Magnetic oil drain plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan. Have owned several in different vehicles, Gold Plugs I think. Only times I have had an oil drain plug cross threaded in an oil pan was with non-stock magnetic drain plugs. Occurred once during a rare time I did not change my own oil and a second time when I was changing it myself.

If they are good, I wonder why the factory doesn't use 'em?
Just asking... I kinda like 'em even though I have never used one.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk

Cost, and most customers would never know/care.

Some GMC trucks leave the factory with them. When the truck is maintained properly, there may be a whisker of metal on it, and if it was abused, there would be a beard.

Originally Posted By: OilUzer
I may have to re-open the investigation or put in at the bottom of my research to do list ... lol
never researched the dipstick magnet.

One on the mower used to catch a good amount. Not so much anymore.
The Hardly has a cluster of 3. That thing sheds some iron in a hurry...

I kind of like the magnetic dipstick idea. But now i wonder, are you going to magnetize the entire dipstick tube. Sliding the magnet in and out of the tube may magnetize the dipstick tube , unless its plastic.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I kind of like the magnetic dipstick idea. But now i wonder, are you going to magnetize the entire dipstick tube. Sliding the magnet in and out of the tube may magnetize the dipstick tube , unless its plastic.

If that happens (its a fairly low exposure) I can't see it'd be much of a problem. The tube isn't a moving part, or near any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
I may have to re-open the investigation or put in at the bottom of my research to do list ... lol
never researched the dipstick magnet.

One on the mower used to catch a good amount. Not so much anymore.
The Hardly has a cluster of 3. That thing sheds some iron in a hurry...

Hardly as in Hardly-Davidson?

Those OE?

Last edited:
I've installed powerful magnets on 3 factory plugs. It's interesting to see how much they catch (so far the Corolla sheds more Fe).
Removing and installing the plugs on a steel oil pan is mildly annoying, magnetic plugs would be best when threaded into an Al oil pan.

Yeah the sportster. That is an OEM dipstick, ruffled up, and the three magnets fit just right. Epoxy all over to make a smooth surface so the fuzz comes right off when wiped, no crevasses to mess with.

And no, the stick does not become magnetized.

Edit: the first is plastic, mower.
Second goes directly into oil tank. Still, even if it does, slightly, the heat will demagnetize it. That and it is bolted to the block, dispersing the force to it, I'm guessing ther ln the second part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
I've installed powerful magnets on 3 factory plugs. It's interesting to see how much they catch (so far the Corolla sheds more Fe).
Removing and installing the plugs on a steel oil pan is mildly annoying, magnetic plugs would be best when threaded into an Al oil pan.

I use the magnetic "feature" of the plug when draining the oil, it pours out a bit slower and doesn't pour as far forward at the beginning. Especially handy on the jeep as I have to "jack up" the oil pan and not the vehicle. Adjusting the pan position isn't that much fun when it sits on 2 foot tall or better of wood blocks.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: spasm3

If that happens (its a fairly low exposure) I can't see it'd be much of a problem. The tube isn't a moving part, or near any.

I agree i don't see a problem other than, you may not get much on the stick magnet if it sticking to the tube. But then again the magnet on the stick is stronger than any magnetism the tube would gain. Just had to think about it though.

The LS1 in my old Z28 had one right from the factory.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
... The LS1 in my old Z28 had one right from the factory.
So did my Subaru's transmission. I have one in the Prius transmission now. Since installing it nearly 3 years ago, I haven't had it out to check what it has captured.

This one is from my elantra changed today. about 6500 on the oil. qsud 5w30.

This is on a samarium cobalt magnet i added to my drain plug.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Gold Plugs in every vehicle I own.
Gold Plug

Same here. Love the Gold Plugs

Me too!

Heh heh. I used a 3K mile OCI on the Borman 6. One change, I cross threaded the plug. On a Jeep this would have totaled the pan threads. AMHIK. Not with " Gut Cherman stcheel" The burred threads in the pan stripped the plug threads. I used a tap on the pan, and it took a few plugs to get one to last. Afterward, the only thing the magnet picked up was the thread curls peeling off the plug.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back