock Auto has transmission filters kits with gasket, it appears to use a "real" filter not just a screen so its a good idea to drop the pan.
frown.gif

Man I really hate having to do that

What type of RTV people recommend?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Haven't read too much on sealed-for-life transmissions, but even most North American manufacturers are suggesting no maintenance for the first 150,000 miles. Many BITOGERS are using old school habits on transmission maintenance like every 30,000 miles for instance. Have fun. Flame suit on.

For the average car owner who buys a new car every 7 years that's exactly around the mileage that they'd trade it in.

But anyone who drives in stop and go traffic in a hot region should change it out at least after the first 30k. The initial drain carries away a lot of the rough particulate. Subsequent drains can be every 40 or 60k. Fluid cleanliness is not the only factor. The additives that protect the internals can cook off if the tranny gets too hot as well.

OK, let me add some info and I think I can agree with the principle of these changes. Only 1.3 % of the vehicles in America have more than 200,000 miles on them and if you isolate the trucks from that ( not counting semi’s) only 5% of trucks have more than 200,000 miles on them. So I guess it’s up the Bitogers to come up with their systems to get the vehicles to last to some sort of mileage goal that is independent to each person. So if the auto manufacturers are saying you don’t have to do the short change, they feel the transmission will make it to at least the end of the Power Train warranty and they think it will probably last until 150,000 miles because they are telling people not to worry about it. So if you are planning on keeping your vehicle past 150,000 miles then change away! The other 98.7 % of people don’t have to bother.
banana2.gif

By the way, if the transmissions start failing before 150,000 miles, the lawyers will have a hay day, simply because transmissions used to have a maintenance schedule and now the manufacturers say you don't need one. Wonder what the GM lawyers advised?

Last edited:
sealed for like aka until the warranty runs out, then its your $$$$. spend a little or a lot later unless you trade with lower miles on it!

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Trav said:
Sealed for life in the hands of the first owner maybe and to Hades with the subsequent owners they are not the target of the new car sales campaign.
IMO every 50K is probably a good bet with synthetic fluid and change/clean the filter/screen and pan if its serviceable.

You don't mean service something that the engineers and designers deemed never needs service do you? That would mean you know more than they do.
wink.gif
j/k

All kidding aside, filled for life is one of the dumbest terms to come out of the auto industry in a long time. [/

Funny thing - I recently met a guy who is part owner of a transmission shop. We got on this subject of changing tranny fluid. He said he didn't think actually changing the fluid made any difference at all in the longevity of most transmissions. His theory is that in most (he estimated at least 8 of 10) vehicles that he sees, the fluid was extremely low. He said most people don't check the fluid level ever (if it is possible) or notice the puddle of fluid under the car and drive the car until the tranny starts to slip, then they either drive it to a shop or drive it until it completely dies. Either way most of the time the tranny is toast.

He said he sees a lot of leaking seals in certain models. Also he smiled when he mentioned he has seen a number of tranny pans that were severely damaged (mostly FWD vehicles) and the owner came in bad mouthing the manufacturer for making a POS vehicle.

Personally in my 50+ years I've owned a lot of vehicles and serviced many many more. I've seen vehicles that from the factory needed a transmission rebuilt while under factory warranty, and I've seen vehicles that were bought new and were sold or send to the junkyard 200K - 250K miles later that had the factory tranny fluid and still shifted fine.

I realize everyone has their own stories and experiences. I have gone both ways in my own vehicles but can't remember the last time I've had a tranny failure.

But - just maybe those engineers and designers aren't as stupid as you think they are!
27.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
OK, all the non-changers will have to chime in when they hit 150,000 miles, or at least tell us when your tranny gives up the ghost.
smile.gif

Think it’s a conspiracy?

Last edited:
You hate what, to use a gasket instead of RTV? RTV sucks.

I hate having to drop the pan and change the filter.

They don't sell the gasket around me and when looking through the service manual there is no mention of replacing it other than when replacing the whole tranny

Its not that bad, in fact its one of the easier jobs but to do it or not is your decision.
Personally I like to change the filter and clean the inside of the pan if I am servicing one.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Funny thing - I recently met a guy who is part owner of a transmission shop. We got on this subject of changing tranny fluid. He said he didn't think actually changing the fluid made any difference at all in the longevity of most transmissions.

Transmission life can really be a roll of the dice. I've seen vehicles with 250K miles on them with original transmission fluid and a few years ago my wife rented a Toyota car that had the transmission go out with just a few thousand miles on it.
But your post reminds me of a Ford Aerostar that I purchased close to 20 years ago. I saw it parked along side the road with a "For Sale" sign on it. The wife and I had three small kids at the time and we were looking for a mini-van. The price on this Aerostar was incredibly low, so low I thought it was a typo. I called the telephone number and it happened to be owned by a mechanic. He told me that the transmission was out on it and he didn't want to mess with it any more. Sure enough, wouldn't shift into 3rd and 4th. After giving him about $200, I towed the van home and unloaded it. I was within a few minutes of ordering a rebuild kit when I got the hair-brained idea of changing the transmission fluid and filter. That cured it. I put another 200K miles on that vehicle without any more transmission problems.
My father-in-law always gave me a hard time about "stealing" this vehicle and asked if I felt guilty about it. I always told him I slept good because I bought it from a mechanic and he obviously should have known better.
My own opinion is that transmissions need to be serviced, and it doesn't matter if they have a dipstick or not.

Its not that bad, in fact its one of the easier jobs but to do it or not is your decision.
Personally I like to change the filter and clean the inside of the pan if I am servicing one.

I'll be doing my service in my buddy's garage so waiting 24 hours isn't an option for me
smirk.gif

Does permatex "the right stuff" work on it or is it too weak for ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back