Maintenance items for grease??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I would like to know if the car parts which use grease need regular maintenance on modern vehicles.

I grease my door hinges, but that's about it. I have an 02 PT Cruiser with only about 38k miles.

I assumed that new vehicles have permanently lubricated wheel bearings. Is this right?? And I'm not sure how often or what to do with CV boots/joints to make them last as long as possible...

Thanks
bowdown.gif

Most passenger vehicles these days aren't going to have any grease fittings; they'll be 'sealed' 'lube for life' parts to reduce maintenance. The only real thing you can do for cv boots is to keep them clean; if they get dirty/oily on the outside that gunk can become abrasive and wear out the boot prematurely.

Also you can check all the boots at least at each oil change to make sure they're not ripped; if they are ripped and you catch it early enough you may be able to replace the boot before much damage is done. replacement 'rebuilt' axle half shafts are pretty readily available but quality sometimes isn't the best.

Most modern cars, especially front wheel drive, have permanently lubricated wheel bearings. Just hope you never have to change them. They are very high cost.

My 99' Ranger has greasable front bearings and thats about it, no zerks. My wifes 02' Liberty has sealed bearings and no zerks either. I looked up the price for replacement front bearings for the Liberty (just in case) and they were like $150 each, aftermarket.
crazy.gif

Tempest,
I think the price you found for sealed bearings is typical. Might cost a little more if a tone ring for the anti-lock brakes is part of the sealed bearing assembly.
Compare that to about $25 a side for grease able bearings and a seal. That's progress. :)

Name of the game is "no maintenance". Sealed bearings don't normaly require replacement for the life of the car. Occasionally one does go bad, and they are rather expensive. GM and some others build replacement bearing with spindle,hub,bearing, as a complete replacement unit. Snap to change $85-150 range. Ford and still others replace bearing only $15-50 part,,,but a real butch to change. Press and custom built tooling a must.

Greasable bearings with their regular servicing are ok for doityourselfers, but no maintenance sealed units are much better for everybody else because sealed bearings are so trouble free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back