Mainly a American, European, Asian vehicle owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: marine65
I looked it up.
Average UAW pay is $27 hour not counting benefits.
So thats almost $1200 a week for unskilled labor to put parts on a car.

I think the UAW pressure is actually convincing auto manufacturers to automate as much as possible. I don’t like the UAW either. Job salaries should be based on market demand, not regulations

I've only owned two non American vehicles...an had 04 Nissan Maxima as a company car. Good to drive and never had issues but didn't ooze quality. And then my Land Rover...absolutely love it. Other than that, all GM or Mopar. I don't really like Asian vehicles no matter where they make them.

Last edited:
Right now, I own 2 US made Camrys. I have 40 odd yrs on 2 German Marques. Bugs 'n BMWs , 20 yrs of AMC jeeps. A smattering of Ford and Mopar in there. Put me in a bracket.

I looked it up.

I not taking any sides....

But $27 an hour plus benefits is what the manufacturers agreed to pay these UAW workers.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I looked it up.

But $27 an hour plus benefits is what the manufacturers agreed to pay these UAW workers.

After years of the UAW targeting the weakest of the big three with strikes or threats thereof. Whoever is in the most trouble at contract time will be the target.

Did you know over two thousand dollars of the price of every UAW made vehicle is actually added to fund the health/pension funds of retired UAW workers? That doesn't even touch the UAW labor cost to build the thing which is way beyond what the skill and labor is worth on a fair market. Stranglehold indeed.

I looked it up.

If you call the equivalent of being held at financial gunpoint "agreeing" anyway.

I looked it up.

And it is hard and boring work. It supports a decent middle class life for many Americans. What is pathetic is people thinking 15.00 an hour is a good middle class job.

Here in Taiwan. Euro cars, especially BMW and Mercs, are bought for status. They tend to have short and painfull lives and are a risky and expensive proposition once out of warranty. The conditions seem to be especially hard on German degradable plastics.

Japanese brands are generally regarded as the best buy used, though some are assembled locally. This is probably partly because Taiwanese don't "do" maintenance, and Japanese cars survive that longer. I had a Euro Ford here (Sierra DOHC) which was fine until the plastic chain guide broke, then I killed it while attempting repair.

In the UK I had British and Japanese cars and one Soviet car, all well used. The Japanese were predictably the best, but the Soviet was the best value for money and the most fun.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I looked it up.

After years of the UAW targeting the weakest of the big three with strikes or threats thereof. Whoever is in the most trouble at contract time will be the target.

Did you know over two thousand dollars of the price of every UAW made vehicle is actually added to fund the health/pension funds of retired UAW workers? That doesn't even touch the UAW labor cost to build the thing which is way beyond what the skill and labor is worth on a fair market. Stranglehold indeed.

Yes, I'm aware of the 'built in' costs of a UAW built vehicle.
I'm also aware these workers are part of the collective bargaining process.

That average $27 an hour is a decent wage for what they do....

For the record I've never been part of a union, but understand the pros/cons of a union.

I've owned an run all American, European, and Asian made vehicle. Not just American, European, and Asian branded but made.

It really depends on what can I afford to buy and maintain the car in the long run.

1 German car (2002 VW Jetta) that was made in Mexico
1 American car that was made in the USA
1 Japanese car that was made in Japan

In the future, I plan on buying a Winnebago Rialta. What do you call it when Winnebago builds all the RV parts in the USA, but buys a chassis that was made in Germany?

Sometimes when I read a rant about manufacturing in the USA, I tell people the following.

My dad's best car was made in the USA

By Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back