Mainly a American, European, Asian vehicle owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have driven domestic "American" vehicles almost exclusively for about 30 years. I'm over it. The car market has become so global there are American brands but not really many American cars anymore. My Lincoln it turns out was made in Mexico and my Jeep in Canada. Meanwhile Camry's, Accords, KIA's, Hyundai's and VW's are being built inside the USA just to name a few.

I still have an aversion to Japanese for a host of reasons but my wife has had a KIA 6 years now and I'll admit while it's not fancy it's a better built vehicle than my domestics have been.

The next vehicle I buy for me is likely to be Korean or a VeeDub.

You do know Kia isn't Japanese, right?

Yes I'm aware it's Korean which is why I was willing to buy it for her in the first place, and why I mentioned the next car I buy for me is likely to be Korean as well. Our KIA has a Hyundai engine, not uncommon since they are kissin' cousins.

I have a great affinity for Mitsubishi. But, when i purchase in future it may be Toyota or Honda! Yes, I love Japanese vehicles......very disappointed DENSO (Japanese OEM Company) now has factory in China. Welcome to globalization.....Many vehicles today or made of parts from various countries. Automakers are loosing their identities, via the global economy and outsourcing. God bless Capitalism!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Some 'merica 4
Some Euro 4
Mostly [censored]. 12

Curious, what word was censored? Spell in phonetics.........

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Some 'merica 4
Some Euro 4
Mostly [censored]. 12

Curious, what word was censored? Spell in phonetics.........

Respectfully,

Pajero!

It looks like he said J - A - P, which is one of those non bad word bad words?

For me:
Toyota
Pontiac
Hyundai
Jeep

Even though I came from a mostly Ford family I never had a Ford. My plan going forward is to either buy japanese cars new or american cars used. I'm going to try to stay away from euro cars, my only experience is my wife's Saab whic, which was old and always needed something replaced.

I don't keep up with who owns who. But I'm pretty sure my Saturn was all American. My Camry's... one was assembled in USA, the other in Japan. So how do you count that?

Ignoring assembly and ownership, it's been something like
USA: 3
Japan: 6
German: 1

All Toyotas so far except my pickup.

I'm a conservative type of guy, so when I find something that works well for me, I keep going that way. My first car was a Toyota, and I got very good years out of it compared to friends with other brands.

The Ford appeared in the picture because when I was shopping for a used pickup, I really wanted a Tacoma, but budget said Ford or Chevrolet. Nobody wants a 3.0L 2WD Ranger on the used market so I got it for a good price. For the same price, the only Tacomas available were beat up late '90s ones.

Carrying junk around works equally well with a Ford or a Toyota.
smile.gif

It took some recollecting, but my immediate family vehicles since 1975 (corrected):

3 American: 1 AMC, 1 Pontiac & 1 Jeep

11 European: 1 Alfa Romeo, 2 BMW, 1 Fiat, 2 Saab, 1 Range Rover, 1 Sterling & 3 VW

23 Asian: 3 Acura, 4 Honda, 2 Hyundai, 2 Infiniti, 2 Isuzu, 3 Nissan, 4 Subaru, 3 Toyota

That's far too many vehicles, and also too many DIY oil changes.

Have owned mostly Japanese brands, along with a number of Australian built Fords and Holdens, and a couple of Europeans. The Taurus and Explorer we used to get here in the '90's put me off American vehicles, but I'm sure the quality and driving experience has improved since then...

I recommend Japanese or Korean when anyone asks my advice on buying a car.

No preference, but if it's cheap and I can get it running without spending too much money, I'll take it. American means left hand drive, so not here, but have owned a 1938 Chev...made in Canada, International, made in Canada. Including motorcycles, at home there are 2 German, 1 Swedish, 1 Italian, and 3 Japanese.

American 100% since first car!

84 VW GTI-Pennsylvania
90-Subaru Legacy - Indiana
95 Honda Civic-Ohio
2005-Subaru Legacy Indiana
2007 Acura MDX-Well Ontario

Yep I support US autoworker and not corrupt big 3 and UAW crooks

Not counting company cars which I did not own then the list below shows all the vehicles I have owned in the past and still to this day. The only one missing in a 1980 Honda Civic wagon which I sold off at 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
Other then a couple of VW's ( total junk) I've always had American brand cars.
I now have a Sentra and an Elantra and they have both been trouble free.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
American 100% since first car!

84 VW GTI-Pennsylvania
90-Subaru Legacy - Indiana
95 Honda Civic-Ohio
2005-Subaru Legacy Indiana
2007 Acura MDX-Well Ontario

Yep I support US autoworker and not corrupt big 3 and UAW crooks

This is a funny in a good way post.

I've got no love for the UAW either... I can only imagine how much better cars for a lower price the big three would be able to build without the UAW stranglehold on them.

years ago a guy i was working with started to bad mouth my Chrysler cars. i ask him what he drove. " Chevy or course. " i said to him i am very sure i can bad mouth my Chryslers a LOT better than you cause i have have a lot more of them than you. then he started talking about football

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've got no love for the UAW either... I can only imagine how much better cars for a lower price the big three would be able to build without the UAW stranglehold on them.

Yes, it is terrible for American blue collar workers to make good middle class wages and benefits.

I looked it up.
Average UAW pay is $27 hour not counting benefits.
So thats almost $1200 a week for unskilled labor to put parts on a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back